Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Split grips?

Message Subject: Split grips?
MuskyTime
Posted 3/4/2019 7:19 AM (#932256)
Subject: Split grips?

Just curious about those of you who own and use split grips for muskie fishing.
For those of you that use split grips what percentage of the rods that you use are split grips?

What are your favorite baits to throw with split grips?

For those of you that use split grips, what in your opinion makes using split grips better than a full grip such as sensitivity or lighter weight?

Or do you just have a specific application only such as blades and top water?

Just wondering as they seemed to be the hot ticket item a few years ago and now you don’t hear much talk about them anymore. Or I’m just out of the loop! I have never used them for muskie fishing and am interested in seeing what anglers have to say now that they have been on the market a while. Are the majority of rod makers tending towards them or away from?

Thanks much!

Ed
Pepper
Posted 3/4/2019 7:27 AM (#932257 - in reply to #932256)
Subject: Re: Split grips?

I don’t own any rods with split grips. Have have fished with one when I went on a guide trip
I used it for the day but really didn’t care for it much. I wouldn’t buy one. But that is just my opinion. Others may like them
VMS
Posted 3/4/2019 9:05 AM (#932268 - in reply to #932256)

Hiya,

I have all split grips on my main rods and honestly, the only thing I notice is a smaller diameter pushing into the side of my body while fishing. Doesn't hurt, and is no big issue...just something to get used to using.

It's less cork to deal with, and because of that, I feel your hands are in the optimum position for casting using lever action of your elbows and forearms.

for me personally... it's a non-issue.

Steve
horsehunter
Posted 3/4/2019 9:42 AM (#932275 - in reply to #932256)

Don't like em, never used one, us dinosaur's resist change.
ToddC
Posted 3/4/2019 9:51 AM (#932277 - in reply to #932256)

I know from experience that my full cork rods will float if they ever accidentally hit the drink. That alone is a good enough reason for me.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/4/2019 10:30 AM (#932280 - in reply to #932257)

Pepper - 3/4/2019 7:27 AM

I don’t own any rods with split grips. Have have fished with one when I went on a guide trip
I used it for the day but really didn’t care for it much. I wouldn’t buy one. But that is just my opinion. Others may like them

Same here. Bought one several years ago and sold it after I used it for a few hours. I personally can feel them digging into my side and adding padding made the rod too bulky. I'll never buy another.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/4/2019 10:41 AM (#932282 - in reply to #932280)

I wont use them either.
1. I don't like them. Not comfortable for me.
2. As others have stated full cork rods float when customers chuck them in the lake or have fish rip rods out of their hands.
I have had fish rip 3 rods out of peoples hands and I have got all three rods back and by miracle all 3 fish were still attached and were boated.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Junkman
Posted 3/4/2019 11:08 AM (#932283 - in reply to #932256)

You might be missing the main difference in the rod being the reel seat placement. In two eight foot rods. One has more rod from reel to tip, the other has less. The split grip also gives you a real comfortable ball to help launch your cast. I’ve switched all my rods to split grips. Last, and with respect to some posters here, being stuck in old ways and ideas is nothing to brag about. The worst part is being older to think like that and then not using all today’s innovation to allow you a chance to compensate. Give the rods another chance!
horsehunter
Posted 3/4/2019 11:28 AM (#932285 - in reply to #932283)

Junkman - 3/4/2019 12:08 PM

You might be missing the main difference in the rod being the reel seat placement. In two eight foot rods. One has more rod from reel to tip, the other has less. The split grip also gives you a real comfortable ball to help launch your cast. I’ve switched all my rods to split grips. Last, and with respect to some posters here, being stuck in old ways and ideas is nothing to brag about. The worst part is being older to think like that and then not using all today’s innovation to allow you a chance to compensate. Give the rods another chance!

Trying new things before going back to what has served me well has cost me thousands over the years. Maybe you can help my daughter clean out the basement after I'm gone.At one point I counted over 50 rods and many hundred lures before I started lugging stuff to spring tackle sales and downsizing. Would like to get to 6 muskie trolling 3 casting 6 salmon and trout trolling and a couple of spinning rods.
curleytail
Posted 3/4/2019 11:48 AM (#932286 - in reply to #932283)

Junkman - 3/4/2019 11:08 AM

In your St. Croix world yes, the handle is longer on the split grip models. In customs or many others that isn't the case. I'm not sure why Croix uses such short handles on their full grip rods. Worked out okay though as after extending my full grip Big Nasty I now have a 9'4" rod vs 9 foot.

I like how split grips feel on the cast but I don't like how they feel on my ribs as much when I'm ripping baits hard all day. I do get used to it but notice a difference early in the season.

I've been moving back towards full grip rods. The splits are ok but don't give me any major benefit and I feel full grip is a little more multi functional.
gregk9
Posted 3/4/2019 12:29 PM (#932292 - in reply to #932283)

Junkman - 3/4/2019 11:08 AM

being stuck in old ways and ideas is nothing to brag about.

Sure it is when they're better.
Cedar
Posted 3/4/2019 1:54 PM (#932304 - in reply to #932256)
Subject: RE: Split grips?

From a rod builder perspective, I see the choice between split/full grip as mostly personal preference. Initially when they came out, there was a surge towards splits, but mostly because they were "new", and demand seems to have leveled out by now. Both types of grips pretty much do the same thing, and just look different.

I have been Musky fishing for over 40 years, so am not young. I have always preferred full grips because that is what I used for a long time. That being said, currently maybe 1/2 of my personal Musky rods are split grip, and the % will most likely stay that way. I use split grips primarily for medium, and medium heavy's just because I prefer those rods to be as light as possible, and I do like the look of them. For heavier rods, I prefer a larger full grip (but do have some split) mostly because there is more to hold on to. One type isn't "better" than the other, just different.

As far as sensitivity, that is kind of a mute point, as we are talking Musky fishing, and not live bait fishing for Walleye. There is typically nothing subtle when a Musky hits, but pretty much all of my Walleye rods are split grip.

In my opinion, full grip rods are more comfortable to fish with for extended times, especially jerk bait rods.

The floating aspect of a full cork handle that some have brought up is a good point. Although I have had split grip rods float, having a full cork handle & foregrip is a definite plus for added buoyancy. The I.D. of the rod blank (with the volume of air trapped inside), and the weight of the blank, along with everything on it also has a lot to do with a rod floating or not. A rod that floats with a reel on it is a good thing. Hope this adds some insight for the OP.
MuskyTime
Posted 3/4/2019 2:17 PM (#932306 - in reply to #932256)

Thanks for the reply's I was wondering if it was a personal preference thing or if they had an advantage over full cork handles.
Zinox
Posted 3/4/2019 2:44 PM (#932310 - in reply to #932256)

I fish almost only spit grip, mainly because i think it looks better, The only thing i really like is to have the flared section in the bottom of the rod, like that's build into the split grip, however have added it to the rod i have with full grip.
Just a small increase in thickness on the last 2.5 inches of the rear grip.
7ovr50
Posted 3/5/2019 5:33 AM (#932344 - in reply to #932256)

I have both styles. I use the full grip on jerk bait rods and jigging rods. Split grip on all other rods. Just feels right too me.
Outkast
Posted 3/5/2019 6:36 AM (#932346 - in reply to #932256)

Didn't really like split grips. But wrapping a bunch of tennis racket grip tape around split area is kinda nice. Makes a good cushion when burning baits and rods on your ribs
horsehunter
Posted 3/5/2019 7:12 AM (#932350 - in reply to #932256)

Manufacturers made rods a little longer each year so that people would buy the latest new and improved model. ( yes there is a case for long rods unless we go to the extreme ) Once we figured out a 12 foot jerk bait rod was a bit extreme. The manufactures in order to sell you more stuff came out with a split grip and told you it was lighter ( how much does 6 inches of cork weigh) or told you it forced you into correct hand placement ( think I already figured that one out. Manufactures do make some actual improvements mostly in materials used. But cosmetic changes like adding bigger and bigger fins to cars then reducing them back to nothing over time it sells more stuff. When fishing in close in the slop and making short accurate casts I'm still catching lots of fish on a six and a half foot St Croix jerk bait rod and a firetiger Suick . It's worked for hundreds a fish for almost 40 years IT AINT BROKE.
Don't get me started on people chasing unproven show colour lures at shows.
RJ_692
Posted 3/5/2019 7:22 AM (#932351 - in reply to #932256)

I have 4 St Croix LT rods and are an even 50/50 split grip and full cork. Big Nasty - full cork, Sling Blade - split grip, Long Ranger - full cork, Jerk - split grip. I really don't have a preference either way. I do kind of like the feeling of the butt end of the splits for casting but not so much more that i even really think about it when fishing.
Ciscokid82
Posted 3/5/2019 7:22 PM (#932400 - in reply to #932256)

I cut all my rod handles down to 6”, except my jerkbait rods. It’s easier to cast with one hand that way, and for that very reason I prefer full cork.
Fishysam
Posted 3/6/2019 4:55 PM (#932479 - in reply to #932256)

31 of my 33 combos are split grip, I hardly ever throw the other two, lighter weight = less fatigue after a trip.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)