Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Lake Mendota Canoe

Reply New post
Message Subject: Lake Mendota Canoe
North of 8
Posted 9/23/2022 9:44 AM (#1012090)
Subject: Lake Mendota Canoe

Last year it was big news when a diver found an ancient canoe, almost fully intact on the bottom of Lake Mendota. She was a scientist so she knew what she had and it was brought up by a team and found to be almost a thousand years old.

This summer, about a 100 yards from the first, a second, even older canoe was found by the same diver/scientist. She took a sliver of wood and had it carbon dated. The university even requested it be tested three times because the initial test showed it to be 3,000 years old. That was confirmed. Recently brought up to surface and members of the Ho-Chunk tribe were there to observe. A historian for the tribe said their stories say they had lived in the area for thousands of years, but this is the first proof.
Pretty amazing to think folks were out fishing on the lake we still fish today 3,000 years ago.
sworrall
Posted 9/23/2022 9:51 AM (#1012091 - in reply to #1012090)
Subject: Re: Lake Mendota Canoe

I saw the same news story. I was amazed at how intact it was.
sworrall
Posted 9/23/2022 4:33 PM (#1012110 - in reply to #1012090)
Subject: Re: Lake Mendota Canoe

I wonder if the old canoe-like boat I found on my underwater camera on Vermilion a few years ago was old? Looked like it. I bet I could find it again next year, might be worth checking it out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)