Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bucktail twist

Message Subject: Bucktail twist
greenhyena
Posted 8/26/2014 10:16 AM (#727073)
Subject: Bucktail twist

So I've got a dedicated bucktail setup that I'm getting some major line twist on. I've tried bending the lead wire on some of the tails that spin, and have tried lots of different swivels on the leaders, but I still get a lot of twist. Just wondering if there's any other tricks I can try. Not all my tails spin, but there are some that I like a lot that spin no matter what. I suppose I could always rebuild them with a keel weight, but that'll change the weight and the action probably.
ToddM
Posted 8/26/2014 10:33 AM (#727077 - in reply to #727073)
Subject: Re: Bucktail twist

That was my suggestion is a bell sinker, especially if you ha e a front treble. The clevise should ride on a small solid bead and the clevise should be a perfect u shape with the wire holes parallel with each other. Most clevises are not. These things will nearly eliminate twisting.
mreiter
Posted 8/26/2014 11:37 AM (#727086 - in reply to #727073)

What do you mean by "Bending The Lead Wire"? To take out the twisting or spinning of the entire bucktail you should only need to bend the "Eye" of the lure in one direction to create somewhat of a rudder. It is critical to use two pliers and only bend the eye. Not the eye knot or wire. Just the eyelet to create a rudder. This will take care of it. Are you running two bearings? One on the leader and one on your line?

A couple of other tips from and old post. http://www.gruntmuskielures.com/tuningbucktail.html

MR
stdevos
Posted 8/26/2014 3:29 PM (#727145 - in reply to #727073)

In my experience, swivels/bearings do not work as intended. Try spinning your leader and see if the line above the leader twists as well (hint, it will). ToddM hit the nail on the head, U shaped clevis and you need a keel weight. I bend my bucktail wire such that the weight will act as a keel. Also what helps, is a healthy amount of marabou/flashabou/whatever. The thinner bucktails get, the more they will want to spin on you.
greenhyena
Posted 8/28/2014 9:45 AM (#727465 - in reply to #727073)

Thanks guys! Yeah I'll have to examine the tails that are spinning and adjust the clevises and possibly add some weight.
jakejusa
Posted 8/28/2014 4:08 PM (#727526 - in reply to #727073)
Subject: RE: Bucktail twist

We normally cut the leaders off each rod and drag lines out about once a month, Crank the line back on tight and we never have a problem that costs a fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)