Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Best 75 hp tiller

Reply New post
Message Subject: Best 75 hp tiller
Muskies247
Posted 8/5/2019 2:10 AM (#943779)
Subject: Best 75 hp tiller

Pro guide 1675
Which engine is best
75 hp tiller
sworrall
Posted 8/5/2019 11:51 AM (#943811 - in reply to #943779)
Subject: Re: Best 75 hp tiller

There is no 'best'. All the new 4 strokes are well built and offer similar stats, and the Evinrude 2 stroke has a good reputation. In reality it comes down to price and service near you and where you fish.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 8/5/2019 1:26 PM (#943817 - in reply to #943779)

Yamaha or mercury, because you can add hydraulic steering and both have fantastic tiller handles.
curleytail
Posted 8/5/2019 6:12 PM (#943841 - in reply to #943779)

I can't say which is the best but i bought my boat with a 2008 Yamaha that had a little more than 600 hours 4 years ago. It still purrs like a kitten and I think it does a good job of powering the hull it's bolted to. I've been impressed by the Suzuki motors I've seen also.

The ability to have power or at least hydraulic steering is nice though. My Yammi has the old Titan steering and it's very nice to have on the 75.
VMS
Posted 8/6/2019 9:25 PM (#943948 - in reply to #943811)

sworrall - 8/5/2019 11:51 AM

There is no 'best'. All the new 4 strokes are well built and offer similar stats, and the Evinrude 2 stroke has a good reputation. In reality it comes down to price and service near you and where you fish.

This is spot on.
Nomadmusky
Posted 8/7/2019 8:42 AM (#943973 - in reply to #943779)
Subject: RE: Best 75 hp tiller

I would chime in with the "there is no best" reply as well. I just did an exhaustive search on a new motor after 29 years and I'm in a similar horsepower category as you.

I ended up with a 90 Yamaha, and I love the motor, that being said opportunity was part of that process.

In the Yamaha, I would look at the 70 vs. the 75, it's lighter and extremely efficient, the 75 is in the class with the bigger motors and not sure the weight is worth it for a boat your size.

The Merc's have been around our area forever and is what I had, there is someone to service it around every corner and that is valuable if and when you have an issue, but you may never need that.

The Evinrude is amazingly light and efficient right now as well as fast,

The suzi's are a motor you never hear an owner say a bad thing about and the Hondas were the innovators of the 4 stroke.

It's a good time to be buying outboards, there is a lot of good technology.

Nomad.
madmurph
Posted 8/7/2019 6:42 PM (#944015 - in reply to #943779)

If you want a four stroke, you have excellent motors to choose from any of the main four; Honda, Mercury, Suzuki or Yamaha. I think they're all excellent motors.

If you want a two stroke, your choice is Evinrude, which is also an excellent motor. Not at all like the two strokes of old. It is extremely quiet, efficient and smoke free, just like a four stroke. The 10 year warranty that is offered by Evinrude is also a big plus, as is no break in period and no service for three years.

You really can't go wrong with any of the above big five manufacturers today.

Having said that, I would suggest having the dealer be a big factor in your decision. Choose a motor from a dealer that is reasonably close to home and that is reputable in both their sales and service departments and you will be happy with what ever brand that you choose.

Edited by madmurph 8/7/2019 6:47 PM
tyler k
Posted 8/8/2019 10:45 AM (#944034 - in reply to #943779)

Exactly.
I currently have a Honda, good motor, quiet and sips gas, but if I do need service the hands down top marine service department in the area is not a Honda dealer, so I have to drive further for service at dealerships with lesser reputations which is not ideal.
Nomadmusky
Posted 8/8/2019 1:34 PM (#944041 - in reply to #943779)

One other factor to think about is how long will your local dealer be around. Now days these motors last longer than a lot of local dealers, so you may want to think about the popularity of the motor in your area and the likelihood that there will be a dealer in business with your brand when you need them.
miket55
Posted 8/9/2019 10:52 PM (#945110 - in reply to #944041)

Nomadmusky - 8/8/2019 2:34 PM

One other factor to think about is how long will your local dealer be around. Now days these motors last longer than a lot of local dealers, so you may want to think about the popularity of the motor in your area and the likelihood that there will be a dealer in business with your brand when you need them.

Just curious.. but how can one accurately determine that?

I found a marina in my area that paid for the more than their competent mechanic to get-the-latest-up-to-datest training.. I'd arrange for work to be done during their off season, that being when their marina was high and dry due to the winter drawdown.

Unfortunately several years ago, there was an issue with seepage at the dam on this particular lake. It was pulled down 10' below winter pool in the fall of '14, and the work won't be finished untill the summer of '22.. Needless to say, they went out of business..

You just never know..
North of 8
Posted 8/10/2019 1:48 PM (#945129 - in reply to #945110)

Yes, you can never tell with dealers. I bought a used Lund with two Suzuki motors, had been purchased from one of the longest operating dealers in the Northwoods. Last year I had an issue with the kicker and found out they no longer serviced Suzuki motors, which they had carried for years. The next Suzuki dealer is half hour further away. Good service, great guy to work with but hour more round trip. He said the other dealer had to drop Suzuki because Mercury wouldn't let them sell Lunds if they continued with the Suzuki brand as well as Mercury. And Lund is the dealer's biggest seller.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 8/10/2019 5:49 PM (#945135 - in reply to #943817)

Pat Hoolihan - 8/5/2019 1:26 PM

Yamaha or mercury, because you can add hydraulic steering and both have fantastic tiller handles.

Pat I noticed you are selling your Warrior. Whats next? Staying with a tiller & Yamaha?
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 8/10/2019 6:07 PM (#945137 - in reply to #945135)

Brian Hoffies - 8/10/2019 5:49 PM

Pat Hoolihan - 8/5/2019 1:26 PM

Pat I noticed you are selling your Warrior. Whats next? Staying with a tiller & Yamaha?

Yup, I'd like to get into a 2090 with a 200 SHO. Steering wheels belong in cars, not boats
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)