Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Helix 5 questions

Reply New post
Message Subject: Helix 5 questions
RBC
Posted 12/18/2018 9:46 AM (#926142)
Subject: Helix 5 questions

I am thinking about buying the Helix 5 for winter and summer use. Anyone have any
experience with it? How's the gps base map? Does it have 1' contours everywhere ? Like the Canadian side of lotw?
Thx
sworrall
Posted 12/18/2018 9:58 AM (#926146 - in reply to #926142)
Subject: Re: Helix 5 questions

I have the ice model I am using now and ran an SI unit on my boat, really nice sonar for the money. Mapping is Lake Master, and is very detailed, but I do not see anything Canada in basemap here:

https://www.humminbird.com/learn/mapping/basemap
jonnysled
Posted 12/18/2018 11:27 AM (#926152 - in reply to #926146)

a good reference for how to convert your Helix 5 or 7 to the ice ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eA3EfIlxko
sworrall
Posted 12/18/2018 11:43 AM (#926153 - in reply to #926142)

This is cool too:

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/ice/ice-helix-7-...

Al you need for boat and ice in the biox. keith just got one as he's buying a new Lund this Winter and can use the sonar on the bow for sure.
jonnysled
Posted 12/18/2018 12:36 PM (#926160 - in reply to #926153)

i pop it off the Sled or ATV (both power wired for it with a ram mount) and then into the holder, so the ram ball mount on the ice base is a pretty slick option. the most expensive component at i think about $70 is the ice transducer, the other components aren't bad making it a $150.00 or so total retrofit from the base unit if you have one already. i've found the 5 to be pretty easy to use on the machines on ice and easy to see ...
Tony S
Posted 12/19/2018 1:51 PM (#926245 - in reply to #926142)
Subject: RE: Helix 5 questions

The base map does not have 1' contours of the Canadian side of LOTW. You will need to buy the lakemaster chip.
RBC
Posted 12/20/2018 9:49 AM (#926288 - in reply to #926142)

Thanks for the info everyone. Appreciate it
Baby Mallard
Posted 12/21/2018 9:34 AM (#926415 - in reply to #926160)

jonnysled - 12/18/2018 12:36 PM

i pop it off the Sled or ATV (both power wired for it with a ram mount) and then into the holder, so the ram ball mount on the ice base is a pretty slick option. the most expensive component at i think about $70 is the ice transducer, the other components aren't bad making it a $150.00 or so total retrofit from the base unit if you have one already. i've found the 5 to be pretty easy to use on the machines on ice and easy to see ...

I converted my Helix 7 SI GPS G2 from summer fishing to ice fishing. It ended up costing me about $150 as well to use as an ice fishing unit. The only thing I am finding out is my battery is only lasting about 7 hours on the ice. Many trips this would be ok but not for those days when I want to fish from sun up to sun down. I made a shuttle out of the Genz box, so it's not real convenient to switch batteries out of the box without unscrewing the case open. Anybody try a Lithium battery all day ice fishing in the Helix? Curious what the run time would be with a Lithium? I was also getting some pretty bad interference fishing by some guys who were using a vexilar and wasn't really able to figure out how to make it go away.

Edited by Baby Mallard 12/21/2018 9:35 AM
sworrall
Posted 12/21/2018 12:17 PM (#926436 - in reply to #926142)

Helix 5 Ice G2 in action:
http://upload.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=9946

Baby Mallard, just hit the check mark button on the front of the sonar, 6 steps of CHIRP Interference Rejection.

Lithium in a 10Ah could get you about 1.5 to 2X the time of a standard lead/acid.
14ledo81
Posted 12/21/2018 3:27 PM (#926467 - in reply to #926415)

Baby Mallard - 12/21/2018 9:34 AM

jonnysled - 12/18/2018 12:36 PM

I converted my Helix 7 SI GPS G2 from summer fishing to ice fishing. It ended up costing me about $150 as well to use as an ice fishing unit. The only thing I am finding out is my battery is only lasting about 7 hours on the ice. Many trips this would be ok but not for those days when I want to fish from sun up to sun down. I made a shuttle out of the Genz box, so it's not real convenient to switch batteries out of the box without unscrewing the case open. Anybody try a Lithium battery all day ice fishing in the Helix? Curious what the run time would be with a Lithium? I was also getting some pretty bad interference fishing by some guys who were using a vexilar and wasn't really able to figure out how to make it go away.

Turn down the screen brightness. That should help some. If you are inside a shelter, it doesn't need to be that bright anyway.
Baby Mallard
Posted 12/21/2018 5:19 PM (#926490 - in reply to #926467)

Yeah I have been playing around with all the different settings. The first 3 times I used the unit that check mark button worked for any interference issues. The last time I went out, I couldn't get any of the 6 options to correct the interference. Unless it just happened to be the spot I was fishing had bubbles rising from the bottom causing interference. Each time I go out, I seem to learn something new or come up with more questions about the Helix. I used a Vexilar for almost 20 years, so it's hard for me to not want to go back to something real basic.

Turning down the screen brightness should help the battery life last a little longer. I noticed my screen brightness is always automatically set at 10 right when I turn the unit on. So I have to try to remember to lower the brightness each time I go out when I start fishing each day.
sworrall
Posted 12/21/2018 10:41 PM (#926520 - in reply to #926490)

Baby Mallard - 12/21/2018 5:19 PM

Yeah I have been playing around with all the different settings. The first 3 times I used the unit that check mark button worked for any interference issues. The last time I went out, I couldn't get any of the 6 options to correct the interference. Unless it just happened to be the spot I was fishing had bubbles rising from the bottom causing interference. Each time I go out, I seem to learn something new or come up with more questions about the Helix. I used a Vexilar for almost 20 years, so it's hard for me to not want to go back to something real basic.

Turning down the screen brightness should help the battery life last a little longer. I noticed my screen brightness is always automatically set at 10 right when I turn the unit on. So I have to try to remember to lower the brightness each time I go out when I start fishing each day.

Set the gain as well, using the + and - arrows in the menu. Your settings will be displayed on the screen.
mtcook16
Posted 12/28/2018 1:20 PM (#926898 - in reply to #926142)

There is an all-season kit they make, ICE HELIX 7 G2N All-season. It includes all you need for summer use and ice fishing. https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/ice/ice-helix-7-...

Edited by mtcook16 12/28/2018 1:21 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)