Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Slammer Drop Belly gliders

Message Subject: Slammer Drop Belly gliders
sworrall
Posted 3/17/2003 10:18 PM (#64044)
Subject: Slammer Drop Belly gliders

I know some of you prototyped the bait last year, could you please tell me about your experience with the bait as to what technique worked well for you?
Scott Jenkins
Posted 3/17/2003 11:34 PM (#64052 - in reply to #64044)
Subject: RE: Slammer Drop Belly gliders

Steve,

I was down on Kinkaid this past weekend and had great success with the Golden Shiner Drop Belly. I caught four fish yesterday (3/16/03) - 32", 34", 40" and a 41". We were fishing a timber cove. Pitching the bait up to the bank and working it back between the maze of wood. Keeping it high initially and then working it slower and deeper back to the boat worked the best. 15 to 20 foot casts is all we were making. Every fish hit right at the side of the boat. Before you knew it, they were on top of it like a freight train - always eating the head/middle of the bait. The best retrieve is to quick hop (several quick twitches in a row), then pause, then a quick twitch and a pause, another quick twitch and a pause then quick hop again.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(slmrjerk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments slmrjerk.jpg (21KB - 202 downloads)
Scott Jenkins
Posted 3/17/2003 11:36 PM (#64053 - in reply to #64052)

Here's the first Kinkaid fish. A 34" that ate the Slammer Golden Shiner Drop at about 1:45pm at boatside.

(kinkaid34.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments kinkaid34.jpg (23KB - 181 downloads)
Scott Jenkins
Posted 3/17/2003 11:37 PM (#64054 - in reply to #64053)

Here's the second fish - a 41" that ate the Slammer Golden Shiner Drop Belly at boatside at about 2:30pm.

(kinkaid41.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments kinkaid41.jpg (38KB - 209 downloads)
Scott Jenkins
Posted 3/17/2003 11:38 PM (#64055 - in reply to #64054)

Here's the 40" fish that ate the Golden Shiner Slammer Drop Belly at boatside at about 3:00pm.

(kinkaid40.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments kinkaid40.jpg (34KB - 183 downloads)
Scott Jenkins
Posted 3/17/2003 11:40 PM (#64056 - in reply to #64055)

This little 32" had to get into the action at about 3:30pm. Again, Slammer Golden Shiner Drop Belly at boatside.

(kinkaid32.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments kinkaid32.jpg (38KB - 175 downloads)
Scott Jenkins
Posted 3/17/2003 11:42 PM (#64057 - in reply to #64056)

This 37" fish didn't eat a Slammer Golden Shiner Drop Belly but it did round out my 5 fish day on Kinkaid yesterday. This one ate a Mann's 1-minus twitch bait.

I lost two other fish in the 40" range on the Drop Belly - could have been a 7 fish day!

(kinkaid37.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments kinkaid37.jpg (40KB - 170 downloads)
Slamr
Posted 3/17/2003 11:42 PM (#64058 - in reply to #64044)

The beauty of the Slammer Drop belly is in the shake or shimmy....
I found fish liked it when i worked it amaaaaazingly slow, with only a slight tappy on the line. Let'er slide, then shake.....slide, then shake. But I like to work slow as Molasses....Jason and Scott move them a bit faster I do believe. Scott, how fast a pace do you use with it?

Slamr
Scott Jenkins
Posted 3/18/2003 12:17 AM (#64060 - in reply to #64058)

I like to quick hop them (short, quick twitches) and then let it hang, followed by a twitch, let it hang, twitch, let it hang, then do the quick hop again. Most fish seem to come after the second hang. Work it fast intially to keep if high over weeds/timber/structure, then slow it down mid retrieve to work the deeper water, then speed it up as it is coming closer to the boat.

This bait is awesome when working in the timber coves. You can bounce it off of the timber which will also trigger fish. One of the 40" that I lost hammered the bait just after I had twitched it into one of the submerged trees. You can zig zag it around the timber like a snake. It is really pretty neat. Who cares about catching fish, I was having fun making it dance around the wood (LOL)!
kly
Posted 3/18/2003 12:29 AM (#64061 - in reply to #64058)

Great job with your early season success Scott! Please check your email, I sent you a few questions.
What are your favorite leaders on the drop belly? thinner wire(.035), heavier(.043), or thick(.051)? Any particular length and diameter that seems to get them to work just right? Get to use mine in two days, can't wait!!!
thanks
Kly
divani
Posted 3/18/2003 1:02 AM (#64063 - in reply to #64044)

I fished the 6" one with short pulls of about 8" long, making it dance side to side with lots of wobble. Another retrieve style I like, is to use long sweeps of the rod. It makes the slammer dropbelly wobble and shake all over the place. It is, in my opinion, not so much a side-to-side bait like a manta is but a sort of in-between jerkbait. A must have!
Beaver
Posted 3/18/2003 6:34 AM (#64068 - in reply to #64044)

I'd have to say that the action reminds me of a Striker Jr, but it's alot easier to work. I used low rod twitches and had it working side to side nicely. I have to agree that the 'shimmy' that it has is what sets it apart. Great lures.
Scott, way to go man. Great day on the water. Maybe it's an omen of the kind of year you're in store for.
Beaver
tomcat
Posted 3/18/2003 9:55 AM (#64089 - in reply to #64044)

So, Slammer is staying w/ the phenomenal market of the crazed glide baits these days...are they any different than Musky Mania's Magic Maker? I know i'll buy a few, i love gliders...but just curious.
After Musky Mania sold so many Magic Makers in 2002 (and they put fish in the boat), i'm sure there will have to be a few more drop bellies to enter the "main stream" market soon...(can you hear me Bucher Tackle, Crane, Odyssey etc..) Do most WI retailers carry the drop belly??? I think i need to pick some up.
thanks
Bill Schwartz - Slam
Posted 3/18/2003 12:12 PM (#64102 - in reply to #64089)

Tomcat,

The baits work best with a real short snap of the rod tip. They do not have a huge side to side glide but a short eratic glide. For me, this seems to trigger more fish to eat than just follow. There wieghted neutral bouant to a slow sinker so give it some time in between snaps. This is when the fish seemed to hit it, when the bait was just sitting there.

As of right now I will be only sell them to a few dealers and am not sure when I (or if) I will make them in big Qty's.
DRMUSKIE
Posted 3/18/2003 2:29 PM (#64119 - in reply to #64102)

Where can I buy some of these in the Golden Shiner pattern???
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/18/2003 2:43 PM (#64120 - in reply to #64119)

DRMUSKIE just klick on the "Its show time SLAMMER ad on the top of the General Descucion page. That will take you to the web site of Slammer Bait and Tackle. You can also go through a link off my web site under "Sponsors"
MuskyPippo
Posted 3/18/2003 6:42 PM (#64140 - in reply to #64120)

Scott,
Next time you are on the Chain and you go in for lunch I'm stealing all your baits...lol It would be like Corey stealing Sennett's baits. You have those "lucky" baits. Especially the ones that work on Pete's...lol Just kidding I'm not gonna steal your baits, but man you are a king with a glider/twitcher.

-Phil Cali

Edited by MuskyPippo 3/18/2003 6:45 PM
Schuler
Posted 3/18/2003 10:48 PM (#64173 - in reply to #64044)

I just threw the 6" drop belly glider for the first time today. All I can say is wow. It has a very nice roll and a fairly wide glide. It works really nice slowly. It is also very easy to work. Not many gliders are this easy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)