Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Glide bait advice, shums? Phantoms? Etc

Message Subject: Glide bait advice, shums? Phantoms? Etc
Lumberjack
Posted 3/23/2021 1:15 PM (#977286)
Subject: Glide bait advice, shums? Phantoms? Etc

Looking to buy some glide baits. I'm a pike fisherman in Northern Canada who has started using some bigger muskie equipment with really good success the last few years which contributed to breaking my PB multiple times with big rubber and suicks on lakes that have most likely never seen these lures.

What I don't own is any glides. Any opinions on the new shums made by chaos tackle? Tap dancer, quickie, slim? From my understanding they used to be made by some one else and maybe are a little different now?

Phantoms? 4" 6"? The 7.5 doesn't appear to turn as well.

These baits cost me 2x as much after shipping/duty and currency conversion so I'm looking for some advice. Any other glide bait manufacturers you would suggest? I don't mind spending a bit more for a better product built in the usa/canada.

Thanks
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 3/23/2021 1:20 PM (#977287 - in reply to #977286)
Subject: RE: Glide bait advice, shums? Phantoms? Etc

I fished a 6" phantom quite a bit in my 15 ish outings, this year. I still prefer the hellhound over a phantom any day. The 4" phantom is okay, but, keep in mind, you'll need short and light leaders to get it to glide. Gliders are my favorite lures to fish, so I'll be watching this thread like a hawk!
MuskyMaciek
Posted 3/23/2021 1:22 PM (#977288 - in reply to #977286)
Subject: Re: Glide bait advice, shums? Phantoms? Etc

Squirrelly Hellhounds are my go to , very nice action . They have the normal hellhounds but personally I prefer the squirrelly .
Mojo1269
Posted 3/23/2021 2:20 PM (#977290 - in reply to #977288)

Phantoms (6 and 7.5) and Shums (I prefer the slims) are awesome. As are the Chaos/Kodiak Round Nose gliders. All three of which take a little more practice to make dance than a Hellhound. Most people can get a Hellhound going in short order but the aforementioned baits require more finesse and a combination of rod dips and reel cadence. You cant go wrong with any of them but they all shine in different situations. If fish are super neutral the slow action of Phantoms and the Round Nose glider put more fish in the boat for me than any other similar bait....
RJ_692
Posted 3/23/2021 2:43 PM (#977293 - in reply to #977286)

a 6" reef hawg has caught many a pike. old school and not fancy by today's standards but are still great fish movers
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/23/2021 6:12 PM (#977298 - in reply to #977293)

SquirKo's are a really good one- check these out
https://teamrhinooutdoors.com/products/monster-lures-squirko?_pos=1&...
Caught a lot of nice pike on these. Albino Firetiger, Fubar Perch and Ice cold perch have been very good colors for me for pike and muskys love them too.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
true tiger tamer
Posted 3/23/2021 9:35 PM (#977304 - in reply to #977286)

I'm a Hellhound guy, but the 6" Phantom softtail is pretty decent as well. My buddies are really into gliders and fish Manta Hang Tens, and Widow Makers quite a bit. A good pike lure for me is the dive and rise weighted Wade Wobblers. Reef Hawgs aren't consistent in my opinion, some work ok and others not so much. Good luck. Also you might have to get Cicciospin to weigh in as he catches some of his big pike in Italy on muskie lures, he might have a glider or two to recommend.
Ranger
Posted 3/23/2021 9:41 PM (#977306 - in reply to #977304)

Milk Run Lures, Lawton MI. Those guys have it down.

Let's see if I can do a pic...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(milk run perch glider (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments milk run perch glider (2).jpg (112KB - 275 downloads)
jdsplasher
Posted 3/23/2021 10:30 PM (#977308 - in reply to #977304)

true tiger tamer - 3/23/2021 9:35 PM I'm a Hellhound guy, but the 6" Phantom softtail is pretty decent as well. My buddies are really into gliders and fish Manta Hang Tens, and Widow Makers quite a bit. A good pike lure for me is the dive and rise weighted Wade Wobblers. Reef Hawgs aren't consistent in my opinion, some work ok and others not so much. Good luck. Also you might have to get Cicciospin to weigh in as he catches some of his big pike in Italy on muskie lures, he might have a glider or two to recommend.

You R Correct when saying reef hawgs R inconsistent, but a couple modifications to this bait, can Make them COME ALIVE, and majority can be Fixed to Glide with the best of them. There is a post back in 2014 as we hashed out how to modify Reef Hawgs. Can bring it up if anyone is interested?

JD 

bbeaupre
Posted 3/24/2021 9:03 AM (#977311 - in reply to #977286)

Ive caught pike on plenty of gliders but since no one has mentioned it the 4" is my absolute favorite for early season, skinny water pike (1 - 4 fow). I use it with a heavy action bass rod and a short steel leader. Ive also caught some of my better walleyes on this same setup, bass will eat this lure up as well.
sworrall
Posted 3/24/2021 10:43 AM (#977318 - in reply to #977286)

Suick Wabull is my favorite.
mikie
Posted 3/24/2021 10:51 AM (#977320 - in reply to #977286)

https://teamrhinooutdoors.com/collections/jerk-baits-plastics

These folks have quite a selection. m
Ram
Posted 3/24/2021 4:34 PM (#977334 - in reply to #977286)

JD, would love to see the reef hawg mod posts. Getting back to the original thread, I have also found pike love 6” reef hawgs, especially yellow perch colored. If going only for pike, you may want to pinch the barbs.
jdsplasher
Posted 3/24/2021 8:19 PM (#977354 - in reply to #977334)

Ram - 3/24/2021 4:34 PM JD, would love to see the reef hawg mod posts. Getting back to the original thread, I have also found pike love 6” reef hawgs, especially yellow perch colored. If going only for pike, you may want to pinch the barbs.

Ram; brought up post for U from 2014  ;) Same forum, title 6” and 8” Reef Hawgs.

JD 

Cedar
Posted 3/25/2021 12:06 AM (#977358 - in reply to #977286)

JBO Glide Raider, and Bitten Tackle Warlock. Both are affordable, and work very well. The 6" Warlock can be given some crazy action.

Rapala gliders - 6" X-Rap Subwalk, & Glidin' Rap (discontinued model, but still a lot out there). 2 more Rapala's for big Northerns - Super Shadow Rap, and the 20 cm (8") X-Rap Peto. The Peto's just flat out produce fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)