Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Rock Guard for towing

Reply New post
Message Subject: Rock Guard for towing
btfish
Posted 8/17/2018 5:04 AM (#915870)
Subject: Rock Guard for towing

I will admit I know very little about these and did a search with little luck. I am basically looking for a rock guard that is easy on and easy off when I am towing the boat. Seems like there are lots of options with lots of price ranges too. Like most people I don't want to break the bank either. So for those of you who have found a rock guard at a decent price that works well for you I would love to hear about it. Please provide as much info as you can such as price and contact information if you can. As always your help is appreciated.

Thanks and Have a Great day.

Brad
VMS
Posted 8/17/2018 7:35 AM (#915878 - in reply to #915870)
Subject: RE: Rock Guard for towing

Hiya,

I went with "Towtector" brand as the brush system seems to do a really good job of slowing the rocks down so they do not bounce up, whereas the rubber flap style does deflect down, I didn't feel this would effectively stop the rocks from bouncing up as no much speed is scrubbed off on a deflection. The towtector brushes actually slow the rock down as they pass through, which I feel changes their trajectory.

The other nice thing about the towtector is that the brushes are doubled up and go completely across the rear of the vehicle.

to remove, all you need to do is remove your hitch bar, loosen one bolt, and off it slips. For storage, I believe the towtector comes with a wall mounted bar that you can put the towtector on (just like on your hitch), then use a pin through the hole to keep it there.

I love mine.... Quick and simple for me...

They are a touch more expensive than some of the others out there, but they do the job...and they do the job well!! It's worth it to protect your rig's paint job. It'll definitely show quickly if you do any traveling on gravel without it.

Steve
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/17/2018 8:00 AM (#915882 - in reply to #915870)
Subject: Re: Rock Guard for towing

I have the Rock Tamers. I do believe they help some, but surely not the cure.

I can hear rocks banging off my trailer still as I drive down dirt roads.

If I ever buy a new boat I will probably go with the Tow Tector as I believe the brushes would do a better job as described above.

Nudge
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/17/2018 12:17 PM (#915905 - in reply to #915882)
Subject: Re: Rock Guard for towing

I hav Montana rock knockers they stay on the trailer so it don't matter who pulls my boat. Dont know if their still in business. But I did see a pair of similar ones upon the rainy river this spring

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_20160513_45583-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20160513_45583-1.jpg (75KB - 277 downloads)
Emptynet
Posted 8/17/2018 7:41 PM (#915950 - in reply to #915870)

Been using a Magnum Mudflap for about 5 years. List price was $200 and they mount on your hitch with 1 U bolt. magnummudflaps.com
debygd
Posted 8/19/2018 4:59 PM (#916076 - in reply to #915870)

Towtector is working well for me. When I did my searches before buying, it was competitively priced as well.
TheShow
Posted 8/19/2018 8:48 PM (#916088 - in reply to #916076)

Another vote for TowTector. I like how it can be adjusted for height. For example, on a long trip the truck was loaded down and squatted a bit - so I slid the towtector up a notch. When cruising local (no truck squat) - lower it a notch. Plus, as others mentioned its easy on/easy off with the wall mount for storage. You will need the longer hitch though. They sell them right on the towtector website.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)