Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Planning Alaska trip

Message Subject: Planning Alaska trip
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/22/2015 4:42 PM (#755546)
Subject: Planning Alaska trip

Hi guys. I'll be heading up to Alaska for a couple weeks this summer and while I had my vacation dialed in for leaving in mid july, my vacation schedule at work is such that I might need to move it to early August. I've been up there a few times, with the last time in 2007. That trip was centered aroud late July/early Aug so there was some opportunity for silvers in the streams, unlike my June and July trips of the past. We'll be staying in Anchorage and I'll fish the Alaska highway system from there. Unless I find a cheap hop, I won't do any flying out while there.

I can fish halibut any time during the summer, and the inland rainbows will be available at either of these times as well. Since it has been awhile since I've been up and hired a king salmon river drift guide on the Kenai or Kasilof, I was just wondering a few things: If you were to choose your trip to catch the most species, would you be getting there for your stay on 7/18/15 or 8/1/15. I know this isn't a big difference in dates, but remember I would like to fish kings if possible, unless the silver fishing would be that much better in august than my opportunity at a king in late july.

I would take any recomendations on guides, lodges, spots, etc for trout, pike, salmon, trophy halibut(though we likely have a charter lined up for pacific halibut. already). Not having my brother with me on these trips anymore, I will be fishing by myself most of the time, save for the halibut and king floats if timed properly, where the wife will come along. If you know of any reasonable day or two flights from anchorage to fish rainbows or salmon that aren't pressured like on the highway system, I'm all ears. Pike too, though i know trips for them are expensive and remote.

Guides I've used in the past and would consider again unless they no longer exist or something else suits needs:

Troufitters(Curt Trout-R.I.P.)-Rainbows
RW guides-Kenai Kings
Matt Duncan-Kasilof Kings
A-Fish-Hunts-Homer/Nanilchik Halibut
Seward charters-Halibut

Thank you in advance.
muskyhunter47
Posted 2/22/2015 4:56 PM (#755555 - in reply to #755546)
Subject: Re: Planning Alaska trip

I used Tim Bergs outfitters had a good trip but I was a week late to fish the kings .I was up in July fished silvers twice and halibut once.they tend to close the season on kings early so I would make some calls to get the best answers
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/23/2015 7:36 AM (#755630 - in reply to #755546)
Subject: RE: Planning Alaska trip

Good point. During one of my trips in the early 2000's, the season wasn't closed, but instead a 52" size limit placed on Kenai River Kings(a 52" is world class), so not alot of fish were kept but they were still fishing for them. Now, they close the season, or don't have one at all. The cool thing was that typically you keep the first one you catch, and done. Odds of catching one on that river arean't great. The first one I got wasn't measured but still bigger than any King I've gotten in LK MI, perhaps double. The second one was measured and came up short, but was a monster. Didn't mind releasing them at all.

Subsequent trips found us on the Kasilof River where no motorized boats are allowed and two kings can be kept. I'm not sure if seasons mirror the Kenai on that river or not. I will look into it. I am leaning more towards August for silvers and big Rainbows and am in search of Pike intel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)