Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Skeeter Prop

Reply New post
Message Subject: Skeeter Prop
musky1969
Posted 8/25/2018 5:11 PM (#916616)
Subject: Skeeter Prop

I have a 2013 Skeeter WX1850 with a Merc 150 4 stroke the prop is a 3 Blade Tempest 19 pitch, this thing is so slow getting out of the hole any suggestions?
Thanks
Darren
V18
Posted 8/25/2018 5:43 PM (#916618 - in reply to #916616)
Subject: Re: Skeeter Prop

I have a Mx1825 and it was a little slow to plane and would porpoise badly with any chop on water. My prop was Yamaha reliance 19 which came with it. Dealer didn't do any thing for me. Tried a 4 blade 17 pitch on the recommendation of power tech props. Boat jumped up on plane but top end was a out 8 mph slower. Talked to a different dealer told me it is over propped with 19 and under propped with the 17. They showed be a tech bulletin for the boat and it called for a reliance 18. Its much better and is about 4 mph slower than the 19. Do search and find the tech bulletin for your boat and see what it recommends.

Search on this: wx1850 tech bulletin yamaha

It recommends 19 pitch motor mounted in second hole. I am no expert but Could be a weight distribution issue.

Edited by V18 8/25/2018 5:50 PM
VMS
Posted 8/25/2018 6:53 PM (#916621 - in reply to #916616)

Hiya!!

How is your top end and WOT RPMs? If you are loaded with just you and your gear are you able to reach the max recommended rpm for the motor? Also wondering if the vent holes are completely plugged on the prop. Any porpoise issue as mentioned in the previous post?

These items are all important to figure out what is going on with the set up. If you can supply a bit more info, I'll certainly do my best to help out.

Steve

musky1969
Posted 8/25/2018 9:54 PM (#916634 - in reply to #916616)

Not sure of the WOT RPM's but it does porpoise a lot if I trim up very little at slower speeds, but if I am WOT about 47 MPH RMP's I think around 5600 maybe and full trip no porpoise, never tried anything with plugs and can not know, getting new lower yet due to LOTW rock and get new lower unit & prop and what to try to get a better one for my boat. Don't mine losing a few MPH to get on plain faster.
Thanks
Darren
msky3
Posted 8/27/2018 4:07 PM (#916776 - in reply to #916616)

4 blade for sure...just get the correct pitch
VMS
Posted 8/27/2018 6:09 PM (#916794 - in reply to #916616)

Hiya!!

If my research is correct the maximum rpm for your motor is 5800 so you are not too far off on your top end if your estimate is correct.

The tempest is a great prop for lifting the bow, but with the weight of your boat being almost 2000 pounds alone, I have a feeling your rpm number might be a little low on estimate, and I also think having a bit more "whole boat" lift might be a good move as well.

I think the previous post hit it...a 4 blade prop might be in order. The Quicksilver Q4 or Mercury Revolution 4 (same props, just under different brand) I feel would be a solid choice in a 17 pitch. This will do 2 major things for you. First, the 4th blade will help lift the overall boat out of the water further (so you might be able to raise the motor another hole or two off the transom) and you will gain some RPM which will help your motor stay in the top portion of your rpm range, whille giving you a much much stronger low end kick upon hole shot. Overall if you didn't move your motor mounting position up at all, I would suspect you would see an increase in rpm to that 5800 mark (+400 RPM for going 17 pitch, -200 rpm going to a 4th blade....approximates here). If you are a touch low on RPM's at your motor height and you can move your motor up a couple holes, this could turn into a fantastic running rig that will just float along at cruising speed, while still giving you the grunt to get the boat moving. And...you might not lose much top end speed at all...

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)