Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Looking at new boats - questions

Reply New post
Message Subject: Looking at new boats - questions
jtemp60
Posted 1/19/2019 3:23 PM (#928747)
Subject: Looking at new boats - questions

I'm looking at new fiberglass boats around 19' +/- in length and wondering if I could get some pro/cons off these boats. I mostly fish smaller lakes and mainly cast for muskie. But I'm also looking into getting into trolling bigger waters like greenbay. I was looking for input on the ride (how well it handles), how does it troll, why one is better than the other, etc

Skeeter WX1910, MX1825

Ranger 619 vs/fs, 1880 ms

Recon 985

Thanks justin

Edited by jtemp60 1/20/2019 6:23 AM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/20/2019 8:34 AM (#928782 - in reply to #928747)
Subject: RE: Looking at new boats - questions

jtemp60 - 1/19/2019 3:23 PM

I'm looking at new fiberglass boats around 19' +/- in length and wondering if I could get some pro/cons off these boats. I mostly fish smaller lakes and mainly cast for muskie. But I'm also looking into getting into trolling bigger waters like greenbay. I was looking for input on the ride (how well it handles), how does it troll, why one is better than the other, etc

Skeeter WX1910, MX1825

Ranger 619 vs/fs, 1880 ms

Recon 985

Thanks justin

Justin, not one is better then the other. They all have their plus's and really depend on your style of fishing. I remember fishing from a 15' wood boat that had a coffee can we would occasionally bail with. It floated and with a touch of common sense was a safe ride.

I have owned both Skeeter and Ranger boats although not the particular models you are looking at. I crawled around inside a Recon but have never been in one on the water. Both the Skeeter & Ranger had plenty of flotation, adequate casting deck for my style of fishing. Were a dry ride and had pretty good storage. Both trolled well but the Ranger because of the model sat much closer to the water than the Skeeter. But the Skeeter also had a deeper V.

If you are waiting for the PERFECT boat you won't be buying anytime soon. Every brand has it's pluses and it's warts. With the cost (either new or used) of boats you need to get in one to understand the differences. You need to identify whats important to you and the style you fish. Once you KNOW what you are looking for then look to catch a ride in that brand for a day. Many sites include a share a seat section and somebody may have a opening that runs the type of boat you want to get into. Also make a list of what guides run. Might need to find a guide and book a trip. Just about every dealer will have a guide they know who has the model you are interested in. Don't be afraid to ask the question.

Resale, cost, use for the family are key area's you need to identify.
Remember, dealers all sell the best brand on the market.
Most guys will not admit they made a mistake buying the boat they currently own.

And the most important thing.....it's YOUR money. Don't let anybody talk you into anything unless they are putting up half the money. lol

Or..........you can just become addicted to buying and selling boats like some of us are.
Mojo1269
Posted 1/21/2019 10:29 AM (#928866 - in reply to #928747)
Subject: Re: Looking at new boats - questions

Here my .02 cents...

I owned an 1860 Ranger. Great boat. Nice ride, big front deck. That being said I just ordered a 619. The price point between a maxed out 1880 and maxed out 619 is a lot closer than it used to be and with the added storage, speed, better hull etc it made no sense to not get a 619 for me this go around.

I looked hard at the 1825 MX when I bought my 1860 and the smaller front deck and wide gunnels are two major reasons I ruled out the boat. The WX1910 is a great boat but again your deck space is limited and if you are a caster more than a troller that may be something to consider. ITs deeper than the MX so there could be some stooping over on figure 8's depending on your size & rod length.

Recon's are a cool boat with a lot of options most musky angler would want.. I would not buy one though due to the fact they do not have a dealer network and if you had issues with the boat you could find yourself challenged to get it fixed. For me, this is a risk I am not willing to take. All boats have issues and having a dealer you bought the boat from in your corner can be invaluable to getting stuff done timely.

Edited by Mojo1269 1/21/2019 10:31 AM
gregk9
Posted 1/21/2019 10:45 AM (#928867 - in reply to #928866)

Mojo1269 - 1/21/2019 10:29 AM

I looked hard at the 1825 MX when I bought my 1860 and the smaller front deck and wide gunnels are two major reasons I ruled out the boat. .

Wide gunnels?
Mojo1269
Posted 1/21/2019 10:49 AM (#928868 - in reply to #928867)

Whatever you want to call the space form the deck to the water. The frame/gunnel/space is thicker on Skeeter than a Ranger.
vegas492
Posted 1/21/2019 11:08 AM (#928871 - in reply to #928747)

Fished in a Recon. Fished in an 1880. Own a 619.

Recon wise...I didn't like the way it handled big water...compared to my 619. I didn't like the seats or how they setup with a windshield. We were sitting above the windshield and had to duck down. Front deck was smaller than a 619, too. But still, it is a nice boat.

1880....the drawback for me (and a plus for others) is the back of the boat. No real casting deck. Ideal for trolling. Very ideal. Tons of rooms to walk around. My buddy owns an 1880, and it is perfect for him. I do like it. It takes big water well, too. Single axle trailer there, makes it easy to wiggle it around in the garage.

619. Even better for bigger water, large front deck, you can get a factory rear deck for casting, or like some have done on here, you can build one yourself. Dual axle trailer, can't pull that thing left or right in the garage. Does trailer really, really well.

You listed a lot of really nice boats, now find the "one" for you. Get in them. Talk to others and go for rides to see what you really like. With those boats, it is all going to come down to personal preference and what you want/need from a boat.

About the only real "advice" I can give you, besides riding in these boats, is this.... Trolling motor and electronics. Whatever you get, get a high end graph and I'd say to get 36V trolling motor power. That extra battery will help (some) in rougher water for riding purposes (weight) and it is nice to not worry about the batteries losing power throughout the day.
Good luck in finding your next rig!

Edited by vegas492 1/21/2019 11:10 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 1/21/2019 1:50 PM (#928878 - in reply to #928871)

I’d go with the 619. It will have better performance on big water than the 1880, and as always, excellent resale value.
gregk9
Posted 1/21/2019 5:36 PM (#928895 - in reply to #928868)

Mojo1269 - 1/21/2019 10:49 AM

Whatever you want to call the space form the deck to the water. The frame/gunnel/space is thicker on Skeeter than a Ranger.

Tall gunnels or freeboard.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)