Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Long Distance Traveling for Musky

Message Subject: Long Distance Traveling for Musky
tackleaddict
Posted 6/1/2017 12:55 PM (#863508)
Subject: Long Distance Traveling for Musky

The fish in the link below was caught at the mouth of the Cheboygan river but had been previously tagged in Green Bay in 2013. Pretty interesting that it would swim all the way across lake Michigan and end up in Cheboygan. I fished that river growing up a million times and never would expect to catch a musky below the dam. All this information about fish being tagged traveling far more than we thought makes me wonder if fish can tell where they are going and travel hundreds of miles to areas they know or they just wander following food and end up somewhere, then come back to spawn. What do you guys think? Maybe he just got sick of listening to pretentious packer fans? At least someone is moving to Michigan instead of moving out.

https://www.facebook.com/upperblackriver/photos/a.1504518916245109.1...
Will Schultz
Posted 6/1/2017 1:03 PM (#863514 - in reply to #863508)
Subject: Re: Long Distance Traveling for Musky

That fish may have been trying to get back home... part of the Green Bay genetic background is from Indian River (I'm mostly joking about that). This fish isn't the only Green Bay fish to end up in Michigan, there have been quite a few confirmed by PIT tag.
tackleaddict
Posted 6/1/2017 1:16 PM (#863515 - in reply to #863508)

That is interesting about the Indian river, I didn't know about that.

Edited by tackleaddict 6/1/2017 1:19 PM
Will Schultz
Posted 6/1/2017 1:33 PM (#863519 - in reply to #863515)

tackleaddict - 6/1/2017 2:16 PM That is interesting about the Indian river, I didn't know about that.

The genetics in Green Bay aren't very diverse. If my memory is correct, the entire adult population is derived from about 12 fish (four females) part of them from Indian River and part of them from St Clair. It will get better with the recent stocking that has been provided from Detroit River in the last few years and will get much better once we establish a new brood source(s) next year.

25homes
Posted 6/1/2017 2:00 PM (#863523 - in reply to #863508)

Thats amazing to travel that far
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)