Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> going from suzuki 4 stroke, to merc optimax

Reply New post
Message Subject: going from suzuki 4 stroke, to merc optimax
Dave T.
Posted 3/22/2019 11:11 AM (#933678)
Subject: going from suzuki 4 stroke, to merc optimax

hey all, looking at getting a new boat, but would be leaving a 4 stroke and going to an optimax.. which I really prefer not to do.

also thinking of swapping motors so I can keep my 4 stroke, but motor would be 5 years older than the optimax. and don't know what kind of costs/complications that would involve..

thoughts or suggestions?

thanks
VMS
Posted 3/22/2019 11:38 AM (#933681 - in reply to #933678)
Subject: Re: going from suzuki 4 stroke, to merc optimax

Hi Dave,

To be honest, switching to the 2 stroke direct injected models is really not any huge issue... The synthetic oils they use are so good, the motors don't need a bunch of oil like the older 2 stroke models did, and...at least for Etec engines, the computer adjusts how much oil is needed. I am assuming the optimax would be similar in this regard....someone would have to chime in on that end of things.

Efficiency-wise, it's almost a wash these days, and in some cases, the 2 stroke direct injected models can get better mileage and run cleaner than their 4 stroke counterparts.... All the while, being a little lighter engine overall, and much much better low end torque that 2 stroke engines were really known for.

I don't think you can go wrong going DFI 2 stroke. The first generation engines (etec and optimax 200 I believe) had their issues, but since being out there for close to 20 years now, the bugs have all been worked out and things run really well... Not to knock the 4 stroke family of engines in any brand as they are bulletproof too... maybe a touch quieter while idling, but the difference is very minimal.

If you choose to keep your current 4 stroke, you can do so, but I would guess there will be an extra rigging charge unless you are going to a boat with the same rigging as your motor (yamaha to yamaha, etc.). Then it's just a matter of removing the one engine from your navigator now, and moving it to the new rig...hook up the new wiring that would be prerigged on it, and you are good to go. If the new rig has different brand rigging, it might be a bit more involved, and that, unfortunately is more money out of your pocket....possibly not even worth the time or cost to do it.

Shoot me a text...I'd love to hear what boat you found!!

Steve

Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/23/2019 5:02 AM (#933714 - in reply to #933678)

Pass
Landry
Posted 3/23/2019 10:41 AM (#933722 - in reply to #933678)

I went from a 70 Johnson(Suzuki) 4 stoke to a 75 optimax cause I got a killer deal on an almost new rig and the Johnson has a ton of hours. My dealer/mechanic believes that 4 strokes are more reliable and long lasting - as in he rarely gets them back in for repair. However, my optimax has been solid and it costs about the same to run as the 4 stroke. It is louder and smokier but only minimally. So in the end they run equally good and cheap - as for longevity - well only time will tell.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)