Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Beginner advice

Message Subject: Beginner advice
Jonny15678
Posted 11/22/2018 10:42 AM (#924135)
Subject: Beginner advice

I’m new to fishing for Muskie and am not sure what kind of lure I should get. I will be fishing in a creek dark water, rocky areas.I’d like something that’s universal in weight and colors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Jonny15678 11/22/2018 10:56 AM
tolle141
Posted 11/22/2018 10:56 AM (#924138 - in reply to #924135)
Subject: Re: Beginner advice

Assuming you have the right release tools (pliers, knipex cutter, jaw spreader, and a BIG net), starter baits I'd recommend:
-jr cowgirl (black/nickel) - all season
-magdawg (pick whatever color you want) - all season particularly fall
-9 or 10" weighted suick - all season
-7 1/2" softtail phantom - all season, particularly early season and late fall
ToddM
Posted 11/22/2018 12:43 PM (#924149 - in reply to #924135)

Small Creek you want a medium sized bucktails single or double blades. Black and silver or chartuse blades. Twitch bait like a crane and a glide bait, an easy one to work like a helhound. Topwaters are great too you need a tail rotator. Jerkbaits can be good too at times, usually in colder water.
Craig Holland
Posted 11/22/2018 4:15 PM (#924163 - in reply to #924135)
Subject: RE: Beginner advice

Bulldawgs are also a good starter bait. If you had to pick a couple I'd pick bucktails 9s or 10s, some crankbaits and bulldawgs or Medusa's. I know you asked for one but really the season definitely dicates presentation. Also make sure you have a good rods and real to A handle bigger baits and B bring fish in as fast as to not hurt the fish.
true tiger tamer
Posted 11/23/2018 4:04 AM (#924185 - in reply to #924135)

Probably the closest thing to a one lure choice would be a medium sized crankbait that you could work slowly during cold water situations, and move quickly during warmer water. Lots of twitches thrown in on the retrieve most of the year. Color choice would depend on the streams predominate bait fish, though sliver and black or chrome and black will work almost anywhere. A reasonably priced crank that fits this bill isn't even designed for muskies, but works well is a Cotton Cordell Redfin. The 7" size is built plenty tough enough for muskies, though fish from the mid-forties on up can and sometimes do have the teeth and strength to put a tooth through the hollow plastic body, (chrome redfins will also lose the chrome plating from repeated attacks by toothy critters). Stay away from tailspinner topwaters unless you want to become a muskie addict (they work best in warmer water conditions) because the strikes will definitely hook more than the muskie. Good luck.
kdawg
Posted 11/23/2018 9:06 AM (#924196 - in reply to #924185)

What triple t said. Kdawg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)