Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Minneapolis 54" size limit??

Message Subject: Minneapolis 54" size limit??
Cfollow
Posted 6/18/2015 7:36 PM (#773175)
Subject: Minneapolis 54" size limit??

Maybe a ? for treats or happy hooker. Why hasn't the DNR raised the limit on the Calhoun chain from 40" to 54"? They have stopped stocking Tigers on the chain. I believe the last Tiger stocking was 2009 in Calhoun and the switch has been made to all pure strains. C'mon guys make the switch already.
happy hooker
Posted 6/19/2015 7:59 AM (#773211 - in reply to #773175)
Subject: RE: Minneapolis 54" size limit??

No fancy answer,,,there's still stocked tiger muskies in the system so they didn't switch for now,,will n the future.
Here's the bigger issue,,why is it only getting 127 fish stocked per time when these fish use Isles too.with the tiny amount cedar gets less then 200 for the whole chain.
Compared to the amount of fish that little island lake south of Duluth gets.

Edited by happy hooker 6/19/2015 8:57 AM
dami0101
Posted 6/19/2015 9:17 AM (#773222 - in reply to #773175)
Subject: Re: Minneapolis 54" size limit??

Honestly I’m surprised they ever started stocking Harriet and the Calhoun chain as I don’t think it’s worth trying to drive people to these lakes. Don’t get me wrong, I live 2 miles from Harriet and I’d love to have my fishing partner swing by with the boat instead of traveling out to Indy, Bald, White Bear, or any of the other muskie lakes that require 30 minutes or more of driving. I will just never understand why anyone would go through the hassle required to fish these lakes, which is probably why a lot of people don’t, which then lead to the MPLS parks district to having “cause” to not open the lake early or keep it open late. Which is probably why the DNR doesn’t do a lot of stocking for them as it’s probably a greater ROI to put the muskies in the lakes more people will access.
happy hooker
Posted 6/19/2015 9:23 AM (#773223 - in reply to #773222)

The city lakes were stocked to.provide a trophy fisheries for urban people not everybody can afford a boat or trips up north or Canada so this was the motive.that and the stunted panfish.
dami0101
Posted 6/19/2015 9:47 AM (#773227 - in reply to #773175)

I get that not everyone can afford a trip to Canada, I sure can't, but one doesn't need to take a trip to Canada to hit up the other metro lakes. I guess to me you don't try to create a trophy fishery and then not provide better accommodations, like trailer parking, for those who want to utilize the fishery. And if your goal is to make it so people don't need a boat, then you need to provide more fishing piers that access more varied areas of the lake, covering different structure and depths. I guess what I'm saying is, I feel like they started a project and stopped half way through.
MTJ
Posted 6/19/2015 11:42 AM (#773242 - in reply to #773227)

Harriet, Calhoun, Isles, Nokomis, you can walk almost every part of the shoreline on all these lakes and reach structure and depth. it's not too tough to find parking around any of these lakes, I think they did a good job creating the urban fishery with access to some huge fish.
Nershi
Posted 6/19/2015 1:19 PM (#773248 - in reply to #773242)

MTJ - 6/19/2015 11:42 AM

it's not too tough to find parking around any of these lakes,

Parking a truck with a trailer attached isn't tough in that area? Maybe on a weekday morning.

I agree with Dami, much better options for stocking waters in the metro for many reasons, some of which were listed here. But now that they started they my as well keep it going.

54 size limit would have made sense for these lakes IMO. If someone really wants to thump a tiger there are other options in the area.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/19/2015 2:34 PM (#773258 - in reply to #773222)

dami0101 - 6/19/2015 10:17 AM

Honestly I’m surprised they ever started stocking Harriet and the Calhoun chain as I don’t think it’s worth trying to drive people to these lakes. Don’t get me wrong, I live 2 miles from Harriet and I’d love to have my fishing partner swing by with the boat instead of traveling out to Indy, Bald, White Bear, or any of the other muskie lakes that require 30 minutes or more of driving. I will just never understand why anyone would go through the hassle required to fish these lakes, which is probably why a lot of people don’t, which then lead to the MPLS parks district to having “cause” to not open the lake early or keep it open late. Which is probably why the DNR doesn’t do a lot of stocking for them as it’s probably a greater ROI to put the muskies in the lakes more people will access.

30-45 minute drive to how many musky lakes?? stop complaining lol..
dami0101
Posted 6/19/2015 2:50 PM (#773260 - in reply to #773258)

JakeStCroixSkis - 6/19/2015 2:34 PM

dami0101 - 6/19/2015 10:17 AM

30-45 minute drive to how many musky lakes?? stop complaining lol..

I'm not complaining, I love that we have so many musky lakes around the metro. The point I was getting at is that I'm not some shlub who lives an hour away from the metro and thus would never fish Harriet and the Calhoun chain anyways.
happy hooker
Posted 6/19/2015 4:49 PM (#773272 - in reply to #773260)

Hassle to get to yes sometimes,,,but your not getting buzzed all day by rich 16yr olds on jet skis or with daddy's 30 ft boat.
No lake shore owners to raise hell about "no more muskie stocking" like some minn lakes

And more scientifically,,,uptown girls on parade in summer wear!!!!!

Edited by happy hooker 6/19/2015 4:51 PM
rodbender
Posted 6/19/2015 5:04 PM (#773277 - in reply to #773272)

happy hooker - 6/19/2015 4:49 PM

And more scientifically,,,uptown girls on parade in summer wear!!!!!

be very careful not to get caught fishing with two poles.
raftman
Posted 6/20/2015 7:42 AM (#773310 - in reply to #773175)

I got my start muskie fishing on Cedar so I am glad these lakes were stocked. After getting out of college w/ my wife in pharmacy school at the U, we had little money for a boat or truck so we had a 7' SeaEagle raft on top of her 93 Honda Civic. Fantastic fishing on that lake and very peaceful.
happy hooker
Posted 6/20/2015 7:50 AM (#773312 - in reply to #773310)

Has a sidenote I volunteered with the dnr sample netting for a few days a few years back,,,you wouldn't believe how plentiful fat and beautiful brown the walleye population is in the city lakes,,,the kind of walleye people go to Canada for.
southern comfort
Posted 6/21/2015 9:06 AM (#773389 - in reply to #773175)

The urban metro lakes in Minneapolis offer an opportunity not available anywhere else. They should be nurtured and preserved by raising the size limit. These lakes offer an population that otherwise would never experience musky fishing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)