Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ranger 680t first run motor height?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ranger 680t first run motor height?
Tomkat
Posted 5/28/2019 9:15 AM (#937980)
Subject: Ranger 680t first run motor height?

Yamaha f50 solas 3 blade 12 pitch prop motor raised up 1 hole. The boat did 32 mph wot and planed very easily at around half throttle no issues with prop blowing out on turns. I was by myself and have no tach so no idea on rpms. I was wondering if it would be worth experimenting with motor height or am I getting about what I can expect with this rig? Still curious to try 4 blade for when the boat is more heavily loaded if it feels sluggish. This is my first tiller boat and it feels fast enough for me! I was on Lake Ontario with a bit of chop and it is much smoother than my 2 previous aluminum boats. I see why people like these old boats.
VMS
Posted 5/28/2019 9:58 AM (#937985 - in reply to #937980)
Subject: Re: Ranger 680t first run motor height?

Hiya,

I'd say give it a try... If the prop stayed hooked up while turning and you were trimmed optimally, you most likely can go up another hole.

There is always a trade off, though...

The higher the motor is off the transom, the more air is introduced to the prop fins, so prop slip goes up...but...if the prop is able to stay hooked up, you will see about a 100 RPM increase which will be about 1mph at top end, the bow will rise less on holeshot, and you may have to trim down a little on turns. I set my rigs up this way so when running straight, the boat is as efficient as it can possibly be. On a motor of that size, you can make the change in the parking lot with the trailer and be ready to try again...

Steve
GoalieDad30
Posted 5/28/2019 11:55 AM (#937990 - in reply to #937980)
Subject: RE: Ranger 680t first run motor height?

Those boats are very stern heavy if you have the built in tank under the splash-well. The Solas prop has a lot of lift (stern) and is a good choice. That is what I ended up running on my 681T with a Yamaha F60. 32 MPH is about what you are going to get.

I looked at the Powertech 4 blade SST that I tried, it was a 13" pitch and too big for the rig. But super, super smooth and if I had kept the boat would have traded down to an 11" pitch in that model.
Tomkat
Posted 5/28/2019 12:52 PM (#937993 - in reply to #937980)
Subject: Re: Ranger 680t first run motor height?

Thx for the info I do have the built in tank under the transom I think it may be 14 gallons. I never thought of lifting the motor using the trailer I’ll need to see that operation on video first. I would just like to be set up as efficiently as possible I am going to get the Lowrance cable which will give me all of the engine specs on the screen. I’ll bring along another person and fishing gear next time to see the effect before making any changes. But so far so good I was concerned the boat was going to be really slow to plane but it jumps up in no time.Hopefully 1 more person doesn’t make a huge difference. If it does maybe 11 pitch 4 blade as a second prop will be the ticket.

Edited by Tomkat 5/28/2019 1:32 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)