Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> spring time small river/creek fishing

Message Subject: spring time small river/creek fishing
billy bucher
Posted 2/23/2015 9:25 AM (#755659)
Subject: spring time small river/creek fishing

Im looking to do some small river/ creek fishing this spring. Something skinny that i can take a 12ft jon boat up. Similer to the last episode of keys outdoors. My question is do you guys know of any good streams within an hour or so of Madison Wisconsin that has a fishable population of muskies? have no idea where to even start

Edited by billy bucher 2/23/2015 10:00 AM
ChinWhiskers
Posted 2/23/2015 1:05 PM (#755708 - in reply to #755659)
Subject: RE: spring time small river/creek fishing

Bill, First thing you do is get your self a Wisconsin Atlas & Gazetteer sold in most sporting goods stores. follow I94 to where it crosses the Wisconsin River near Wisconsin Dells, that's one you want to check out for feeder creek's up stream from there. the next spot is you stay on I94 on to Black River Falls to the Black River, this is the one I would check out first, up stream and down. Both rivers hold fish. your Atlas has boat launches on them that you should be able lunch your boat on. I would fish the feeder creeks from opening day till the northern fishing starts. most of these get very little fishing pressure. For baits I would go with small top water baits and small black buck tails. My Gzzetteer is from 1988 and has been sit on stood on rained on , missing both covers had has been on fishing and hunting trips over all most all of Wisconsin. Good fishing to you Marv.
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 2/23/2015 3:57 PM (#755728 - in reply to #755659)
Subject: Re: spring time small river/creek fishing

^^^^^this, plus the WI dnr website lists some muskie rivers. Get as much info as you can, some of that water is very tricky to get into, even with a go-devil.
Lumpy
Posted 2/23/2015 4:36 PM (#755736 - in reply to #755728)

To answer your original question "do you guys know of any good streams within an hour or so of Madison Wisconsin that has a fishable population of muskies?" The answer is YES.
Take the other guys advice as far as where to start and figure it out on your own, as most guys aren't willing to share the little gems they have found. I know I'm not.
Big W
Posted 2/23/2015 7:28 PM (#755772 - in reply to #755659)

Billy B, you won't be disappointed on your new adventure. Last year I attend the Wausau Musky Expo and heard a great presentation on fishing small rivers. The guy runs his business out of the T.Cities and is originally from Ashland, Wi. Anyway, I took a few trips down the North & South fork and was successful..can't wait till summer. My advice...pack lite, stuff might break, sometimes tie up to shore and fish from the banks, and bring plenty of bug dope.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)