Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Esox Maniac Trolling Motor Upgrade?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Esox Maniac Trolling Motor Upgrade?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/8/2014 8:16 AM (#697305)
Subject: Esox Maniac Trolling Motor Upgrade?

I'm also considering upgrading the TM on Esox Maniac. The existing TM is 12/24V cable drive Johnson, same age as the boat. The boat is a 1985 17'6' Skeeter SF150 bassboat. I've heard & read lots of negatives about pedals on non-cable units. Hard to diffentiate whats real and what may not be real... the dollars don't really matter. I want reliability and more power - I have a Hummminbird 997SI w/ GPS, etc. so having the ability to link and track structure/breaklines, trails or hold a specific spot would be nice.

What would you choose & why? Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Al
muskycop
Posted 3/8/2014 8:23 AM (#697308 - in reply to #697305)
Subject: Re: Esox Maniac Trolling Motor Upgrade?

Get a 36v Terrova with I pilot and you r good to go. 24v would work fine on that boat but my experience tells me that you can never have too much trolling motor
PJV
Posted 3/8/2014 8:30 AM (#697312 - in reply to #697308)

If you want to follow contour lines from the map chip, you'll need iPilot Link with a lake master v. 4 chip, not iPilot.

Most complaints I've read are about the powerdrive foot pedal, although I had one and never had a problem with it.

Don't see too many complaints about the Terrova pedal, although it is large. Offers a rocker steer like a cable drive or a left/right button.

Since getting the iPilot link, I don't use the pedal nearly as much as I used to.

And, Have Fun!

Edited by PJV 3/8/2014 8:32 AM
horsehunter
Posted 3/8/2014 9:08 AM (#697321 - in reply to #697305)

I had 1 powerdrive pedal last 3 months and 1 outlast 2 motors. I now have Ipilot and haven't got around to hooking up pedal yet better check it soon to make sure it works. I must also remember to put spare batteries for the remote in the boat. Lakemaster doesn't cover my area of Ontario so link is out for me.
PJV
Posted 3/8/2014 11:10 AM (#697363 - in reply to #697312)

Actually, I haven't researched thoroughly, but I'm now thinking that the 997 humminbird is not compatible with the iPilot link. You might need a 998 or newer to have Ethernet compatibility.

Yooper Padre
Posted 3/8/2014 1:48 PM (#697405 - in reply to #697363)

PJV - 3/8/2014 11:10 AM

Actually, I haven't researched thoroughly, but I'm now thinking that the 997 humminbird is not compatible with the iPilot link. You might need a 998 or newer to have Ethernet compatibility.

You are correct, the 997 is not compatible. Check here for a list of compatible units: http://www.minnkotamotors.com/_docs/Products/Accessories/i-Pilot_Li...

Fr. K
Clammer
Posted 3/8/2014 2:14 PM (#697414 - in reply to #697305)

Switched to a Terrova last spring after years with a cable drive unit. The pedal operates a bit of a different manner than the cable drive. On open water it is great and so nice with the features from spot lock, following a set route, auto pilot and if you go with the Ilink the contour and such. If you fish in and out of piers like for Bass, it has a bit of a learning curve and is not as quick to change direction. Not a big deal, but does take a bit of time to adjust to how it operates. I have been very happy with mine, and feel it was worth the investment. Looks like you need to upgrade your HB to enjoy all of the features of the Ilink.

Edited by Clammer 3/8/2014 2:15 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/10/2014 11:24 AM (#697912 - in reply to #697305)

I was talking with my son yesterday about the IPilot and HB997C SI incompatability issue, he's a commercial diver and avid fisherman. He suggested I use my Smartphone with the IPilot app and Lakemaster maps app. Is anyone using these? Experience(s)?????

Thanks
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 3/10/2014 11:24 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)