Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling motor stabilizers

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling motor stabilizers
sputterbug
Posted 3/29/2003 10:26 AM (#65073)
Subject: Trolling motor stabilizers

Should I install a RAM mount stabilizer for the 60" shaft/head of my Minn Kota 65AP?  The head has 4" of clearance when stowed and looks like there is no way it can hit anything, and the shaft can't flex enough to allow that.

If I install a RAM mount it will be in the way when fishing (port side). 

What have others done?  Any advice?

dpratt
Posted 3/29/2003 11:16 AM (#65074 - in reply to #65073)
Subject: RE: Trolling motor stabilizers

Keep in mind that if you have a snap-on cover, it may need to be altered to accomodate the stabilizer. I have a 60" Genesis and it seems rock solid so I'm going to skip the stabilizer.
stephendawg
Posted 3/29/2003 9:39 PM (#65133 - in reply to #65073)

I have a 1994 Tracker Magna 19 with a 42# AP and the first thing I did when I bought my boat was install a MinnKota Quick-release bracket ($40 in Bass Pro) for my motor. My neighbor has a brand new Tracker Targa 17 with a 65# Power Drive and I suggested he do the same thing to his boat last year. He loves it and so do I. When trailering you can simply remove the motor from the bow and stow on the floor (or wherever) and when covering, do the same. I actually use my "Rod Saver" to secure the motor in my boat. Works great in my floorplan. No stabilizer on either rig.
VMS
Posted 3/30/2003 3:37 PM (#65193 - in reply to #65073)

When I am on the water, I don't have a stabilizer on the bowmount. Reason being is that in the Powerdrive/AP units, you can replace the rubber bushings that push the pivot rod down at the main mount, which keeps the motor rock solid while travelling down the lake.

On the flip side of this, when trailering with cover, I built a removable support that fits right up under the shaft, tied to the handle on the motor, and cover from there. With the air pressure on the cover, you will wear out the bushings pretty quick. This saves the problem, and there are no extra straps/ball mount for ram up by the deck to be hit or tripped on (dpending on placement)

Steve
sputterbug
Posted 3/30/2003 7:13 PM (#65215 - in reply to #65073)

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the great ideas.
Shep
Posted 3/30/2003 8:22 PM (#65224 - in reply to #65215)

Sputter,

You have 4" clearance from the head to the gunnel? Trust me, you will want to use thst Ram Mount. I have about the same, and it did hit the gunnel last year in some rough stuff. Put the Ram mount on the next night! Remember, the electronics are in the head. Need a pic? hehehe
sputterbug
Posted 3/30/2003 9:47 PM (#65240 - in reply to #65073)

Lots of food for thought.  They were able to mount the motor with the quick-release plate I'd bought, so that's a big plus for travel.  'Spose I should be concerned with high seas. 

I retract my earlier remark about there being no way the head can hit the gunnel.  After looking closer, it's very possible.  Problem is I ordered the longest Cabela's RAM mount, and it's too short.  Guess I'll have to get this longer version advertised on walleyesinc.com : http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc3/onlinestore6.htm

Shep, instead here's a pic for you <g>.  You can see the angle of the motor head and the short mount from Cabela's.  I don't know if I can mount to the fiberglass gunnel.  That'd be great, but there's no way to get any plywood backing up behind without sawing from underneath, and I don't think screws are gonna hold it in the fiberglass.  So, long mount from walleyesinc may be the way to go...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(106-0637_img.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 106-0637_img.jpg (65KB - 1225 downloads)

Posted 4/5/2003 5:14 PM (#66004 - in reply to #65073)

Have you ever seen or hear of anyone using a Bounce Buster by Motor Guide? I saw it in the last issue of Bass and Walleye Boats. I purchased the Ram mount at the end of the season last year and never put it on. The Bounce Buster looks like it would not have connect it each time. I know what I would do. Thinking its not that rough and not connect it. I have 60" shaft trolling motor and it realy gets a bouncing.
Shep
Posted 4/5/2003 7:49 PM (#66008 - in reply to #66004)

Just remembered another solution. Post this on WalleyeFirst, Attn Perhjerker. He has a site that shows all sorts of neat solutions to boat rigging problems. He has an option for this too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)