Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Passport for Canada question

Message Subject: Passport for Canada question
Dave8121
Posted 6/13/2015 7:09 AM (#772445)
Subject: Passport for Canada question

My passport expires in October of 2015 and my annual Canadian fishing trip is in August. Does anyone know if it will create any problems having a passport that is close to expiring? Thanks guys
bigbite
Posted 6/13/2015 8:36 AM (#772452 - in reply to #772445)
Subject: RE: Passport for Canada question

As long as you have a valid passport you should be good to go. I know that in the past you were able to use an expired passport or an active driver's license as a means of I.D. That might of changed in more recent years. It's best to check with Canadian Authorities to see what is currently needed.

Edited by bigbite 6/13/2015 8:38 AM
PSAGuy
Posted 6/13/2015 9:32 AM (#772456 - in reply to #772445)
Subject: Re: Passport for Canada question

Nope....no issue whatsoever. Just make sure you don't get delayed in Canada past the expiration date. That would cause issues.
muskie! nut
Posted 6/13/2015 12:07 PM (#772469 - in reply to #772445)

A few years ago I didn't realize I had an expired passport (never checked) and they let me in and coming back all was good and the last thing she said "Mr Hellenbrand you WILL have your passport renewed the next time". I said "Yes ma'am".

Doesn't expire till October - you are good to go!!!
DonPursch
Posted 6/13/2015 2:22 PM (#772477 - in reply to #772445)

It's not tha Canadians that are concerned about the PassPort it's our home land Secuity
That says you have to have one not tha Canaians
sjb42
Posted 6/13/2015 5:48 PM (#772492 - in reply to #772445)

Cant you get it renewed? Then you don't have to worry about it.
Chemi
Posted 6/13/2015 8:01 PM (#772512 - in reply to #772492)

Here in Michigan, we can get an "enhanced" driver's license which allows us to go into Canadia without needing a passport. Took about two weeks to get, and I think you can get them in MI, NY, MN, WA, and VT.

http://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they 

http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php 

MstrMusky
Posted 6/14/2015 9:18 AM (#772555 - in reply to #772445)

Exactly what Don said. You can get into Canada without a passport, coming home will be the problem. Believe me, when things are crappie at work, I've thought about "accidentally" forgetting my passport so I have to stay up in Canada fishing.

Edited by MstrMusky 6/14/2015 9:19 AM
Chemi
Posted 6/14/2015 10:31 AM (#772557 - in reply to #772555)

MstrMusky - 6/14/2015 10:18 AM Exactly what Don said. You can get into Canada without a passport, coming home will be the problem.

No problems with my EDL. 

muskie! nut
Posted 6/14/2015 10:50 AM (#772559 - in reply to #772445)

Lets be clear about my post. I didn't know that it was expired till I got to the Canadian border and the Canada side asked if I also has a photo ID. Coming home, I wished that they wouldn't have let me back in, I would have gone back to the resort and fished till my renewed passport arrived and as slow as they are, would been there a few months. Wouldn't that have been great?

Coming back to the US, we went through the standard questions and the last thing the US Customs agent said to me is "Mr Hellenbrand toy WILL have you passport renewed the next time".

I've got to tell you that if the Canadian Gov knew I wouldn't be getting back into the US with an expired passport, they would have never let me in the 1st place.

Back to the OP question, you are good. Forget about it till this winter then renew it.
MstrMusky
Posted 6/14/2015 1:27 PM (#772571 - in reply to #772445)

Gerard...i'd still take my chances getting stuck in Canada.
tourneyman
Posted 6/15/2015 8:14 AM (#772633 - in reply to #772445)

Unless this is your last trip to Canada, what are you waiting for?
jonnysled
Posted 6/15/2015 8:29 AM (#772636 - in reply to #772633)

Passports close to expiration can be an issue depending on Country so if you are tight, I would suggest you check first. if you do have time or if you have 6 months left, it's time to renew. Each border agent can express his/her own concern and in the case of some countries I've visited it can be the difference between getting in and not. Also, some countries will reject a worn out passport so it's important to keep it clean and nice too. I almost got turned back in Central America when I got there with a very used Passport that had seen it's share of battles.
vegas492
Posted 6/15/2015 10:05 AM (#772652 - in reply to #772445)

My crew just experienced an issue similar to this...

My uncle grabbed his expired passport when we had our trip a few weeks ago. He did have a valid one, just grabbed the wrong one. We were help up at the board and sent inside. I think they ran our names through a database and in the end, it took about fifteen minutes and we had to pay a duty because we were a little over on beer. Then we were sent on our way.

On the way back, the US side wasn't pleased to see an expired passport. And they wanted nothing to do with a driver's license. The lady looked my uncle up, saw he had a valid passport and told him to bring the correct one next time. She wasn't rude about it, but she wasn't friendly either.

I don't think you will have any issue with a passport that is close to being expired.
MstrMusky
Posted 6/15/2015 2:33 PM (#772695 - in reply to #772445)

My favorite border stories all center around our one friend, who doesn't always go on the trips. Every time he does go with us, we all get sent in the house and sometimes we've even been searched (heading into Canada). And every time as we are pulling out of Fort Francis...we all start giving him *@^$ about it. "What are you not telling us?"

I've figured out he is the common denominator. I've gone through every combination of our group of 6 guys that go on these trips. He's the only one present every time we get stopped. My suspicion is that he's either got a very old DUI from his early 20s (when he moved south and went a little nuts for a while) or he has a ton of old moving violations from when he had his TransAm. Either way, it SUCKS for the rest of us...
Booch
Posted 6/18/2015 12:21 PM (#773120 - in reply to #772445)

^ Next time let him out on the bridge and make him walk across!
muskie! nut
Posted 6/22/2015 4:26 PM (#773561 - in reply to #772571)

MstrMusky - 6/14/2015 1:27 PM

Gerard...i'd still take my chances getting stuck in Canada. :)

Believe me I was hoping that they would not let me back in the USA until I got it renewed. I told the resort owner that I may be coming back. He just laughed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)