Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New Sunglasses

Message Subject: New Sunglasses
theedz155
Posted 3/10/2003 7:15 AM (#63111)
Subject: New Sunglasses

Will be buying a new pair of sunglasses this year. I want to get a good pair. Have been looking at the Ocean Waves w/Backwater Green lenses or Maui Jim's with Rose colored lenses. I have also thought about the H20's with the interchangeable lenses but would prefer the optical quality glass lenses to save my eyes some trouble later.

I want to get the best lenses for all around use.

Any suggestions?
Mark H.
Posted 3/10/2003 7:20 AM (#63112 - in reply to #63111)
Subject: RE: New Sunglasses

Ocean Waves with backwater green...I've used them for years and they are worth the $$ required to have a pair..

I'm ordering a Rx pair very soon so I don't have to wear contacts with them.

Good Luck,

Mark
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/10/2003 7:28 AM (#63117 - in reply to #63111)

I have the Maui Jims and just love them. Make sure you get a quality pair, you will be surprised how many fish you will see farther out, this will give you more time to work the fish as it comes to the boat. Any quality glasses will work but quality is not cheap. Buck up and lets catch some fish!!!!
PS. I hope all is going well with you and all your coworkers, my prayers are with you and all affected.
Sponge
Posted 3/10/2003 7:42 AM (#63125 - in reply to #63111)

Whatever the brand, I prefer the patriotic color of Kate Smiths famous song, "AMERICA"...to narrow it down, I like the hue AMBER, as in "AMBER waves of grain". For some reason, amber seems to help me see better into the water, and I can observe the fish I'm about to miss/lose sooner. Also it makes a dreary day seem a little brighter weather wise, and also helps me remain mentally stable for longer periods of time. Add the string thing that allows the shades to hang from your neck, and you will feel better about yourself and others. Looking "cool" is a priority for some, but to avoid retina burnout, go w/ good eyewear, unless you can make a living playing the piano later in life, like me buddy Ray...
Whatever path you decide to take in your quest for this important piece of equipment, know that we are here for you, and that there is wisdom in many counselors; though the decision ultimately belongs to you in the end, the phone lines are open for aid and comfort in you search...may the optomatrist be w/ you....
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/10/2003 9:45 AM (#63158 - in reply to #63111)

Action-Optics also have some awesome glasses. Check out their website, they have a lot to offer. Plus the customer service is great when it comes to fixing them if you break them.

http://www.actionoptics.com

Mike Hulbert
RAZE1
Posted 3/10/2003 9:50 AM (#63161 - in reply to #63125)

I really liked my Native brand glasses until I found them in my yard, chewed to pieces. One of my dogs got up on my kitchen table. I called the company and they have a lifetime warranty, for 20 bucks I get a new pair.

In my opinion fit is just as important as lens quality. You want as little light as possible to get in behind the lens. Most good glasses have a reflective coating on the inside of the lens to reflect those stray rays.

I got a pair of Revos and they have one of the best polarized lenses on the market but they are worthless on the water. Small glass lenses with metal frames allow too much light in around the sides and top.

I just got a pair of these new Maiu Jims. These are worth checking out .....
Maui Jim / Sport -HoOkipa
Mau Jim Sports are comfortable, and built to take on your toughest challenges with lightweight nylon frames, polycarbonate lenses and full glare and UV protection of PolarizedPlus technology. Maui Rose lenses: Excellent for fast action sports and for who prefers a subtle rose hue for everyday wear. Grey Lenses: Designed for bright light condition..Original Case-Yes. Manufacture Warranty-1 year. I think Bass Pro and Cabelas carry them also. These frames can be twisted and bent like a pretzel. That's what really sold me on em. Highly recommended !

Price: $ 119.95

ChadG
Posted 3/10/2003 10:02 AM (#63163 - in reply to #63111)

I have been wearing Oakley polarized glasses for two years,,,,nothing short of awesome. I can't remember the model name but they are a wrap around type thing. Quality glasses pay for themselves over and over. I wear the amber lens, helps in low light conditions. I wear my glasses all the time, they are eye protection from hooks as much as visual aids. Lots of quality companies out there, the Oakley glasses fit my head the best.
Bukes
Posted 3/10/2003 11:42 AM (#63178 - in reply to #63111)

Mark, do they make perscription glasses???????????????

Anyone know where to get some good perscription polarized sunglasses?????

Thanks in advance.
Mark H.
Posted 3/10/2003 12:34 PM (#63191 - in reply to #63111)

Bukes,

Ocean Waves can be ordered in Rx..yes. You can get them through their website or I would think through an authorized dealer.

The info I have says 2-3 weeks order time and you need a copy of your Rx from your eye Dr.

good luck,
C.Painter
Posted 3/10/2003 12:43 PM (#63193 - in reply to #63191)

Those Oakleys you are mentioning are the Frogskins....VERY lightly tinted so they are awesome in low light conditions. I have had mine for 5 years, a couple times I had to send them back for new lenses. I think they were like 114. The best part is they rap around the eye so absolutely NO light gets in from the sides. My eyes are extremely sensitive to light, so much so I usually wear my oakleys on cloudy days to help cut the glare.

Cory
rpieske
Posted 3/10/2003 12:55 PM (#63195 - in reply to #63111)

I have the Maui Jim glasses and am very happy with them. The color of the lenses seems to work best for me under almost all light conditions. Here is a link for further information:
http://www.sunglasshut.com/sghus.cfm?dir=templates&page=productpage...
Steve Jonesi
Posted 3/10/2003 1:56 PM (#63201 - in reply to #63111)

Costa Del Mar
davej
Posted 3/10/2003 4:17 PM (#63217 - in reply to #63111)

Maui Jim's ,Costa Del Mar, or Ocean Waves just make sure you get glass lenses. Take A road trip down here some day Bass Pro has A good selection of all three brands.
sputterbug
Posted 3/10/2003 6:37 PM (#63233 - in reply to #63111)

I just received my Ocean Waves backwater greens and can't wait to try them out.  They look a little geekier if you're driving around town, so that may or may not be a factor for you!  But I really like the protective leather side shields, and they seem like they fit a variety of faces well.  Like DaveJ said, the Mauis or Costas are also good, just depends on the lens tint I suppose.  I liked the idea of the green lens since some folks say they're great for the water, plus mirrored should take care of the bright days.
Posted 3/10/2003 10:17 PM (#63265 - in reply to #63111)

I have had em all maui jim is the best i think.0723
SharpHooks
Posted 3/11/2003 7:43 AM (#63281 - in reply to #63111)

This winter I bought the H30 interchangable set. Man are that comfortable to wear. I also like the fact I can change lens depending on the light situation without having to carry 2 other pairs with me. 
PapaJoe
Posted 3/11/2003 11:23 PM (#63425 - in reply to #63281)

Some pretty fair deals on Polarized sunglasses here:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/dept_id.L2~321/dept_name_p....
buy several of the less ridiculous priced ones, you can't have too many.

Also see lots of good deals at campmor.com, they tend to be lower quality but very cheap.

I have backwater greens Ocean Waves, like the lens but I got a pair with the old-dude side lenses. They fog up a little, might need some custom work...

I like my oldest glasses the best, Vuarnet Nautilux, they have darker bottom and top to the lens and lighter in the middle. Maybe it's my imagination but I see pretty well with them into the water.

Good luck,
Papa
kevin
Posted 3/12/2003 6:59 PM (#63531 - in reply to #63111)

I have Costa Del Mar's, 3 pairs, two amber one vermillion(they were on clearance, $25-40 a pair)... The difference is lens color. Amber is best for low light, overcast etc.., vermillion is for days that are partly sunny; gray or green I think are for bright sunny days. Revo and Nikon also make good galsses. Maui Jim is owned by fishermen or something like that. Basically don't hesitate to spend the cash for good ones. I'm pretty sure that both Revo and Costa offer stuff for perscriptions, best bet would be to check the various manufactures websites. Oh yeah, almost forgot..for all round use I tend to stick with the amber lenses as I could wear them sun up to sun down, other lenses in low light do not seem to perform as well but amber still works fine for me in the sun, maybe not as great as darker lenses but good enough not to miss a follow.

Edited by kevin 3/12/2003 7:03 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)