Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Turning a follow into a bite

Message Subject: Turning a follow into a bite
CincySkeez
Posted 11/29/2018 3:46 PM (#924622 - in reply to #464308)
Subject: Re: Turing a follow into a bite

CU301DSV - 10/24/2010 12:33 AM

Lots of good info here but I didn't read anything about what to do with a glider style jerk bait with short line out at the boat with a follow up. Had this happen to me today, kinda confused me as what to do. I did get a couple of short line pulls in before the musky slowly sank back into the depths. Do you just keep pulling with short taps like I did or do you figure 8 this style lure also?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX2W5O3hZYc

Watch the first clip, my buddy in the film is an ace boatside with phantoms. Also notice the fish that dont eat in the 8 in the video, either too tight turn, no speed/depth change or dude just leans out over water

Edited by CincySkeez 11/29/2018 3:51 PM
phselect
Posted 11/30/2018 12:15 PM (#924695 - in reply to #462696)
Subject: Re: Turning a follow into a bite

A couple things that help me..
A smooth transition into the 8. I've been fishing Muskies for over 20 years, and I still catch myself "flinching" a bit on a follow once in a while - especially early in the season or when we haven't raised a fish in a while. Practice a smooth transition even when a fish isn't sighted, so it will be more automatic when she shows herself. This can be particularly important on clear water as you described.
Also - when a fish follows - don't give up on the 8 after one or two turns - especially on overcast days or dark conditions, or low water clarity. A couple years ago up at Eagle, I raised a mid 40's fish which wasn't super hot at first, but hung around. She would chase the 8 a time or two, then disappear. I kept turning figure 8's and just when I was ready to pull the lure out - there she was again. This continued for almost 10 minutes. My buddy kept casting while I worked the fish. Finally, she hit. With the wind blowing, we were at least a hundred yards away from where she initially followed. She didn't fight much for a 45" fish. Probably as exhausted as I was after the whole standoff.

Edited by phselect 11/30/2018 12:24 PM
Ivegotafever
Posted 11/30/2018 12:28 PM (#924698 - in reply to #462696)
Subject: RE: Turning a follow into a bite

I think it's also worth mentioning that when a fish seemingly disappears, to continue your figure 8 but move the bait deeper. I connected with a 48 that I was sure was gone this summer while doing an oval with my reel nearly in the water.
Muskies247
Posted 11/30/2018 1:06 PM (#924700 - in reply to #924698)
Subject: RE: Turning a follow into a bite

Ivegotafever - 11/30/2018 12:28 PM

I think it's also worth mentioning that when a fish seemingly disappears, to continue your figure 8 but move the bait deeper. I connected with a 48 that I was sure was gone this summer while doing an oval with my reel nearly in the water.

That’s outstanding I am going to try that for a while.
I reel left-handed, so I always bring the bait straight to my feet, and then go left long the Gunnel, and then way out and away from the boat big circle, this is usually where they bite. Keep the speed and depth smooth and consistent through this portion while watching the water your bait just traveled through, often a fish will appear after a delay, keep the bait going, nice big round circles, use a 8’6” or 9’ rod. Do it on every cast even if you don’t see a fish at least 2 full circles.
Ivegotafever
Posted 11/30/2018 7:52 PM (#924764 - in reply to #462696)
Subject: Re: Turning a follow into a bite

I’m sure that fish would have remained silent just doing the regular 8 a foot or two below the surface. I did it for 4 or 5 rotations. The fish was out of sight. This is an accidental technique that I have never read about and converted for me. FYI, I fish muskies a couple weeks out of the year but read about them the other 50.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)