Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Issues with a tranx 500pg drag

Message Subject: Issues with a tranx 500pg drag
Tommis
Posted 4/4/2017 12:05 AM (#855901)
Subject: Issues with a tranx 500pg drag

Hoping pikemaster can chime in amongst others. I just purchased a used tranx 500pg for a good deal, it needed cleaned and something was up with the drag were the only two things I noticed. Well, I took the whole thing apart and cleaned, lubed and greased it but nothing internally seemed to be wrong. I put it back together, following both the parts blow up and the link from a previous post, but the darn drag is still funky... it kind of lunges after 3/4's of a revolution when tightening or loosening. What did I do wrong and how can I fix this?
bllhogg
Posted 4/4/2017 11:46 AM (#855935 - in reply to #855901)
Subject: RE: Issues with a tranx 500pg drag

are you pulling on the line to test the drag? If so, do you have backing beneath the braid, or is your braid tied directly to the spool?
PIKEMASTER
Posted 4/4/2017 1:35 PM (#855944 - in reply to #855901)
Subject: Re: Issues with a tranx 500pg drag

Did you use grease on the drag washers ??
Should be Dry
Line on spool needs to tight on spool
With mono backing
Drag metal washers need to be installed ( )
On drive shaft
Just take reel total apart again and make sure all parts are
Installed the right way.
Send it to me $25 to make sure Reel is Detailed and Tuned and Reoil and greased the right way

Tommis
Posted 4/5/2017 4:59 AM (#855992 - in reply to #855901)

Pikemaster, there was grease on the drag washers already. I was unsure of whether or not acetone would be too much for the washers themselves so I left it alone. It seems to be more of an issue with the star than anything though and the best way to explain it is it lunges rather than operates smooth and seems to be locked down automatically upon installation of the outside handle components onto the driveshaft. It's so much of an issue that I didn't bother installing line. The thumb bar seems to be a tad tough to engage as well. If you're willing to take a look, I'd gladly spend the $25 for your expertise. I'm in no rush so let me know if you are not too busy for me to ship it over thank you!
slimeygreenmeany
Posted 4/17/2017 9:16 AM (#857432 - in reply to #855901)

I would take it back apart. I think one of 3 things is wrong. The anti reverse disk under the brass drive gear is seated right on the drive shaft, the steel drag washer inside the drive gear isn't seated on the drive shaft, or the anti reverse bushing isn't seated in the 2 cogs in the very top steel drag washer
Tommis
Posted 4/17/2017 2:41 PM (#857474 - in reply to #855901)

I haven't even be able to fiddle with it further. Work and school has been consuming my life! I will try to get to it tonight and look at all the things mentioned. Thank you all! If there's anything else someone could chime in about, I'd appreciate it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)