Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Double 50's at Andy Meyers Lodge!

Message Subject: Double 50's at Andy Meyers Lodge!
Eric E
Posted 10/9/2014 10:33 PM (#734221)
Subject: Double 50's at Andy Meyers Lodge!

After seeing the picture of our two fish in the net on the home page, I wanted to take an opportunity to share a few details around what happened prior to these beautiful fish making their way into the net. Additionally, the amazing staff at Andy Meyers Lodge deserves a great deal of credit for having us on quality fish like this during our entire stay.

We'd raised a couple of nice fish on this spot earlier in the day and decided to go back after giving them a breather for about an hour. Almost immediately upon our return, we raised a nice fish, followed shortly by our guide Danny Herbeck hollering that he had one take our sucker. My boat partner KJ and I had both just launched another cast at the structure, so he quickly handed me his pole and went to the back of the boat to put the laces to the fish. As soon as he set the hook, we knew it was a good fish, as the pole was bent nearly in half. Seeing that he was hooked up, I started burning my crankbait back to the boat (with KJ's pole still tucked under my other arm) and as it was nearing the surface, another huge fish was roaring to the surface behind it to finish the deal. Unfortunately, as my bait reached the surface, it found the slack line from KJ's pole and became tangled, which forced a change of heart from the following fish and it peeled away. KJ is still hooked up in the back of the boat and having a heck of a time moving the fish, while I'm cursing in the front of the boat that I'd missed the opportunity at the other giant. I quickly pulled my bait from the water and tried to untangle the line from my lure, thinking that I could fire it back on the hot fish. Well, it was one of those messes that you look at and wonder "how can something like this happen so fast?". Again, KJ is still hooked up in the back of the boat. As I'm working the mess in front of me, the line from KJ's pole goes tight (remember, his pole is still tucked under my other arm) as his lure is now stuck in the rocks on the bottom. I give the line a couple of pulls and free the lure, and then went back to picking his line from my own lure. After a few more seconds, the line goes tight again, and I'm assuming his lure is lodged in the rocks once more. I gave the line another pull and quickly freed it from the rocks (or so I thought) and dropped it to continue working on my own mess. About this time, KJ's fish starts to make a move towards the front of the boat, where I'm still standing with a pole under each arm, a mess of lure and line in my hands, and a bait sitting on the bottom. At this point, I drop both poles and my lure on the floor of the boat and start pulling the line to get it out of the way for KJ and the fish he's got on the sucker rod. As I start to gather the slack line while kneeling at the side of the boat, I get the first glimpse of KJ's fish, and it's a PIG! As I continue to gather the slack line, the fish comes to the surface and Danny quickly slides the net under it and it's in the bag. We immediately start hollering at the size of the belly on the beast at the bottom of the Beckman and celebrating the successful capture of this monster (all the while I'm still pulling up slack line from KJ's original cast). As I'm getting to the end of the slack, there is again tension on the line, with the only difference being that this time it's MOVING! The other two are still celebrating when I sheepishly blurt out "I think there's a fish on the end of this line". Realizing that I have something at the end of the line, I start to slowly pull the fish up in a manner that you'd bring in a fish on a tip-up while ice fishing. It isn't long before we get a look at her, and it's another hawg of a fish. We can also see the entire bait sticking out of its mouth and that it's barely hooked in the middle of the bottom jaw...not good. As I get her to the surface, she makes a big jump/shake at the side of the boat, and somehow stays pinned. Danny quickly (or as quickly as you can with a 35-38lb fish already in the net) slides the Beckman under the fish and as it goes in the net the lure pops out and gets hung up just under the rim of the net. At this point we all erupted with what was probably a profanity-laced celebration, while staring at two beautiful muskies in the bottom of the net. After a quick measure and some pictures, we had the privilege of releasing the fish back to where they came from. As you might imagine, we spent the rest of the day reliving the craziness that we'd experienced, and quickly realized that we had a fish story that will last a lifetime. Obviously, it's a great pleasure to catch a 50" musky. To have two of them in the net at the same time, under the circumstances with which they were caught, was a real blessing.

As I stated at the beginning of the post, a great deal of credit goes to the staff at Andy Meyers Lodge. While this was clearly the highlight of the trip, there were many more muskies caught, chances at fish presented, and too many big fish seen to count during our stay. We wanted this to be a special trip, and Julian, Herbie, Danny and the rest of the crew absolutely delivered for us. Needless to say, we've got our days picked out for next year, and I can't say enough about how well we were treated during our stay. If you're even remotely considering a trip, you would do well to check out Andy Meyers Lodge...great staff, great accommodations, great service, and a shot at giant fish. Counting the days until our return next year...

Eric Elwer
Redfin Outdoors

https://www.facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge/photos/pcb.10152745845544929...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(double.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments double.jpg (60KB - 269 downloads)
timhutson1
Posted 10/10/2014 6:41 AM (#734229 - in reply to #734221)
Subject: RE: Double 50's at Andy Meyers Lodge!

Wow! amazing story. Congrats.
mnmusky
Posted 10/10/2014 6:48 AM (#734230 - in reply to #734229)

timhutson1 - 10/10/2014 6:41 AM

Wow! amazing story. Congrats.

X2.....doubles are rare! well done under chaos.
Brozz88
Posted 10/10/2014 7:03 AM (#734231 - in reply to #734230)

That's when "it" happens, when you least expect it. Congrats guys,where's the pics? Oops, I see em now awesome pics of double pigs!!

Edited by Brozz88 10/10/2014 7:06 AM
14ledo81
Posted 10/10/2014 8:34 AM (#734240 - in reply to #734221)
Subject: Re: Double 50's at Andy Meyers Lodge!

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.
musky1969
Posted 10/10/2014 3:07 PM (#734277 - in reply to #734221)

Best story I heard in a long time!!! Good for you guys!
pklingen
Posted 10/11/2014 5:03 AM (#734322 - in reply to #734221)

some things are just meant to be! congrats on a memorable trip to say the least!
ArmPit
Posted 10/11/2014 10:46 AM (#734341 - in reply to #734322)

Awesome story, thanks for sharing!
achotrod
Posted 10/11/2014 4:30 PM (#734368 - in reply to #734221)

Thats is awesome! I dream about that kind of stuff!
Ranger
Posted 10/11/2014 9:33 PM (#734424 - in reply to #734221)

Wow! Way to go!
sworrall
Posted 10/12/2014 8:00 PM (#734571 - in reply to #734221)

Nice work!!
Natureboy
Posted 10/13/2014 10:37 AM (#734664 - in reply to #734221)

Stories like this make it awfully hard to shut down my musky brain and turn my mind toward archery! Great job and great story!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)