Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Best numbers or action lake in northwest Ontario?

Message Subject: Best numbers or action lake in northwest Ontario?
Ruddiger
Posted 9/16/2018 10:46 AM (#918573)
Subject: Best numbers or action lake in northwest Ontario?

Howdy,

As the title says, whats the best action lake for drive to muskies in northwest Ontario?

Take care,

Ruddiger
sworrall
Posted 9/16/2018 10:50 AM (#918574 - in reply to #918573)
Subject: Re: Best numbers or action lake in northwest Ontario?

Thaddeus can be interesting, along with the ones well known like Indian chain, Canyon, etc.
Musky Brian
Posted 9/17/2018 9:03 AM (#918641 - in reply to #918573)

Indian Lake Chain, Canyon, Cliff Lake Chain, Little Vermilion Chain, Stork/Long Legged
chasintails
Posted 9/19/2018 8:58 AM (#918790 - in reply to #918573)

Stork/ Long Legged is an action lake?
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 9/19/2018 11:04 AM (#918803 - in reply to #918573)
Subject: RE: Best numbers or action lake in northwest Ontario?

Canyon Lake - Best day, in terms of numbers seen, was 140 follows, if I remember correctly. (This was back in 1989). But it's an ultra clear body of water, and most of the followers were on the small side (28 to 35 inches). Had 5 of 6 casts that week where 2 fish were following on the same cast. And had one cast that produced 3 follows. Saw about 460 follows for the week, but only caught 3. If you want to increase your ratio of fish that actually hit, it might be a good idea to downsize baits and/or think about fluorocarbon leaders, or fish at night. Lots of action, but I wasn't real impressed by the average size of the fish.

Fluke Lake - I have never fished it, but I've heard that it's a numbers lake. It's also in the Vermilion Bay / Perrault Falls area, if I remember correctly. I think one of the lodges on Perrault Lake had a portage boat sitting there. And I've also heard that there is a boat landing there, the quality of which is reputed to be mediocre. (It sounded like you could launch a small 14 to 16 foot aluminum boat there, but a probably not a large bass boat). It also sounded like you would get hooks into 8 to 10 muskies per day, but I think average size would be in the 28 to 35 inch range.

Hope that helps,

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Edited by jackpotjohnny48 9/19/2018 11:05 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 9/19/2018 12:18 PM (#918809 - in reply to #918803)

Last time I went to Canyon (Early September, 6-7 years ago) we caught 22ish in less than 2 full days, biggest 42. They eat plenty there, and will eat big baits too
Ruddiger
Posted 9/22/2018 8:31 AM (#919028 - in reply to #918573)

Howdy,

Of the options listed, which one is the most scenic, as in has the least amount of shoreline development. Ideally I would prefer to not see other camps, cottages, etc while on the water.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Musky Brian
Posted 9/22/2018 9:47 AM (#919043 - in reply to #919028)

Canyon and Indian Chain are both alike that they have some cabins in the “main basin” but as you go out there’s not many. Some of the best fishing on both is in the mai areas though ...

Cliff Chain has a few resorts but it’s a gorgeous lake. The connecting lakes are fly-in equivalent....if you can get back there

Steve mentioned Thaddeus...That’s a rustic one, but I’m not sure the numbers are the same as the others. I think you can access Ord from there too which Ive been on and is basically fly-in equivalent for Walleyes/Pike with Muskies in the mix too

Edited by Musky Brian 9/22/2018 9:50 AM
Ruddiger
Posted 9/22/2018 10:36 AM (#919049 - in reply to #918573)

Howdy,

If you were going to spend the bulk of your season fishing one of them exclusively, wanted to enjoy new spots on a regular basis (not fish the same spots over and over) , and see as few man made structures as possible, where would you go?

Take care,

Ruddiger
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)