Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> converting regular phantom to phantom softtail

Message Subject: converting regular phantom to phantom softtail
hahdawg
Posted 9/24/2018 7:12 PM (#919288)
Subject: converting regular phantom to phantom softtail

I have a 10" regular phantom that I want to convert to a phantom soft tail. Can anyone tell me what to do with the rear hook holder? I need to unscrew something and replace it with something else. I'd like to know what the 'something else' is. Please be specific, because I have no technical skills.

Thanks.
ToddM
Posted 9/24/2018 7:33 PM (#919292 - in reply to #919288)
Subject: Re: converting regular phantom to phantom softtail

Unscrew the rear hook hanger and reinsert it with gorilla glue but leave it out 1/2". Put the tail on over that with super glue.
mikie
Posted 9/25/2018 7:09 AM (#919321 - in reply to #919288)

Actually, if you read the label on "Super Glue" you will see that it is not meant for wet applications, so I use Krazy Glue, which seems to hold fairly well. Todd's got you on the right track, tho.
Now in my experience, a lot of the action for tailed baits depends on the tail. Some grub tails are real thick in the bend. If you find your newly-tailed Phantom comes in like a stick and won't 'walk', try trimming some of the thickness out of the tail and make it more ribbon-like. Also, I've found that switching out hooks will either improve - or hinder - the action. m
joh10891
Posted 9/25/2018 12:00 PM (#919344 - in reply to #919288)
Subject: RE: converting regular phantom to phantom softtail

Another option to check out is the 1" HitchHiker. Think Rollie and Helens has them in stock. Basically a wire corkscrew shape you pinch onto hook hanger. Then you don't have to deal with removing rear hook eye and re-installing. Upsides: you can actually use larger plastic grubs than you normally could on a phantom, and has a more jointed wobble.
hahdawg
Posted 9/25/2018 1:37 PM (#919358 - in reply to #919288)

Thanks, all. Very helpful.
Bubba_J
Posted 9/25/2018 1:55 PM (#919361 - in reply to #919288)

I have used the hitchhikers on Hellhounds with good results. They are also easy to remove if you don't want it on at the time.
true tiger tamer
Posted 9/26/2018 11:58 PM (#919536 - in reply to #919288)

My best muskie crankbait has a hitchhiker on the back screweye that I attach a soft plastic to, it has accounted for well over 100 muskies and tigers. I'm sure they would work well on a Phantom.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)