Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rod arsenal

Message Subject: Rod arsenal
muskyman1122
Posted 2/8/2016 9:00 AM (#803595)
Subject: Rod arsenal

I'm looking to expand my rod arsenal. I am looking to get a jerkbait setup and a smaller bucktail setup. For the jerkbait setup I was thinking a st croix LT the classic jerk with a curado 300 and for the smaller bucktail rid I was thinking the St croix LT downsizer but I'm not sure what would be the best reel for that... what do you guys think?
Thanks
5th lake Brad
Posted 2/8/2016 9:34 AM (#803607 - in reply to #803595)
Subject: Re: Rod arsenal

Smaller bucktail rod for me is the long ranger, that's my favorite rod. It's awesome with a curado ej.
muskyman1122
Posted 2/8/2016 11:05 AM (#803629 - in reply to #803607)

Thanks for the reply... I did not look at the long ranger but I definitely like it over the downsizer for the length.
BornToFish1
Posted 2/8/2016 11:42 AM (#803644 - in reply to #803595)

I have two of the St. Croix Legend Classic jerk rods. I first purchased the standard cork handle version and then eventually purchased the split grip model. I prefer the split grip, but note that my top three "personal bests" were caught on the rod with the standard cork grip. I like the 6'9" length of these rods when fishing from a "lodge boat" when fishing at a Canadian fishing lodge that I regularly stay at. The rod's tip is just off of the water's surface, such that I am not slapping the water with my rod tip. I pair these rods with a Curado reel in a 6.?/1 gear ratio when fishing jerk baits.

I like the 7'6" jerk bait rod from St. Croix when fishing from my personal boat's casting deck. I am higher off the water, so that the 7'6" model puts the rod tip near the water without slapping.

I had one of St. Croix's bucktail rods meant for use with lightweight bucktails. I found the rod's handle simply didn't fit my hands very well. I much prefer the Long Ranger, even with light weight lures!! I sold the lightweight bucktail rod and rolled the money into the Classic Jerk mentioned above.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)