Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Best muskie fisherman today?

Message Subject: Best muskie fisherman today?
BNelson
Posted 10/31/2018 1:04 PM (#922227 - in reply to #922225)
Subject: Re: Best muskie fisherman today?

one has to look at the hours as well ... not saying he isn't a great fishermen, I'm sure he is... and if Larry R. thinks he is, I will go with that.. but.... if he fishes 1500 hrs a year for 20 over 55" and another guy fishes 750 hrs and gets 10.. isn't it the same? If he put those same hours in on Eagle.. he would never catch that many over 55" so as others have pointed out, if someone simply fishes the same body of water for 30 yrs they are a function of what swims in the water.... of course they will be good fishermen with 30 yrs in on that body of water...or one would hope..

Edited by BNelson 10/31/2018 1:07 PM
Junkman
Posted 10/31/2018 5:06 PM (#922245 - in reply to #921846)

Just thinking about aspects of the very best anglers, stuff like just plain smarts, determination, guts, physical strength, and instinct can clearly trump time on the water or a good log book. Mark Lejewski makes “instinct” come to mind. You might be camping on a prime spot in a tournament for hours on end, his boat roars to a nearby spot, he absolutely heaves his bait for ten or twelve casts, and he’s back on plane roaring away. Too many times, however, I watched while he was forced to wait for a judge boat. I have never figured out how he does that, but I’m certain he has a natural instinct for knowing where to be, and he may be the best tournament guy we have. And, there’s Spencer Berman who’s ship has really come in lately, he’s on top of the heap for now, and I think it’s a lot of just being a uniquely “smart” guy. I recall a tournament maybe a dozen years ago when he was a new kid, with only an hour to go in the event, he pulls up, says he’s got a chance to be in the money, and would I mind if he fished the obvious good water I was fully controlling. So, how do tell another guy he’s really got no chance and you do, and he should get off the spot. The answer is you have to be really, really smart. Like selling ice to Eskimos smart. I actually found myself glad to move aside. Later on when I got to know him better, often choosing to interview him for my articles, I began to really appreciate just how sharp a kid he is. Clearly, I myself am waiting to be lucky, but the leader board, as I’ve said before, is rarely much of a surprise!
BNelson
Posted 10/31/2018 5:38 PM (#922247 - in reply to #921846)

Lijewski can usually fish circles around most of the field but in the championship in Indiana a couple weeks ago I believe his boat got skunked while Berman caught 7 the same day, same lake. of course that is Bermans home waters but... goes to show even the best don't always wack and stack every time out.....

Edited by BNelson 10/31/2018 5:39 PM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 10/31/2018 5:59 PM (#922249 - in reply to #921846)

Seems some of those walleye and bass guys catch quite a few nice ones also. Great arguments all around though.

Lately the combos of Snyder/Riebe and Raley/Osfar have been showing what kind of sticks they are as well. I think there is a lot to be considered for a fisherman that can go from lake to lake and catch fish. I'd be confident any of the guys already mentioned would quickly figure out each water body as well.
ulbian
Posted 11/4/2018 11:30 PM (#922615 - in reply to #921846)

A feller by the name of dudlkslkaldy. Or something like that. Can anyone else catch them on lime flavored doughballs?
sworrall
Posted 11/5/2018 8:28 AM (#922628 - in reply to #921846)

That was absolutely classic. We need to rekindle the chat room again, it's still here.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 11/5/2018 11:42 AM (#922658 - in reply to #922066)

jonnysled - 10/29/2018 7:59 PM

we all know who the best is. he claims it often ...

I think I know that guy.....
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 11/5/2018 1:37 PM (#922665 - in reply to #922227)

BNelson - 10/31/2018 2:04 PM

one has to look at the hours as well ... not saying he isn't a great fishermen, I'm sure he is... and if Larry R. thinks he is, I will go with that.. but.... if he fishes 1500 hrs a year for 20 over 55" and another guy fishes 750 hrs and gets 10.. isn't it the same? If he put those same hours in on Eagle.. he would never catch that many over 55" so as others have pointed out, if someone simply fishes the same body of water for 30 yrs they are a function of what swims in the water.... of course they will be good fishermen with 30 yrs in on that body of water...or one would hope..

He also fishes the Ottawa, the Nip, and GB. And has MORE then one 50 pounder on Georgian Bay. Just saying.
BNelson
Posted 11/5/2018 1:42 PM (#922666 - in reply to #922665)

oh for sure, I'm not saying he isn't a great fishermen.. I'm sure he is.. for the waters he fishes it sounds like he does very well... I guess my point is, simply catching big fish doesn't make someone a good fishermen on that basis alone. anyone can catch big fish with enough hours on any body of water with big fish... well, most anyone anway.
ToddM
Posted 11/5/2018 2:47 PM (#922678 - in reply to #922666)

I agree with Brad. You can say these are the best for the areas they fish, you cannot say they are the best of all because the comparisons are not the same.
ManitouDan
Posted 11/5/2018 3:12 PM (#922684 - in reply to #921846)

Bill Dance
esoxaddict
Posted 11/5/2018 7:19 PM (#922724 - in reply to #921846)

I've been lucky enough to share a boat with many guys who make their living chasing these fish. All of them are the "best' at something, whether its their home water, late fall fishing, jigging, trolling, live bait fishing... To me, the "best" are the guys who can go somewhere they've never fished, in the worst conditions, and still put a fish or two in the bag when everyone else on the water is standing around asking "now what??"...
MuskyCyclone
Posted 11/8/2018 10:20 PM (#923074 - in reply to #921846)
Subject: RE: Best muskie fisherman today?

If I had a mortgage on the line on 5 different lakes, I'm taking Jason Hammernick. Won the PMTT championship, one of the best guides , and can figure out weather patterns, lake conditions and other fishing issues with the best of them.
7ovr50
Posted 11/18/2018 7:43 AM (#923773 - in reply to #921846)

If making a name for yourself defines the "best "at anything then the list is long and very opinionated. If you consider the "best" in a specific area then there are many nationaly unknown locals who catch an unbelievable amount of fish from their local haunts. These people are the real pros in my opinion. They catch fish day after day from the same pressured waters that others struggle with. Most of the time the waters they fish are not the big famous waters we all know but unimpressive local lakes that most never heard of fighting off the jet skies and pleasure boaters as well.

Edited by 7ovr50 11/18/2018 7:45 AM
Andy L
Posted 11/18/2018 12:49 PM (#923784 - in reply to #921846)

The best in my opinion anyone who can introduce someone new to the sport and create an experiment that wants them to try again. Not easily done.

Andy L
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)