Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Different size tires

Reply New post
Message Subject: Different size tires
Mace
Posted 7/2/2018 8:20 PM (#911412)
Subject: Different size tires

I have been running Kuhmo 857 on my Ranger 620 trailer and have one side that has more wear than the other. I believe that a bad valve stem might have been the cause. I couldn't get the 205/14 kuhmos anymore so I got 215/75/14 Goodyear endurance. But I'm only replacing 2 for now because the opposite side tread is still in great shape. . Should I put them on the same side or run them on the same axle?
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/3/2018 10:53 AM (#911457 - in reply to #911412)
Subject: RE: Different size tires

Mace - 7/2/2018 8:20 PM

I have been running Kuhmo 857 on my Ranger 620 trailer and have one side that has more wear than the other. I believe that a bad valve stem might have been the cause. I couldn't get the 205/14 kuhmos anymore so I got 215/75/14 Goodyear endurance. But I'm only replacing 2 for now because the opposite side tread is still in great shape. . Should I put them on the same side or run them on the same axle?

The rear set always seems to wear faster than the front so I would put the new tires on the same rear axle.

Edited by Jerry Newman 7/3/2018 10:54 AM
VMS
Posted 7/4/2018 5:29 PM (#911536 - in reply to #911457)

Hiya,

Replace both tires on one axle. Being you are running different sizes, you want the axle to be level. In your case, I would put the new tires on the front axle as at some point you will need to replace the rear set.

In most cases, the rear axle tires seem to wear more because tighter turns here and there while hooked to the towing vehicle tend to side slip on the rear axle, or the tongue of the trailer is just a touch too high. When set up correctly, the two axles should be level with each other and the trailer tongue level or very slightly down while hooked to the tow vehicle. After pulling a 5th wheel for a few years, it is amazing how much an inch of difference in height can make on the wear of the tires.

Steve
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/5/2018 8:26 AM (#911559 - in reply to #911536)

I make sure my tandem axle trailers are dead level in my driveway, but I think things change once in motion. In my mind the only way that rear tires consistently wear faster like they do is because the pull vehicle transfers some of the weight rear as it tugs the thing along. Staying vigilant on rotating the tires is the only way I have found to combat this.

The reason I recommended putting the new on the rear is because the other set is still in great shape, but they can't be rotated. The new tires on the rear would allow the most wear from the older tires, then down the road all 4 can be replaced at the same time and be rotated normally. However, I think either way would work fine and it just depends on what Mace wants to do moving forward.

Edited by Jerry Newman 7/5/2018 8:27 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)