Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Closest reel to a tranx for lefties

Message Subject: Closest reel to a tranx for lefties
cave run legend
Posted 10/15/2015 11:37 AM (#788665 - in reply to #788646)
Subject: Re: Closest reel to a tranx for lefties

2labradors - 10/15/2015 11:18 AM

It's a silly argument comparing a toro s to a tranx pg. A closer argument would be a beast low speed vs tranx pg. The tranx pg still picks up more line as well. If you cast 50 yards the tranx would have your 10's back to the boat while the other guys bait with the beast would be 50' away.
Ok If my math is right 50 yards is 1800 inches if the Tranx is 30 inches per turn it would take 60 turns , Beast 4.9 is 27 inches per turn so it would take 66.75 turns that would leave a little over 15 feet difference not 50 but maybe I am missing something.

Take into consideration spool size and the extra tourque the pg has. On the average it will be around a 50' difference. Take i consideration how much braid will be left on the beast after a home run cast.

I am tossing dadsons so that is where ny extra distance comes in.
sworrall
Posted 10/15/2015 11:38 AM (#788666 - in reply to #788626)

cave run legend - 10/15/2015 8:53 AM

It's a silly argument comparing a toro s to a tranx pg. A closer argument would be a beast low speed vs tranx pg. The tranx pg still picks up more line as well. If you cast 50 yards the tranx would have your 10's back to the boat while the other guys bait with the beast would be 50' away.

As answered above. No one throws 'home run' casts every cast, and the S spools plenty of line. I bet one of my average casts doesn't quite bring the line to where ABU measures. No backlashes, smooth as silk, fits my hands great, excellent drag, not fatiguing to use, and I can buy the S and Veritas rod for about retail of that reel alone.. so it's my 'go to' in rotation with a Beast 60 on a St. Croix Legend Elite and a Beast 50 on a Fantasista now. You fish a PG...great! Have at it. The fish don't give a crap.

Buy the reel you like, based upon comfort, performance, and your budget.

LugiAustria
Posted 10/15/2015 12:03 PM (#788670 - in reply to #788394)

Sorry for off topic:

Could you compare the Abu Fantasista to a Legend Tournament or a Legend Elite?

Thanks
2labradors
Posted 10/15/2015 12:11 PM (#788671 - in reply to #788394)

Exactly what Steve said buy what you like I have had alot of reels over the years Shimano tranxs , trinidads, toriums, calcuttas, Diawa lexas, saltists etc. I think Abu hit a home run with the Beast I have two 60's now and I will be trying an S. Comfortable to use and very smooth.

sworrall
Posted 10/15/2015 12:22 PM (#788676 - in reply to #788670)

LugiAustria - 10/15/2015 12:03 PM

Sorry for off topic:

Thanks

The Fantasista is a very nice rod. Well built, and in the longer models, two piece which is nice. The actions are correct, guide placement dead on, reel seat and handle length correct. Overall, a great rod, and priced correctly. Close to the LT in pretty much all categories. Hold both in your hand, and decide for each action if one suits better than another. I found that the differing actions and lengths created preferences for both brands, and I am extremely fussy.

The St. Croix Legend Elite is in a class all by itself. It's truly an experience the first time one puts that rod into use. It's also priced correctly; just the guides are over $100 at factory cost.

The Veritas impresses. Great rod at a great price.
LugiAustria
Posted 10/15/2015 1:18 PM (#788687 - in reply to #788394)

Thanks Steve,

sounds great. Hope they will be available in europe.
Zinox
Posted 10/15/2015 1:45 PM (#788693 - in reply to #788394)

Maybe in like 2-3 years :/
achotrod
Posted 10/15/2015 5:00 PM (#788728 - in reply to #788601)

nick220722 - 10/14/2015 10:22 PM

Yep those two are similar but there is a big difference in line capacity between the Toro S and the Tranx 500 - if that matters.

You will never need more line capacity then the Toro Beast or S 60s have muskie fishing. I use mono backing and 150yrds 80lb braid no issues what so ever casting and with 25# of drag no muskie is going to spool you.
muskyman1122
Posted 10/30/2015 1:26 PM (#790801 - in reply to #788663)

i've been looking at the sx raptor.. looks like a pretty sweet reel. is the levelwind going to screw me if i use it for rubber. i plan on putting it on a TI xxxh for cowgirls and dussas.
Zinox
Posted 10/30/2015 4:07 PM (#790822 - in reply to #788394)

I used the Avet sx rapot for rubber, takes a bit of getting used to but works fine, when you figure it out, also great for blades.
RyanJoz
Posted 10/30/2015 5:19 PM (#790829 - in reply to #788676)

sworrall - 10/15/2015 12:22 PM

Sorry for off topic:

Thanks

The Fantasista is a very nice rod. Well built, and in the longer models, two piece which is nice. The actions are correct, guide placement dead on, reel seat and handle length correct. Overall, a great rod, and priced correctly. Close to the LT in pretty much all categories. Hold both in your hand, and decide for each action if one suits better than another. I found that the differing actions and lengths created preferences for both brands, and I am extremely fussy.

in all categories? more than 3 oz heavier per rod does not put a rod in LT "category" LT rods are one piece and are significantly lighter than the new ABU rods. They may be nice, but they are definitely not LT rods.
muskyman1122
Posted 11/1/2015 9:03 AM (#790951 - in reply to #788663)

Is their any difference between the sx and sxj raptor?
jfreborg
Posted 11/1/2015 9:22 AM (#790953 - in reply to #790951)

The 'j' stands for jigging. It is a much narrower spool. Unbelievably compact, easy to palm and powerful. I really like mine and the raptor version is also a two speed so you get two different retrieve speeds in one reel both with much better drag than a non raptor. There is a learning curve but once you get it dialed in they are sweet. Chark bait can get you anything they make. I am excited to try a beast as well!
sworrall
Posted 11/1/2015 9:40 AM (#790955 - in reply to #790829)

RyanJoz - 10/30/2015 5:19 PM

sworrall - 10/15/2015 12:22 PM

Sorry for off topic:

Thanks

in all categories? more than 3 oz heavier per rod does not put a rod in LT "category" LT rods are one piece and are significantly lighter than the new ABU rods. They may be nice, but they are definitely not LT rods.

I said 'close', so ease your undies out of the bundle, both are fine rods and both have their position in my arsenal. I have two seasons working with the new ABU rods, and like several other muskie crazed individuals across North America, provided input on balance, handle length, action, etc. through the prototype stages.

I also said,"Hold both in your hand, and decide for each action if one suits better than another. I found that the differing actions and lengths created preferences for both brands, and I am extremely fussy."

I also work with St. Croix. The LT has been the 'gold standard' in the muskie business for quite a while, and I have and regularly use several. My Okuma reels are strapped to a couple. Good pair up, by the way. One of my Beast reels is strapped to a Legend Elite. A Toro S is strapped to another, and that by design. The other Beast I own is strapped to a Fantasista 8'2". I use both rod brands regularly and really like them both. Both feel 'right' in my hands for what I am doing. Both companies are dedicated to building a top shelf product, and both 'bothered' to design rods specifically for muskie and pike anglers. One of the differences in weight is the very fact the ABU is a two piece. They did a great job balancing that out so it is very comfortable in use.

St. Croix, TI, Abu, Okuma, and Tooth Tamer are what each considers 'good competitors'. Each company does what they do, and makes no attempt to 'copy' the others. Good people behind all of those brands.

I consider my fishing rods to be like golf clubs to a serious golfer, to steal an anology from my friend Tommy Skarlis. Each has a specific use assigned for my daily game.

I regularly am ripped on good old 'social media' (which, by the way, is what this place was designed to be before the term existed) because I use a St. Croix LTWS59MXF for crappies. 'A $300 rod for crappies???!'

Yeah. It's my favorite crappie bobber and jigging stick. My favorite tiny crankbait stick for crappies is an ABU. I hunt down the biggest crappies in any given water just like you might for muskies, and I'm serious about the sport. I like eating the 9"ers too.

As with any 'tool', how the tool balances out during use, and how it 'feels' in the hands is important to me. I don't use a 16" Stihl to cut 12" green oak for the boiler. I don't use a 20" Husqvarna to cut 4" popple. I have both, and use them both. I use a heavy break action single shot .243 for my shorter range deer hunting, and a Featherweight 7mm Mag bolt action to shoot 250 plus. One is a Winchester and the other a New England Firearms. Both are very nice rifles and meet my needs exactly. If I'm feeling like a challenge, I break out the open sights Hawken 50 cap and ball. If I want traditional mixed with modern, the Traditions stainless 50 scoped break action gets the call.

We also have a S&W M&P .223. That's used for fun. And this Spring, to shoot some Texas feral hogs. Also have a .223 Savage bolt. A bolt action purist sneers at the M&P and proclaims a .223 bolt is a finer rifle. What that sneering gent doesn't understand is I use both and like both and appreciate the craftsmanship that went into building both.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC_5894.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_5894.jpg (168KB - 405 downloads)
tundrawalker00
Posted 2/7/2016 9:31 AM (#803380 - in reply to #788394)

OK, assuming I want the new and improved Toro S 61 for big bucktails, are there any modifications/power handles people recommend for it?
LugiAustria
Posted 2/7/2016 9:09 PM (#803546 - in reply to #788394)

You can use the jigging handle from the beast. Its longer but not counter balanced.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)