Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I GOT ONE! A BIG ONE! GET THE NET! Wait, it's a rock." Tomcat
- (Added by: Ranger)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Whittling Wood Carving knife recommendations

Message Subject: Whittling Wood Carving knife recommendations
HighonFirewood
Posted 12/25/2018 9:37 PM (#926742)
Subject: Whittling Wood Carving knife recommendations

Down the rabbit hole I go..I’ve been carving my own baits recently, and am looking for some decent priced sets or a specific knife I need. I’ve found some cool Japanese stuff but I’m in need of a shaping and a detail knife mainly..thanks!
mnmusky
Posted 12/26/2018 6:45 AM (#926745 - in reply to #926742)
Subject: Re: Whittling Wood Carving knife recommendations

flexcut for hand tooling. Foredom, or a air turbine like power carver, vortex f5 , turbo carver, etc. for power carving.
1VW
Posted 1/9/2019 7:33 AM (#927833 - in reply to #926742)

I think that the right knives & tools are going to be fairly specific to the scale (no pun intended) of what you're doing as well as what woods you are carving. I've carved hundreds of baits, amongst other things, with a homemade straight knife and an exacto. The straight knife is for stock removal and rough shaping, the exacto for detail. For your shaping knife, you want something with a nice spine, but not too thick, something like a Sloyd knife, Frost/Mora sell inexpensive but good ones. A blade length of about 3" is a good size so you don't hit the hilt of the knife on the bait when carving side profiles on bigger baits. For detail, my preference is for the red or black handled exacto because they fit my hand well and can be manipulated easily. Sometimes, I switch to the pen style exacto but that's pretty rare. I use this combo of knives for all my baits unless I'm using something harder than maple. If it's harder than maple, then out come the gouges & small drawknives, spokeshaves etc. or the (uggh) power carver if I have to.
My bait carving kit fits in a 6 x 8 box, usually filled mostly with woodchips. There's some sandpaper, a mini sanding block and a pencil somewhere in there too... Keeping it simple and super portable has let me tinker with new baits wherever and whenever I can.

Edited by 1VW 1/9/2019 7:42 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0989 (480x360).jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0990 (480x360).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0989 (480x360).jpg (139KB - 388 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0990 (480x360).jpg (134KB - 351 downloads)
HighonFirewood
Posted 1/9/2019 11:22 PM (#927923 - in reply to #927833)

1VW - 1/9/2019 6:33 AM

I think that the right knives & tools are going to be fairly specific to the scale (no pun intended) of what you're doing as well as what woods you are carving. I've carved hundreds of baits, amongst other things, with a homemade straight knife and an exacto. The straight knife is for stock removal and rough shaping, the exacto for detail. For your shaping knife, you want something with a nice spine, but not too thick, something like a Sloyd knife, Frost/Mora sell inexpensive but good ones. A blade length of about 3" is a good size so you don't hit the hilt of the knife on the bait when carving side profiles on bigger baits. For detail, my preference is for the red or black handled exacto because they fit my hand well and can be manipulated easily. Sometimes, I switch to the pen style exacto but that's pretty rare. I use this combo of knives for all my baits unless I'm using something harder than maple. If it's harder than maple, then out come the gouges & small drawknives, spokeshaves etc. or the (uggh) power carver if I have to.
My bait carving kit fits in a 6 x 8 box, usually filled mostly with woodchips. There's some sandpaper, a mini sanding block and a pencil somewhere in there too... Keeping it simple and super portable has let me tinker with new baits wherever and whenever I can.

Wow. Just wow. Those are epic!
Eastman03
Posted 1/10/2019 8:18 AM (#927940 - in reply to #926742)

Yea wow! Amazing carving, nice work!
1VW
Posted 1/11/2019 8:04 AM (#928080 - in reply to #926742)

Well, Thank you very much!
To make sure I give credit where it's due, though I carved all those baits, the jointed shad above the perch is not my design; it's a copy of a Mikko Okonen (Solarfall) bait - I couldn't get my hands on one so I made a bit larger copy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)