Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Curados & Gear Ratios

Message Subject: Curados & Gear Ratios
Drakl
Posted 4/28/2014 8:28 AM (#709091)
Subject: Curados & Gear Ratios

I was wondering, if you compare the Curados (I'm using the curados because they are one of the reels combination that are nearly exactly the same, but I could have used many other combination to do the same):

- 300E 6.2.1 28 IPT
- 300EJ 6.9.1 32 IPT

The 0.7.0 difference adds 4 additionnal IPT to the EJ, but will it also automatically reduce it's torque/power or only the first number will influence the power?

I know that if you compare 2 complety different reels, a lot can come into play to explain the difference in IPT and power, but in that situation, every other parts should be quite the same as they are the same size and weight right?

lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 4/28/2014 10:28 AM (#709106 - in reply to #709091)
Subject: RE: Curados & Gear Ratios

Your torque will not be reduced much. If you are right handed buy the EJ!
BenR
Posted 4/28/2014 10:29 AM (#709107 - in reply to #709091)
Subject: Re: Curados & Gear Ratios

The EJ is a must have muskie reel, don't let the ratio scare you off. It is my most used reel. BR
Drakl
Posted 4/28/2014 11:17 AM (#709124 - in reply to #709107)

Ok I do own the EJ guys, thanks for the feedback, but I mostly want to know about the gear ratio questions, not really feedback on the Curados. Like I said, I could have used other reels to compare... maybe should have used a different post name.
bigfoot
Posted 4/28/2014 11:52 AM (#709132 - in reply to #709091)

lower gear ratio= easier to turn, just like the small gears on a bike you'd switch to going up hill

torque does not equal power

torque in a fishing reel is a little bit different, has to do with the handle. if you apply the same amount of force to each reel, the EJ has more torque because the lever arm (handle length from center of rotation to where the knob attaches to the handle) is longer. So if you had two identical reels, one with long handle and one with a normal handle, you could apply less force (easier for the fisherman to reel all day) with the longer handle and get the same amount of torque as the short handle, based on the equation torque=forcexlength of lever arm.

so in other words, the gear ratio has nothing to do with torque or "power".

this is for instance the reason why people put ljv handles on a tranx hg, to get a longer lever arm, which lets you get the same torque without having to apply as much force (you "work" less hard). There's also several more things involved here related to how hard a fella has to "work" to use a reel, and i cant remember exactly how they come in to play

its hard to talk science because a lot of words have very specific scientific definition but a more loose definition in everyday talk
smada
Posted 4/28/2014 12:23 PM (#709138 - in reply to #709107)

BenR - 4/28/2014 10:29 AM

The EJ is a must have muskie reel, don't let the ratio scare you off. It is my most used reel. BR

X2. My favorite and most used reel by far.
tswoboda
Posted 4/29/2014 9:45 AM (#709294 - in reply to #709091)

Drakl - 4/28/2014 8:28 AM 

- 300E 6.2.1 28 IPT

- 300EJ 6.9.1 32 IPT

The 0.7.0 difference adds 4 additionnal IPT to the EJ, but will it also automatically reduce it's torque/power or only the first number will influence the power?

^^This makes me think you are interpreting gear ratios incorrectly.

There are only 2 numbers, not 3, in a gear ratio and they refer to the amount of times the spool revolves for 1 handle revolution, very simple.  In your example the gear ratios are 6.2:1 and 6.9:1, not 6.2.1 and 6.9.1

The 300E spool revolves 6.2 times per handle revolution and the 300EJ revolves 6.9 times.  They have the same spool size so the extra 0.7 spool revolutions per handle revolution is what gives the extra 4" per crank to the EJ.

Felt "power" or "torque" from a given reel is a function of 3 variables:

-Inches per crank (this itself is a function of spool size and gear ratio)

-Handle length

-The build of the reel (i.e. a Tranx PG has more "power/torque" than a Curado 300E)

Drakl
Posted 4/29/2014 11:06 AM (#709309 - in reply to #709294)

Thanks bigfoot and tswoboda, your explantions were very good and easy to understand… actually yours tswoboda now helped me to understand more clearly bigfoot’s explanation.

So in conclusion, IPT will be directly affected by spool size and gear ratio but the ‘’felt torque or power’’ is a bit more more complex to calculate and not directly influenced by gear ratio and mostly influenced by other factors such as handle length (and strength I guess) and built/size of the reel.
bigfoot
Posted 4/29/2014 11:43 AM (#709315 - in reply to #709309)

This is how I would say it:
IPT determined by spool size and gear ratio

Resistance you feel (and will have to "work" against) related to length of handle and gear ratio

I'd ditch terms people use unless they are using them with respect to their scientific definition because it appears what one person calls "torque" or "power" means something else to another person.

for instance, power is the rate at which work is performed, and work is the product of force and distance blah blah blah

this is why these types of explanations are difficult cause someone will say a reel is more "powerful" than another, while scientifically that statement makes no sense!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)