Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fish mortality

Message Subject: Fish mortality
Ciscokid82
Posted 10/27/2018 9:45 AM (#921854)
Subject: Fish mortality

What due you think the mortality rate of fish is to improper fish handling and lack of experience or education? I know today’s anglers are more knowledgeable and better equipped than ever before but it seems like I see a lot of “release” pictures of fish with blood streaming from gills or HUGE tears around the mouth from hook sets. We seem to complain a lot about improper stocking or spearing but this has to have a bigger effect on our fisheries than I think people realize, and I’m talking all species here. Of course there will always be some mortality with fishing it’s unavoidable but knowing how hard to set the hook with certain baits( it’s different) or the amount of time to wait before setting the hook( being aware/ not fishing more lines than you can handle) is extremely important. Are we our own worst enemies?
sworrall
Posted 10/27/2018 9:49 AM (#921856 - in reply to #921854)
Subject: Re: Fish mortality

Yes, and always will be. Depends on who's handling the fish, and a tone of other variables, but <20% comes to mind including delayed mortality.
happy hooker
Posted 10/27/2018 3:59 PM (#921882 - in reply to #921856)

Fairly high on fish over 45,,that's when people struggle to get a grip and hold on tighter the fish of that size tend to make more creaking sounds when you lift them. And more pictures are taken because their more of a prize equalling more time out of water.
I really don't know if bumpboards are a good or bad thing because now you spend more time laying them down which if they start flopping their banging themselves around pretty good on a hard surface,,vs just laying a floating ruler next to them in the water.

Edited by happy hooker 10/27/2018 4:30 PM
North of 8
Posted 10/27/2018 5:27 PM (#921888 - in reply to #921882)

I am sure there is mortality from a variety of issues but as an old guy, I just think how much better it is today then when I was young and just about every musky over 30" got a club across the back of the head if caught.

A few years ago a since retired DNR fisheries tech said one thing he wished people would do if they release a fish that was stressed was to simply stay in the area for 15 minutes. He said as he went from lake to lake doing creels surveys in northern WI, he would find muskies that were killed by propeller strikes. He believed that in particular big fish, which tend to fight longer, get held out of water longer for photos, etc., take longer to gain strength, go down deeper. By just keeping the boat in the area for 15 minutes, gives them more time to recover and not get hit by another boat.
Will Schultz
Posted 10/29/2018 11:14 AM (#922011 - in reply to #921854)

Some good information here: http://fishlab.nres.illinois.edu/Reprints/Landsman_et_al_Muskellung...

Edited by Will Schultz 10/29/2018 12:19 PM
mikie
Posted 11/11/2018 11:08 AM (#923184 - in reply to #921854)

I'm informed that Muskies Inc, under the leadership of Jim Moore, is undertaking (sorry!) a study on fish mortality in southern fisheries, with several universities participating along with DNR's from WV and Va; later KY and possibly Ohia. Jim described how tagged fish will be tracked, and how some rearing ponds will be used as part of the study, too. He estimated that up to a quarter million $$ may be expended before the study is over. Focus will be on hot water releases.
Will it result in regulations, perhaps a closed summer season? Long way away, we'll have to see how the study pans out. m

Edited by mikie 11/11/2018 11:10 AM
CincySkeez
Posted 11/14/2018 11:27 AM (#923474 - in reply to #923184)

mikie - 11/11/2018 11:08 AM

I'm informed that Muskies Inc, under the leadership of Jim Moore, is undertaking (sorry!) a study on fish mortality in southern fisheries, with several universities participating along with DNR's from WV and Va; later KY and possibly Ohia. Jim described how tagged fish will be tracked, and how some rearing ponds will be used as part of the study, too. He estimated that up to a quarter million $$ may be expended before the study is over. Focus will be on hot water releases.
Will it result in regulations, perhaps a closed summer season? Long way away, we'll have to see how the study pans out. m

It's about time. I cant imagine how many fish at the Cave get caught and then die on the bottom. A lot of guys in Ohio are cavalier about fishing water above 80, it would be nice to have the data regarding the fish that are caught then.

Maybe the study will lead to a focus on stocking rivers instead of reservoirs where the musky have a much better chance of surviving the summer....I can dream at least right.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)