Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> LeeLures Boilermaker

Message Subject: LeeLures Boilermaker
GOCmuskiesWV
Posted 8/28/2018 8:17 PM (#916951)
Subject: LeeLures Boilermaker

Has anybody had a chance to give Lee's Boilermaker some quality time on the water this season? If so, what are your initial thoughts? I'm a little gun shy about dropping $70 on a bait that I know absolutely nothing about. I am however very intrigued by the idea/concept of the bait's design. Thanks in advance.
T3clay
Posted 8/28/2018 9:23 PM (#916967 - in reply to #916951)
Subject: Re: LeeLures Boilermaker

I considered buying one for my 10 year old son that has a hard time keeping his Bucktails over shallow weeds, otherwise I think I can get close enough action with my blades to keep my $70
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/30/2018 10:01 AM (#917119 - in reply to #916951)

Well, I personally like the bait. It's very good for going super slow over shallow rocks and weeds at night. You can't go that slow with any other bucktail. I have had success with it as well. Personally I'd like to see it in a double 12 or something bigger but since Lee did catch a 56 incher on it, I have confidence that a big one will eat it.
stdevos
Posted 8/30/2018 11:07 AM (#917126 - in reply to #916951)

Pretty simple to make yourself, combine a mouldy's topper stopper with a bucktail and call it a TopperTail™

People will obviously pay a premium price for Lee's work, he does good stuff.
krazyk
Posted 8/30/2018 11:18 AM (#917128 - in reply to #916951)

Really.. it's an amazing lure that went through the slop of the "Goon" like nothing else.. The bait is made like a tank, pushes a lot of water and moved/caught most of the fish on our recent trip. There really is nothing else like it... I don't have a problem paying the money for a premium bait as I wasted a lot of money on other manufacturers junk !! Worth the purchase !!!
BBT
Posted 8/30/2018 12:29 PM (#917136 - in reply to #916951)

I just bought 2......ouch. Leaving tonight for lake of the woods and will be giving them a try. I also bought a few of the beavers when they first came out. I've caught a few fish on them as well(overpriced bucktail w/o blades) Not sure it will work any better or worse than anything else in my box but it will be fun to try them. Casted a few off the dock and they do look really neat in the water. If you throw any bait for a long enough period of time it will catch a fish, at 70$ each I'll probably throw the sh#t out of it and as a result catch something. Would the same fish have bit a bucktail/topwater/crankbait...maybe? but with this it seems like I'll be able to throw all three at once.
sworrall
Posted 8/30/2018 5:46 PM (#917159 - in reply to #916951)

The Krook was a completely different behaving lure, actually.
RLSea
Posted 8/30/2018 9:10 PM (#917171 - in reply to #917126)

stdevos - 8/30/2018 11:07 AM

Pretty simple to make yourself, combine a mouldy's topper stopper with a bucktail and call it a TopperTail™

Yes actually Bob Turgeon showed how to make a version of this in the December/January, 2017 issue of MH Magazine.
curleytail
Posted 8/30/2018 9:24 PM (#917172 - in reply to #917159)

sworrall - 8/30/2018 5:46 PM

Interesting. In what ways did they differ?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/30/2018 9:29 PM (#917173 - in reply to #917172)

So it’s a copy! Like every other bait out there. This one is just well made and looks cool. And I didn’t know about the krook until after this one came out. I’ve always wanted a bait that did this and someone made one that I liked. Mayhem made one too but it was even more expensive and looked like it would break in half from one fish.
Clark A
Posted 8/31/2018 1:09 AM (#917179 - in reply to #916951)

Krazy K forgot to mention the "Wabigoon 8"...….you let it sit in the water like a big fat slip bobber, and fish hit it. Dumb stupid fish, but I had action on the Chippewa Flowage on the Boilermaker, and other resort guests that fished muskies saw zip. If I'm seeing and catch fish on this lure, so it must be a good/great lures.
Clark A
Posted 8/31/2018 1:11 AM (#917180 - in reply to #916951)

Krazy K forgot to mention the "Wabigoon 8"...….you let it sit in the water like a big fat slip bobber, and fish hit it. Dumb stupid fish, but I had action on the Chippewa Flowage on the Boilermaker, and other resort guests that fished muskies saw zip. If I'm seeing and catch fish on this lure, so it must be a good/great lures.
jdsplasher
Posted 8/31/2018 6:52 AM (#917186 - in reply to #917180)

There has been wood bodied Bucktail lures made for years. I remember wood body Bucktails made by Craig Engelbretson, ( sorry if spelled wrong), back in the day! All lures are spoofs of others. That's the beauty of modifications to already great baits. 

It's kind of like my Custom Splashtail. Similar body, like the Snodlow Low, but has variations on the bracket holding blade, + my Brass Cap in rear, that I started back in the late 80's. Everybody seems to have some metal near blade now, where I was the First to do This. 

Luremakers provide a service to you. Whether you buy them, or make them yourselves, be glad their out there for you!!!  US!!!

JD

curleytail
Posted 8/31/2018 8:13 AM (#917191 - in reply to #917173)

Kirby Budrow - 8/30/2018 9:29 PM

So it’s a copy! Like every other bait out there. This one is just well made and looks cool. And I didn’t know about the krook until after this one came out. I’ve always wanted a bait that did this and someone made one that I liked. Mayhem made one too but it was even more expensive and looked like it would break in half from one fish.

My apologies if I came of as condescending. I've used a whole lot of baits that were generally copies of an original. No problem with that. I was just making conversation that something like this has been out there in the past.

I will say that $70 seems like a lot of cash for a bucktail with a cigar shaped piece of wood on the shaft, but that's fine. If anglers are willing to buy it good for Lee! Comes down to supply.and demand and profits. If I could build fewer pieces of something and sell them for more you better believe I would do the same.

Tucker
undersized
Posted 8/31/2018 8:42 AM (#917193 - in reply to #917159)

I have both, they behave pretty much the same...
To my mind, the biggest difference/upgrade is that Lee's Boilermaker has the front hook coming out through the float body. This adds a bit of a rudder but more importantly improves the hook-up quality, which is where the Krook really suffered since the front hook was somewhat blocked by the body. That and the fact that you can actually buy a Boilermaker right now.
If enough people are willing to pay $70 for this, then that's the market. Lee's lures work great and they're beautiful too.
sworrall
Posted 8/31/2018 10:19 AM (#917201 - in reply to #917193)

undersized - 8/31/2018 8:42 AM

I have both, they behave pretty much the same...
To my mind, the biggest difference/upgrade is that Lee's Boilermaker has the front hook coming out through the float body. This adds a bit of a rudder but more importantly improves the hook-up quality, which is where the Krook really suffered since the front hook was somewhat blocked by the body. That and the fact that you can actually buy a Boilermaker right now.
If enough people are willing to pay $70 for this, then that's the market. Lee's lures work great and they're beautiful too.

I have both too, we worked with them and received prototypes. The Krook had more of a tendency to spin, hook-ups were not as hoped for, it sometimes dove a bit, and durability was average. Lee's bait corrected all that, and the price reflects the craftsmanship, which is out of the park higher. Both are good bails, Lee's bait is new and improved. There is no 'new' lure out there anymore, it's all been done. Improvement and refining is the key.

For the time, the Krook was innovative and was priced about what it should have been. The Boilermaker took the concept further and really stepped up the build. Buy one or don't, discuss as one might, but keep the discussion within the permissions here, please.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)