Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Muskie gear for fishing stripers

Message Subject: Muskie gear for fishing stripers
BCT
Posted 4/23/2019 8:25 PM (#936133)
Subject: Muskie gear for fishing stripers

Hello All,

Looking for any advice on using muskie gear for striper fishing in salt water. I have an trip to Cape Cod coming up to fish stripers. I would like to pick up a new setup that will work well for this trip but also cross over for use with muskies back home. It seems everyone uses spinning rods for casting for stripers, not sure why a bait cast would work well too. That said I am not crazy about exposing my bait casting muskie reels to salt water. Any advice from those that may have done this before is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BCT
IAJustin
Posted 4/23/2019 10:22 PM (#936144 - in reply to #936133)
Subject: Re: Muskie gear for fishing stripers

Have not fished Stripers but done plenty of saltwater fishing shore and boat... are you gonna fish from shore? I can surf cast a 6000 size spinning reel / surf rod twice as far as I’ve ever thrown a Muskie bait-caster ... and the drags are unbelievable on higher end spinning reels ... casting saltwater shore or boat I use spinning gear 90 % of the time and match rods accordingly ...if you want to stick baitcaster something like a diawa Saltist or revo nacl would be a decent baitcaster for both
hahdawg
Posted 4/24/2019 8:19 AM (#936152 - in reply to #936133)

If you're fishing from a boat, you'll be fine as long as you rinse off your reels with freshwater when you're done. I have a 10+ year-old 400B that I originally used for stripers and blues.

I would not use a good musky reel from the beach, though, because sand ruins everything.
BCT
Posted 4/24/2019 11:45 AM (#936162 - in reply to #936133)

Thanks for the solid input guys. We will be fishing mostly the Cape Cod canal but will likely head to the beach a couple times. Should be a good time. I am looking at a two piece St. Croix spinning rod with a 5000 or 6000 size reel.

Any input from guys that have muskie fished with spinning gear on what set ups they like?
BCT
Posted 4/24/2019 1:22 PM (#936166 - in reply to #936133)

Thanks for the solid input guys. We will be fishing mostly the Cape Cod canal but will likely head to the beach a couple times. Should be a good time. I am looking at a two piece St. Croix spinning rod with a 5000 or 6000 size reel.

Any input from guys that have muskie fished with spinning gear on what set ups they like?
zombietrolling
Posted 4/24/2019 8:26 PM (#936190 - in reply to #936133)

Muskie reels and rods are fine for striper's, even fishing the beach as long as you can tear them down on a regular. I see you said you would be fishing @ the canal and the beach so you won't need this bit of advice but when fishing from a charter or head boat, switch to mono, braid will give the mates a hard time. Harder to break off.
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/25/2019 6:57 PM (#936268 - in reply to #936133)

We sell a ton of the Vexan Big Game inshore rods to striper guys. 86 MH or XH or the 9ft XH spinning Vexan Big Game. Great rod for them. We tested these rods by boat lifting stripers for a day....Not one rod broke...

https://vexan.com/product/vexan-inshore-rods/

James
BCT
Posted 4/25/2019 9:47 PM (#936273 - in reply to #936133)

Thanks Tackle Industries. Is the 8'-6" or 9' MH one or two piece rods? Looking for two piece due to airline size restrictions.

ARmuskyaddict
Posted 4/28/2019 2:48 PM (#936416 - in reply to #936133)

I used my H TDRs for live bait off boards the last few weekends. Worked fine. Kept the 100 lb braid on and tied on 50 yds of 40 lb mono. Got some decent ones, but the H action also limited feeling the fight a bit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)