Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> trailer paint and primer

Reply New post
Message Subject: trailer paint and primer
Matt Collins
Posted 2/28/2003 10:54 PM (#62033)
Subject: trailer paint and primer

What is sthe best primer and paint for repainting boat trailers? User friendly products for someone who does not have access to a spray gun.
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 3/1/2003 7:32 AM (#62040 - in reply to #62033)
Subject: RE: trailer paint and primer

Matt:

I'm going to have to do some of this in the spring. I've been told to wait until temps are consistently above 50 degrees. My trailer manufacturer gave me the PPG paint code and told me to go to my local auto paint supply store and ask them to mix me up a small batch and load it into an aerosol can like you buy off the shelf at the hardware store. He said any quality auto primer the store recommends would be fine. He told me to use very light coats and do 3-5 coats if that's what it takes to avoid puting too much on all at once which will cause running and orange peeling.

Joe Mellott

Edited by Luke_Chinewalker 3/1/2003 7:34 AM
Trophymuskie
Posted 3/2/2003 9:30 AM (#62081 - in reply to #62033)

The best thing for the average Joe to do is use some Tremclad (rustpaint) as minimal preperation is needed like removing lose rust but this stuff will stick to surface rust. Most paint system require extensive preparation as in grinding away all rust and aplying the proper primers ect.ect.

The paint can be applied using a brush and small roller, a couple of thin coats are always better then thick ones no matter what you are painting.

dpratt
Posted 3/4/2003 9:55 AM (#62319 - in reply to #62033)

Painting the trailer is the easy part. The challenge for me is figuring out what to do with the boat while working on the trailer. Since I don't live on the water, it's a bit of a challenge.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)