Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Bow Mount Fish Finder interference

Reply New post
Message Subject: Bow Mount Fish Finder interference
setme31
Posted 3/19/2003 11:06 AM (#64222)
Subject: Bow Mount Fish Finder interference

I have a Garmin 160 bow mount, and it is impossible to use when I am running the trolling motor.  If the trolling motor is higher than 40%, it shuts off the Garmin.  If it is less than 40%, then the screen dims.  I have the interference setting on the Garmin set to 98%, and it still doesn't help.  Is there anyway to fix this?

I have a Tuffy Esox Ltd, and all of the wires are joined and then run to the batteries.  Should I run a new set of wires to a seperate battery (I have 3 batteries)?  If so, what is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks,

Scott

Shep
Posted 3/19/2003 11:51 AM (#64228 - in reply to #64222)
Subject: RE: Bow Mount Fish Finder interference

First thing I would do is make sure the sonar is not connected to either of the trolling motor batteries. Next, make sure your sonar leads are run all the way to the main battery, fused of course.

I seem to remeber a post somewhere a guy that had a program for making sure the trolling motor system was totally shielded. Steve Worrall, ring a bell with you?
setme31
Posted 3/19/2003 4:30 PM (#64272 - in reply to #64222)

That's the problem.  The trolling motor, and depth finder leads are combined in some kind of junction before they are run to the back of the boat.  There is no way to connect the depth finder leads to a different battery than the trolling motor.  By the time they get to the back of the boat, they are the same wire.
stephendawg
Posted 3/20/2003 7:42 AM (#64320 - in reply to #64222)

I know this isn't feesible with everyone but, my boat carries 5 batteries. You say, "What?!" Yes, 5...! It is a 19' deep-vee and was used for striper. I don't care about the extra weight. What I gain in performance and safety outweighs the speed issue. 1 battery is the starter, 1 is accesories, 2 is for elec trolling motor, and the last one is dedicated to my fish finder. 3 are at the front and 2 at the rear. No problems with my electronics so far.
Shep
Posted 3/20/2003 7:48 AM (#64321 - in reply to #64320)

Setme,

I would suggest you track down the leads for the depth finder, and separate them from the common connection. Splice on some new wires, and then run them to the starting battery. Gotta be a way to do this. You may have to get behind the panel with the the switches.
VMS
Posted 3/20/2003 7:52 AM (#64323 - in reply to #64222)

Not sure if you would be willing to do this, but..

I'd separate the depthfinder wire from the trolling motor wire, then get 2 six volt lantern batteries, hook them in series with a jumper, and then hook your depthfinder leads to that (splice a fuse in as well). 2 6-volt batteries will last a fairly long time, since a depthfinder does not use a whole lot of juice to run. Or..you could use one of the 12 volt batteries made for portable finders and they are able to be recharged. You will not be using up a whole lot of space either way you do it.

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)