Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Jointed vs straight crankbaits

Message Subject: Jointed vs straight crankbaits
Slumpbuster
Posted 2/25/2018 8:20 AM (#893809)
Subject: Jointed vs straight crankbaits

Assuming both a Straight and Jointed crankbait are able to achieve the desired depth your trolling what conditions would make you chose a Jointed model?
Sidejack
Posted 2/25/2018 10:27 AM (#893829 - in reply to #893809)
Subject: Re: Jointed vs straight crankbaits

Try a search here or even a general search on google.
Lots of video explanations/opinions RE: when, where, why, how.
Here's one thread from the past on this very topic if you're so inclined:
http://muskie2.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?fid=1...
supertrollr
Posted 2/25/2018 12:56 PM (#893849 - in reply to #893809)

80% of the time it's straight for me.the reason is simple there is no reason,other than straight is better for fall because you can reach your desired depth during slow trolling pass,thing that you mostly can't do with a jointed.some jointed model can be trash but the straight one will be awesome. the opposite is also true
Reelwise
Posted 2/25/2018 10:35 PM (#893953 - in reply to #893809)

I have done well using jointed crankbaits during severe cold-fronts and bluebird skies in the spring. Have also done well on jointed crankbaits during post frontal conditions and bluebird skies in the summer.
FishReed
Posted 2/26/2018 12:46 PM (#894018 - in reply to #893809)
Subject: RE: Jointed vs straight crankbaits

I don't know the reason, but after 40 years I have never had much luck with a jointed crank-bait of any mfg, design or type. Maybe I just don't have the confidence in jointed baits, but in any event I run them about 5% to almost never most of the time even for walleye. I think the last time I caught a fish on a jointed crankbait was a jointed Creek Chub Pikie back during the Nixon administration.
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 2/28/2018 12:00 PM (#894376 - in reply to #893809)

prob 70-80% straight vs jointed but a couple of situations that i typically will have at least 1 if not 2 jointed baits in the trolling spread are in darker/dirty or greener turnover water, very lowlight conditions or after dark, and very very cold water when speeds have been reduced to around 3 mph or lower and i want the bait to appear to be actually moving faster than it actually is....and some times they tell me they simply seem to want/prefer a jointed bait.
when bouncing bottom whether dirty water,cold water,etc cause theres alot of racket going on anyway bouncing a straight is usually a better choice as most tend to run more vertical, snag less, and back out of snags on a drop back/quick slack line much better.
steve herbeck
Switchaxe
Posted 3/10/2018 7:33 AM (#895725 - in reply to #893809)

I personally like the jointed believer. I feel like its got a little more action to it. Might just be me, but I have had some pretty good luck with them. I also cast about 90% of the time, take that into consideration too.
Steve Le Maitre
Posted 3/10/2018 1:46 PM (#895828 - in reply to #893809)

The old jointed Magna Strike Grannies are still good. With jointed baits I think a lot depends on the specific bait, most jointed baits tend to swim nose down with the tail hanging down and I think that is the problem - it's not natural, I've not done well on that style and that pretty much covers them all ! I'm only talking Pike but I find the Mike Hubert Shadillac is another good jointed crank when I go slow.
Ciscokid82
Posted 3/10/2018 5:44 PM (#895894 - in reply to #894376)

Andy Myers Lodge - 2/28/2018 12:00 PM

prob 70-80% straight vs jointed but a couple of situations that i typically will have at least 1 if not 2 jointed baits in the trolling spread are in darker/dirty or greener turnover water, very lowlight conditions or after dark, and very very cold water when speeds have been reduced to around 3 mph or lower and i want the bait to appear to be actually moving faster than it actually is....and some times they tell me they simply seem to want/prefer a jointed bait.
when bouncing bottom whether dirty water,cold water,etc cause theres alot of racket going on anyway bouncing a straight is usually a better choice as most tend to run more vertical, snag less, and back out of snags on a drop back/quick slack line much better.
steve herbeck

Yup
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)