Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trolling questions

Message Subject: Trolling questions
Pepper
Posted 11/4/2019 1:50 PM (#949414)
Subject: Trolling questions

What weight line do you use for trolling? Does anyone make a metered line in 80# or greater ?
muskyhunter07
Posted 11/4/2019 3:06 PM (#949415 - in reply to #949414)
Subject: Re: Trolling questions

80# suffix 832 and 50lb hi-seas mono
joh10891
Posted 11/4/2019 4:49 PM (#949416 - in reply to #949414)
Subject: RE: Trolling questions

Favorite for all-around is 100lb masterbraid, but also run 100lb powerpro. To answer your 2nd question yes, Powerpro Depth Hunter is available in 80lb and 100lb too, same with Tuf-Line XP Indicator Spectra.

Edited by joh10891 11/4/2019 4:50 PM
woodieb8
Posted 11/4/2019 6:47 PM (#949428 - in reply to #949414)

50lb mono. .use your reel drag .
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/4/2019 7:05 PM (#949430 - in reply to #949428)

woodieb8 - 11/4/2019 6:47 PM 50lb mono. .use your reel drag .

x2 40lb mono keeps them pinned. 

jchiggins
Posted 11/4/2019 9:07 PM (#949436 - in reply to #949414)

100# power pro and 40# big game.
RLSea
Posted 11/4/2019 10:34 PM (#949438 - in reply to #949414)

Not to hijack this thread, but for those of you who use both mono and braid, when do you use each?
muskyhunter07
Posted 11/5/2019 7:38 AM (#949462 - in reply to #949414)

I use braid for all my down/ boat rods, and mono for all my board rods.
mseybert
Posted 11/10/2019 8:09 AM (#949654 - in reply to #949414)

I use 80 or 100 pound masterbriad, the 100 that I have is metered.
supertrollr
Posted 11/10/2019 10:36 AM (#949658 - in reply to #949414)

braid is the best for all condition minus planer board.im using near 100 pounds because most treble like 3551 will bent when you are snagged to the bottom ,so you don'T lose lures or you don't need to use lure retriever .
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/11/2019 12:24 PM (#949688 - in reply to #949658)

Why do most anglers and professional trollers like woodyb8 use monofilament on St. Clair... because they're just being cheap and don't mind losing fish... or because it helps them to put more fish in the boat? I switched to mono out of utter frustration after losing several large hooked fish halfway back to the boat... and haven't looked back since.

I had extensive casting and trolling background with braid, so was also very skeptical of mono before switching.  However, after thinking about it I determined that any comparisons I was making to casting with braid simply does not hold water.

When casting most of the time you are pointing your rod at the lure and when the fish strikes you are instantly setting the hook by bending the rod and putting pressure at the initial strike.  When you're trolling everything is already loaded and tight, and although you would think the braid would have the edge getting hooks initially (and this might very well be true), any perceived advantage is negated once the fish is hooked IMHO.

The only time I use braid for trolling is when moving slow, like under 2.5 MPH, then getting hooks quickly with the near zero stretch becomes more important to me.

supertrollr
Posted 11/11/2019 1:15 PM (#949694 - in reply to #949688)

the lil fat guy on the right will catch more giants in just a year than the whole name of lsc you could drop and guess what he use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqGGadhwuVo
mono stretch is junk ,it's the total opposite of what you want . END OF DISCUSSION lsc is loaded of guys that are fishing like nowhere else. im trolling since more than 25 years an d will not use trash mono to make you happy
horsehunter
Posted 11/11/2019 2:56 PM (#949699 - in reply to #949414)

Laz uses single strand wire a lot of the time. I've had several days running 4 rods 3 braid and 1 wire (45 lb monel ) and all fish came on the wire. Don't really know if it's extra depth, vibration or in some cases the first bait through. I like it for grinding bottom. I gave up on mono in the 90's but then I was a caster and felt like I was fishing with a rubber band back then 36 lb dacron was the standard.
14ledo81
Posted 11/11/2019 3:09 PM (#949703 - in reply to #949694)

supertrollr - 11/11/2019 1:15 PM

the lil fat guy on the right will catch more giants in just a year than the whole name of lsc you could drop and guess what he use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqGGadhwuVo
mono stretch is junk ,it's the total opposite of what you want . END OF DISCUSSION lsc is loaded of guys that are fishing like nowhere else. im trolling since more than 25 years an d will not use trash mono to make you happy

Well I guess that does it guys.

When supertrollr says its the "END OF DISCUSSION", thats pretty much it.
supertrollr
Posted 11/11/2019 3:38 PM (#949709 - in reply to #949703)

was not talking about you and the others. the end for me.lsc is unique ,the best way to get trouble is to act like lsc guys
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/11/2019 9:09 PM (#949718 - in reply to #949709)

Super trollr, I would like to hear some good reasons why you feel mono is junk other than “Laz uses it”. Seriously, have you experienced catching any decent number of muskies trolling with mono? IMHO anyone can repeat or copy what they've heard, or seen on YouTube.

How about we just stick to making recommendations from our own experience so that others with less experience can better weigh the pros and cons and then make better, more informed decisions.

Your statement of mono being junk is without substance if you have never used it.

Jerry Newman
Posted 11/11/2019 9:26 PM (#949719 - in reply to #949699)

horsehunter - 11/11/2019 2:56 PM Laz uses single strand wire a lot of the time. I've had several days running 4 rods 3 braid and 1 wire (45 lb monel ) and all fish came on the wire. Don't really know if it's extra depth, vibration or in some cases the first bait through. I like it for grinding bottom. I gave up on mono in the 90's but then I was a caster and felt like I was fishing with a rubber band back then 36 lb dacron was the standard.

Years ago I interviewed Martin Williamson about his big fish and he gave me a tip while fishing with friends; “shorten your line so your the first lure through”. We both chuckled about doing that to r friends, but it's also going to put the percentages in your favor so... he was a very nice man.

I have friends who have fished with ML quite a bit, and they all seemed to think that the wire line adds “something”.  I don't necessarily buy that but, there's no doubt that wire can be a useful tool when used properly.  The most obvious is extra lure depth, and it's also almost always the first lure through as you say. Those are 2 lethal combinations, especiallyin clear water situations.

I would use the old dacron before mono casting

ToddM
Posted 11/12/2019 6:49 AM (#949724 - in reply to #949414)

No one is forcing anyone to do anything, this is just a discussion. I also agree with Jerry 100%. If I do use mono when trolling slow it's always my shortest lines.

Salmon fisherman use wire line, one for extra depth on dypsey divers and the other is many believe the line gives off a vibration that other lines do not that attracks fish.

As far as first bait through I guess it's how you are trolling. I could see it if you are running all down rods but once you put planer boards in the mix you are spread out. On LSC, super's favorite place, I don't run a down rod when it gets cold. Seems like any rod can get hit there. When I used to troll the fox chain my planer closest to the weed edge was always king. On a shield lake I would want to be first through on the shallow side of the boat.
horsehunter
Posted 11/12/2019 7:11 AM (#949727 - in reply to #949414)

I'm a believer in the harmonics of the wire. Wire runs deeper than mono but at the lead lengths used for muskies it wouldn't amount to anything depth wise over braid. But now you have me thinking about where I want to run a lure back on a long line but keep it high I should try heavy mono .
kdawg
Posted 11/12/2019 8:27 AM (#949740 - in reply to #949727)

Todd, I'm not sure all salmon fisherman use wire line. The last time I was out on Lake Michigan, the Capt. was trolling 12lb. Ande mono. And I know this is apples and oranges comparison, but I think most saltwater guys troll heavy mono. Kdawg
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/12/2019 9:07 AM (#949747 - in reply to #949740)

That's a good point HH because normally you're not getting that much extra depth with wire unless long lining. I actually quit wire about 15 years ago, mainly because it's kinky and just harder to manage.  I can remember the exact circumstance; was fishing with my good friend Bruce Wisner on the Elk Chain, and because it was dark I couldn't see the loop the wire line, when I went to pull my lure back up, it was gone. We were up early fishing the same area the next morning and with virtually no wind, there was my lure floating on the surface with a few feet of line, and what was left of the loop. You could also try a transom planer board if you want to run a bait further back, we use them to help separate the spread behind the boat. 

That sounds about right Todd; it's kind of amazing how you can almost predict which rods are going to go off after a while. About 10 years ago when we had Green Bay to ourselves all summer there was an unbelievable spot, on spot, on spot, that was rightly nicknamed the G spot. It was normally the first troll in the morning, and whenever I was with somebody new I would run the outside board on the edge of the weeds there (they actually came all the way to the surface then). Just before the G on that spot I would say; “ hey keep an eye on that outside board rod”… Zip - zip, they would usually say something like “are you F kidding me?”  That fishery is crazy beat up now... nothing that good lasts very long, but it was absolutely amazing then, way better than the Ottawa was even in the mid/late-90s.

horsehunter
Posted 11/12/2019 1:47 PM (#949769 - in reply to #949414)

I went down to Toronto this past summer to do a bit of salmon fishing with Hoser. As his friend Ian of Kings on The Run Charters didn't have a client one morning he suggested we jump on his boat. We ran 4 lines 2 riggers and 2 dipseys even tho we would have been allowed 6. What surprised me was Ian putting out 2 planner boards with no lines on them. I showed my puzzlement and he said it gives us space. Our action was constant with many doubles and I don't think we could have kept 2 more lines in the water. I haven't tried it muskie fishing but I've been places where its been considered. What I would like to try but for the expense is ditching the big boards and mast and trying outriggers.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 11/12/2019 3:30 PM (#949777 - in reply to #949769)

I troll 40 and 50# Hi Seas Grand Slam Bluewater. Been extremely happy with it.
Keeps fish pinned really good.
I get it from John from Stealth Tackle
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Header_GSBluewater.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Header_GSBluewater.jpg (75KB - 466 downloads)
dtaijo174
Posted 11/12/2019 4:15 PM (#949784 - in reply to #949414)

How long does #50+ mono last? I rarely troll and mostly keep my trolling set up stored in the garage until fall. How frequently would i have to change it out?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)