Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> advice on rod tip field repair

Message Subject: advice on rod tip field repair
mcnewbski
Posted 7/25/2018 5:36 PM (#913375)
Subject: advice on rod tip field repair

Hi - the rod is a St Croix LT slingblade. The tip is a bit loose. It doesn't appear damaged, and it doesn't look like it's going to detach from the rod. But it turns slightly side to side, about an 1/8 of an inch.

When I do a figure eight I can feel a little vibration, a clunk, as the tip eye swivels from one position to the other. I expect it will get worse if I don't do anything.

Can I simply heat the glue area with a lighter, solidly seat the tip in position, and let it harden? (I'm basing that on a extremely rudimentary understanding of rod glue.)

I'm not in a position to take it in for repair. I'm on the lake middle of a trip. If there isn't a better method, I'll resort to crazy glue but I'm hoping someone can advise on using heat.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
thompwater
Posted 7/25/2018 7:18 PM (#913385 - in reply to #913375)
Subject: RE: advice on rod tip field repair

A little heat will work fine, hot glue sticks work well also
curleytail
Posted 7/25/2018 7:22 PM (#913386 - in reply to #913375)
Subject: Re: advice on rod tip field repair

I'd heat it up a bit and let it re-seat. Most likely that will do the trick. If it loosens up in the future you might have to heat it enough to pull it off and add a little extra glue.

I'd try to avoid using super glue if possible as that could make it harder to get off in the future if you need to.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/25/2018 7:42 PM (#913392 - in reply to #913375)

I carry a small tube of rod tip glue, spare tip tops and a lighter in the boat. You might get away with heating it. I've had that work about 50% of the time. No super glue. If you have to replace that guide and it's super glued in place, you're basically going to have to either soak it in acetone or something, or cut 1/2" off the end of your rod in order to replace it.

I carry a small tube of rod tip glue, spare tip tops and a lighter in the boat, just in case.

Funny thing: I had a guide come off my main bucktail rod on a trip a few years back. I re-wrapped the guide with braid and Samantha's nail polish, figuring it would last all of a few casts before it fell off again. 5 days later it was still firmly attached.
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/25/2018 7:42 PM (#913393 - in reply to #913386)

If you don't have heat, could try a little tape to get you by until you can heat it up.
mcnewbski
Posted 7/26/2018 10:46 AM (#913450 - in reply to #913375)

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)