Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> making mono leaders

Message Subject: making mono leaders
muskie dreamer
Posted 3/12/2003 4:36 AM (#63435)
Subject: making mono leaders

Hi all. I was hoping to get some suggestions on how to make your own mono leaders. I wanted to try to make my own this year, but have no experience. Any tips on line (type and #) and swivles would be helpful. Also, has has anyone used the Muskie Innovations mono leaders, and if so how are they? Cheers and good luck for the upcoming season.
lobi
Posted 3/18/2003 8:54 PM (#64160 - in reply to #63435)
Subject: RE: making mono leaders

I've made my own. I used 80 lb mono, sevenstrand crimp sleeves, and sampo ball bearing swivles with coastloc snaps. The sampo's are the major expense of the project but they are good. You can make 'em right in the boat it is so fast if you want and don't have to worry about storing them without tangles.
MuskyPippo
Posted 3/19/2003 12:22 AM (#64177 - in reply to #64160)

Dreamer,
If I could make a suggestion, it would be to go with Fluorocarbon leader material. I just tied 20 of them tonight using 60# Fluorocarbon. I used #6 Berkley Cross Lock Snaps and 100# swivels. I only use these leader for trolling. Thanks to suggestions on this board I used a Uni-Knot to tie to the swivel and snaps and dabbed it with a little fisherman's glue to stregthen the knot even more. With the Uni-Knot there is nowhere for the line to slip, it will only tighten more with pull on it. The Fluorocarbon is very easy to tie also and very durable. Hope this helped.

-Phil Cali
lobi
Posted 3/21/2003 6:32 PM (#64457 - in reply to #63435)

pippo..is fishing glue the same as super glue? It doesn't melt the line? I've never used it.

Another great thing about making your own mono leaders is the line (per foot anyway) is cheap. When the leader gets some nicks in it you can re tie using the same swivles and snaps, just use new line.
MuskyPippo
Posted 3/21/2003 9:37 PM (#64480 - in reply to #64457)

lobi,
I know the Fisherman's Glue smells and dries like super glue, but I know it doesn't eat through the line I think super glue would but I could be totally wrong. I'm too scared to try and have it fail on me I guess..lol

-Phil
Trophymuskie
Posted 3/22/2003 7:24 AM (#64501 - in reply to #63435)

I use hard mono , still a lot stronger then regular mono and it still lets you make 6 leaders for the price of 1 fluro. Believe me no way you will use 6 hard mono leaders before 1 fluro. The only reason I would see someone use fluro would be so it is transparent in clear water. You just need to replace them when you see any kind of nick.

As for  snaps and swivels I use berkleys #6 and take then apart putting snap at one end and swivel at the other. I use a clinch knot with 2 or 3 turns max as they are hard to tie but once done I use a large electrical wire hung on a beam in my basement and a hammer at the snap end to put weight down to tighten the knots as well as straightening the leaders.

I make four foot leaders for trolling out of hard mono but still use 12 inch solid wire leaders for casting.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)