Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Improving Spinner Bait Hookups

Message Subject: Improving Spinner Bait Hookups
dfkiii
Posted 7/17/2014 10:10 PM (#721193)
Subject: Improving Spinner Bait Hookups

The weeds are starting to get thick and I was throwing a spinner bait for the majority of the day. I went 0 for 3 and I'm thinking that there must be something I'm missing to increase my hookup percentage with spinner baits.

Any tips/advice is appreciated (yes, the hook is already razor sharp !). Thanks in advance !
jboutdoorguy
Posted 7/17/2014 10:33 PM (#721196 - in reply to #721193)
Subject: Re: Improving Spinner Bait Hookups

Is the hook bent inward? Does it need a tweak with a pliers?
jdsplasher
Posted 7/18/2014 6:20 AM (#721204 - in reply to #721193)
Subject: RE: Improving Spinner Bait Hookups

Dan, I feel your pain.  Back in the early 90's, I ran a spinnerbait one night and went 1 for 6. That was the last time I used a spinnerbait that used the hook imbedded in the lead. All my customs are built different than that today. Leverage free trebles, and single hooks that have about 30 percent play.

I never had a nightmare ish outing with spinnerbaits again:)  

JD

psv
Posted 7/18/2014 7:41 AM (#721212 - in reply to #721193)

JD
I don't get it. Thick weeds and free trebles?
I assume you're fishing on top of the weeds. I don't see how you can "grind" the spinnerbaits with trebles inside the weeds. Please, explain. Maybe I'm missing something.
Dan
Just curious: what kind of spinnerbaits did you use?
dfkiii
Posted 7/18/2014 9:25 AM (#721237 - in reply to #721212)

jboutdoorguy - 7/17/2014 10:33 PM
Is the hook bent inward? Does it need a tweak with a pliers?

No inward bend on the hooks JB.

psv - 7/18/2014 7:41 AM
Just curious: what kind of spinnerbaits did you use?

The first miss was on a Bucher Slopmaster (one single hook). I then switched to a a Hirsch Ghost Tail (two single hooks) for the second two misses.

Maybe it was just bad luck. Again, any tips are appreciated.
curleytail
Posted 7/18/2014 9:39 AM (#721240 - in reply to #721193)

I haven't used spinnerbaits much for a while, but when I fished shallow flowages more I used them a lot. Mostly Rad Dogs (tandem single hooks). My hookup ratio was very good with them. I don't think I lost many fish at all - no more than might be expected on any bait. Have used a Ghosttail spinnerbait just a little the last couple years. No muskies on it but it seems to pin northerns up just fine (doesn't everything though!).

I have a feeling it might have just been bad luck. I usually have a very high percentage hookup on rubber baits too, but remember a time span or two where just about every fish that hit was lost immediately or at some point before getting to the boat. Sometimes I think they just aren't committing like we'd like them to, or something.

I have seen a tip where guys bend the trailer hook out to the SIDE slightly, and I could see how that might help. Maybe makes them a little less weedless though?

Edited by curleytail 7/18/2014 9:40 AM
Steve Jonesi
Posted 7/18/2014 9:48 AM (#721241 - in reply to #721193)

Try offsetting the single hooks. I did this back in the 90's and my hook-up % increased. I used a pair of pliers and offset the 2 hooks opposite of each other. When the bait was "flat" in their mouth, there was a point sticking up (or down) to hopefully "bite". Worth a shot!!
Muskie Bob
Posted 7/18/2014 9:53 AM (#721242 - in reply to #721193)

"but it seems to pin northerns up just fine (doesn't everything though!). "

While fishing a spinner bait for northern pike, I've had northern pike hit the spinner blades and never touch a hook. I've even lost a blade or two.
Are you sure it wasn't a northern pike hitting the spinner blade? Just a thought.....
Brett Waldera
Posted 7/18/2014 10:00 AM (#721244 - in reply to #721193)

Jonesi is spot on with his advice. bend both hooks opposite and your hook ups will increase. Lots of stock spinnerbaits need to have the molded eye hook offset with a pliers...they do not come that way.
AFchris
Posted 7/18/2014 10:14 AM (#721249 - in reply to #721193)

Dan,
I'm a spinnerbait chucking fool. Since I first started chasing musky as a kid I just always have enjoyed throwing them. I love grinding weeds and cover like you mentioned. One thing I noticed was my hook up ratio started to decrease in the late summer and fall like you mentioned until Chad Cain showed me a trick on Kinkaid. On his spinnerbaits he would always add a trailer hook with a grub. While some baits come out of the package with them on, I'm not sure it’s needed for all applications.

First things first, I’ve tried handfuls of different brands and types trailer hooks. Hands down the best on the market is the Gamakatsu Open Eye Siwash Hook. For one, they’re sharp and extremely durable. Secondly, the open eye makes putting them on baits easy. I simply use pillars to synch the eye once it’s on the bait. I do usually add some sort of plastic keeper so it stays put on the bait. I went and bought 10 feet of aquarium tubing and its lasted me years. As far as trailers, it’s all personal preference. I have always used Kalins secured by a small zip tie.

JD did bring up a very important design aspect of spinnerbaits that most overlook. Spinnerbaits that have the hook embedded into the lead allows the fish to gain leverage on you very quickly. I’ve lost countless numbers of fish to this issue. Big ones too. The ones that you wake up setting the hook on in a dream. Having the “give” that JD mentioned allows the fish to change directions, jump, and just act a crazy without compromising your hook penetration.

Another thing you might want to consider is the rod. Not sure what brand/type/power you using but I got lazy this year and lost a real nice fish in Canada because I got lazy and was throwing it on an underpowered rod. Didn’t get a good hook set and it cost me a picture worthy fish.

Chris

Edited by AFchris 7/18/2014 10:15 AM
Wimuskyfisherman
Posted 7/18/2014 11:25 AM (#721262 - in reply to #721249)

Open the gap up a little bit so that point is slightly outward. I do this on all my spinnerbaits.
psv
Posted 7/18/2014 12:38 PM (#721276 - in reply to #721193)

My Grinders have one of the largest with wide gap hooks in the industry + trailer hook.

Junkman
Posted 7/18/2014 1:16 PM (#721281 - in reply to #721193)

Don't know if it's out of line to mention other publications...but the Musky Hunter that just came out yesterday had an article by Bob Turgeon on the finer points of Spinner Bait fishing that really laid out the tips you're looking for. He writes really good stuff, as good an "educator" out there as anybody. Probably a Vikings fan...but nobody's perfect.
dfkiii
Posted 7/18/2014 3:46 PM (#721311 - in reply to #721193)

Thanks for the tips everybody ! Looking forward to employing a few of them this weekend.

As soon as the postman drops off the issue in my mailbox, I'll be turning right to Bob's article. Thanks for the heads-up Marty.
bturg
Posted 7/18/2014 4:34 PM (#721317 - in reply to #721193)

Thanks Marty...I'm a football fan in general....it gets people off of the lakes in the fall !

I did a Tip about a year ago Re: wiring an inline trailerhook on spinner baits...its a very effective modification for both hookups and weedless aspects...try looking up that one.
psv
Posted 7/18/2014 4:45 PM (#721318 - in reply to #721193)

Bob,
Any pictures of this method?
bturg
Posted 7/18/2014 4:52 PM (#721319 - in reply to #721193)

I just did one too a Klack bait....here is a pic of the final product. The wire is wrapped to the shank of the front hook and also the trailer...it provides stability only as the trailer is attached to the front hook via the eye for transmiting the power of the hooksets. It keeps the trailer from flopping around, getting fouled etc. Another thing to consider is the generally too small gap on most baits...this lure shown has about a 10?/0 std hook. If you don't get around the jawbone you will not often get a solid hookup.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(photoMA31241500-0001.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photoMA31241500-0001.JPG (86KB - 232 downloads)
psv
Posted 7/18/2014 5:34 PM (#721324 - in reply to #721193)

Big thanks Bob
Muskie Bob
Posted 7/18/2014 10:29 PM (#721350 - in reply to #721193)

I recently started making a few spinner baits where I use a trailer hook with a straight eyelet. I noticed the one in the picture above has a bent eyelet. Does the shape of the trailer hook's eyelet have any effect? Is one better than the other? Just curious....
WINDKNOT
Posted 7/19/2014 3:41 AM (#721357 - in reply to #721193)

You can also make up a weed guard on your trailer hook with wire or heavy mono. And put on upside down. Musky&Pikes lower jaw is a lot easier to stick a hook into than the top. Less bone and teeth.
nicola carli
Posted 7/19/2014 5:02 AM (#721358 - in reply to #721193)

A lot of weed, spinnerbait smaller,is good. This is the rule of my Lake, always full of weeds, for many many months.Trailer Hook if you can, but not necessary on spinnerbait small.but can be put if the weed is so much..a spinner from Compact 3/4oz,bass style, and throw in every hole on weed, with short cast,precise throws, even eat fall. the pike Italians. ... like it!
bturg
Posted 7/19/2014 11:50 AM (#721408 - in reply to #721350)

Muskie Bob - 7/18/2014 10:29 PM

I recently started making a few spinner baits where I use a trailer hook with a straight eyelet. I noticed the one in the picture above has a bent eyelet. Does the shape of the trailer hook's eyelet have any effect? Is one better than the other? Just curious....

The bent eye lets the hook trail at a better angle and hang lower...I bend my own from straight hooks.
bwalsh
Posted 7/19/2014 12:59 PM (#721411 - in reply to #721193)

I''ve never had problems with hookups using a Grinder.
Captdoug
Posted 7/19/2014 8:53 PM (#721441 - in reply to #721193)

Try one of these.

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/3/page/6/...

They make them up to 6oz.

They are big singles, 7/0 - 9/0
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/20/2014 8:40 AM (#721475 - in reply to #721241)

Steve Jonesi - 7/18/2014 9:48 AM Try offsetting the single hooks. I did this back in the 90's and my hook-up % increased. I used a pair of pliers and offset the 2 hooks opposite of each other. When the bait was "flat" in their mouth, there was a point sticking up (or down) to hopefully "bite". Worth a shot!!

Yup, I first used this to help increased hook ups while Bass fishing, for muskie I prefer a treble though. The shrink wrap gets chewed up quicker, but its lot easier/faster to make them vs. the wrapped model.

You can cast a bucktail with 2-5/0s in your yard without fouling to give you an idea how well they work. I use them to penetrate thick weeds, or skim on top of lily pad beds.

Slick solution to an age old problem. 

Edited by Jerry Newman 7/20/2014 8:42 AM

(weedless hooks.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments weedless hooks.jpg (21KB - 220 downloads)
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/20/2014 8:57 AM (#721478 - in reply to #721475)

In case someone's interested in making them?

I use 86lb test wire for 4/0, and 105lb for the workhorse 5/0.

The shorter piece of wire goes to the welded single hook on the treble, obviously slide the wire through the hook eye to hold it in place, then put the shrink wrap on before bending the wire at an angle to the hook point. 

I like the bent hook eye idea for the singles too. 

Edited by Jerry Newman 7/20/2014 9:01 AM

(2 wire lengths needed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2 wire lengths needed.jpg (29KB - 198 downloads)
Herb_b
Posted 7/21/2014 11:42 AM (#721627 - in reply to #721193)

Until turnover, I use spinner baits about 90% of the time. I have found that the difference between a solid hook-set and a missed fish is a fine one. The little things make all the difference. This is what works for me:
1. Let the fish close its mouth before setting the hook. I have found that simply counting "one thousand-one", or waiting a second, will at least double hooking percentage. A quick-draw hook-set usually results in a missed fish.
2. Set the hook hard and in an upward manner - not sideways. Proper feet position is critical to apply maximum force. I keep my left foot forward and use a cross-body hook-set that often sends 5 lb bass flying into the air. My fishing partners and I do occasionally have to duck, but its quite affective.
3. Lock the drag tight and loosen it only after the hook is set.
4. Keep those hooks sharp. I check my hooks often - especially if catching lots of bass/pike or when running through heavy cover. A dull hook is usually a missed hook-set.

Hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)