Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> PVC traveling rod storage?

Message Subject: PVC traveling rod storage?
muskiehunter51
Posted 4/26/2019 12:59 PM (#936311)
Subject: PVC traveling rod storage?

I will be driving 7 hours to Hayward Wisconsin in a few months and ill be taking my 8'6" Chaos rod with us and I'm thinking about building some type of cheap PVC tube to mount to the roof, I will have a total of three rods (kids one piece rods) I'm taking but I am curious what you would do about them banging around inside and getting damaged eyelets or just damaged in general. Any thoughts?
Mojo1269
Posted 4/26/2019 1:25 PM (#936314 - in reply to #936311)
Subject: RE: PVC traveling rod storage?

Just put them in a rod sock and they will be fine inside a PVC tube. I made one of those years back. There is also irrigation PVC that has holes in that is lighter than the solid PVC. Either work...
Pepper
Posted 4/26/2019 4:14 PM (#936333 - in reply to #936311)
Subject: Re: PVC traveling rod storage?

Or you could find a carpet store and see if u can get a used tube from them. Lighter than PCV. I have used it to ship rods in.
bigbite
Posted 4/26/2019 7:36 PM (#936340 - in reply to #936333)

I don't think that the carpet tube would hold up in the rain over time. I've used light weight pvc with one end having a sealed cap and the other end having a female cap that a threaded cap could fit into. You could also drill through the threaded cap and slip a long bolt through it with a hole drilled in the hole that would allow a paddle lock shackle to pass through it. That would be an effective way to deter theft.

You could wrap the rods in rags. That would be a low tech, cheap way of protecting them.

Edited by bigbite 4/26/2019 7:40 PM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 4/26/2019 8:43 PM (#936346 - in reply to #936311)

Bubble wrap. Cheap and you can get small pieces anywhere that does UPS shipping.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/26/2019 8:56 PM (#936350 - in reply to #936346)

I just cut 2" pieces of 30R7 1/2" fuel line and put them over the tips of the rods so my guides don't get messed up in the rod tubes, rod lockers, pvc or whatever method of transit is required,. It costs basically nothing, and will prevent you from having to worry about rods getting damaged or replacing tip tops on the fly.

As a side note, I always carry a set of spare tip tops in the boat, a lighter, and some rod tip glue. $10 investment that has saved the day more than once...
muskiehunter51
Posted 4/26/2019 9:09 PM (#936355 - in reply to #936340)

bigbite - 4/26/2019 7:36 PM

I don't think that the carpet tube would hold up in the rain over time. I've used light weight pvc with one end having a sealed cap and the other end having a female cap that a threaded cap could fit into. You could also drill through the threaded cap and slip a long bolt through it with a hole drilled in the hole that would allow a paddle lock shackle to pass through it. That would be an effective way to deter theft.

You could wrap the rods in rags. That would be a low tech, cheap way of protecting them.

That is exactly what I had though about doing, bolt and all. Lol
Sidejack
Posted 4/27/2019 8:30 AM (#936361 - in reply to #936355)

The perforrated drain tile tubing is cheaper, lighter, and much easier to secure with all the holes. Permanent cap on one end and expanding plug on the other.
Under $15 total minus bungees/rope.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(PDP.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Plug.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PDP.JPG (11KB - 384 downloads)
Attachments Plug.JPG (19KB - 379 downloads)
gregk9
Posted 4/28/2019 1:18 AM (#936390 - in reply to #936311)

https://youtu.be/ZUvJdQhkRYA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)