Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Who got hooked?

Message Subject: Who got hooked?
Junkman
Posted 4/3/2019 7:45 AM (#934458)
Subject: Who got hooked?

Still getting suckered on really pretty baits? I am! And, turning Seventy this year, I thought I was getting immune. First, the best way to judge a bait (or a technique) is using it where a lot of fish are being caught. It’s only when you have useable data that you can really draw conclusions. Last week I bought a crank bait almost, sort of like, kinda just like my favorite trolling bait. But, it was prettier, really prettier and sleek looking and I was totally wowed by the incredible wobble in the water. In short, I loved it. I loved it enough to leave on three hours without a fish when I should have caught at least half a dozen. I was hooked, not the fish. If you have one (or thirty) of those baits, and especially if you stood in line to overpay for it, THROW it away! Keep the hooks.
horsehunter
Posted 4/3/2019 8:21 AM (#934465 - in reply to #934458)
Subject: Re: Who got hooked?

At 70 you're just a kid and still learning but I thought you knew enough not to buy paint. What I do know is if you are fishing where you expect to catch a fish every 30 minutes I want to come and fish with you unless they are all dinks. You should come up here and fish the big empty.

Edited by horsehunter 4/3/2019 9:18 AM
Junkman
Posted 4/3/2019 11:12 AM (#934487 - in reply to #934458)

Just trolling the inshore water near my house, but my normal bait will pick up reds, Snook, Ladyfish and my favorite fighter Jack Crevalle. This particular bait saw no takers.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/3/2019 11:42 AM (#934494 - in reply to #934458)

I've got boxes of them. How do you justify trying a new/unproven lure when the one you have on has worked in the past and is working today? The only time we try unproven lures is when all the usual tools are not doing the job. And guess what, they don't work. This lure sucks! Yep. And if you threw it on a day when the fish were going you'd be sleeping with it under your pillow.

Always said I was going to take a box of lures I've never used or never caught fish on up to Canada and fish with them all for a week. Yeah, like that will ever happen.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/3/2019 2:00 PM (#934512 - in reply to #934494)

esoxaddict - 4/3/2019 11:42 AM
Always said I was going to take a box of lures I've never used or never caught fish on up to Canada and fish with them all for a week. Yeah, like that will ever happen.

The guides wouldn’t let you in the boat with that junk!
esoxaddict
Posted 4/3/2019 2:22 PM (#934525 - in reply to #934512)

Pointerpride102 - 4/3/2019 2:00 PM

esoxaddict - 4/3/2019 11:42 AM

The guides wouldn’t let you in the boat with that junk! ;)

You'd be surprised. Although I do know a guide who loves to tell the story about a guy who showed up with 3 lakewoods for a day of sucker fishing late in the fall.
Larry Ramsell
Posted 4/4/2019 7:14 AM (#934588 - in reply to #934458)

Sounds like a client I had in my guiding days. Showed up with 3 large Lakewoods and one small one and wanted to know if he could bring them all. I told him he was the one that was going to have to crawl over them. He had never caught a decent fish and used only 6 lures all day! Did get him his personal best however.
UglyPike
Posted 4/4/2019 7:43 AM (#934589 - in reply to #934458)

I think a lot of us are about to be hooked on nice baits - especially those of us going to the Muskie Odyssey in Ontario in a couple weeks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)