Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> how much to replace lower unit seals

Reply New post
Message Subject: how much to replace lower unit seals
moondog
Posted 9/30/2018 8:37 PM (#919897)
Subject: how much to replace lower unit seals

i drained my lower unit the other day and the oil was a little milky. Just wondering if anyone roughy nows how much it would cost to get the seals replaced?is it a spendy fix or not? the motor is 1995 150 merc.
ToddC
Posted 9/30/2018 9:20 PM (#919903 - in reply to #919897)
Subject: Re: how much to replace lower unit seals

The seal kit is usually $20-$30. You might as well put in a new impeller as long as you’re doing it for a few extra dollars. Not a hard job to do yourself but you may want a friend to help to provide an extra set of hands. Lots of videos on YouTube to help you. There is a great video there that shows how to easily remove the prop shaft seals using a pair of drywall screws. I used them to remove mine this summer and had them changed in 10 minutes. Figure on maybe an hour or longer to do the whole job. A dealer will prolly charge $200-$300.
ToddC
Posted 9/30/2018 9:40 PM (#919906 - in reply to #919897)

Sorry moondog. The prop seals for my Johnson 90 were $16. You don’t have to remove the lower unit to replace them. To replace the impeller you will have to remove the lower unit. To do just the seals is not hard. A dealer will still more than likely charge at least $100 to replace them since they usually have a one hour labor minimum. I hope I didn’t confuse you. Good luck!
mikie
Posted 10/13/2018 8:44 AM (#920821 - in reply to #919897)

Two possible leak spots - the prop seal or the upper seal where the shaft goes up into the water pump. My suggestion is to pull the prop and see if there's any line wrapped that could cut the seal; see if here's any signs of leaks around the prop shaft. if not, I'd guess it's in the lower unit. With my Merc, when the prop shaft seal went bad you'd see lube on the floor when you upright the motor. m
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)