Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Full-Windshield or Single Console

Reply New post
Message Subject: Full-Windshield or Single Console
Matt DeVos
Posted 2/28/2014 4:37 PM (#694982)
Subject: Full-Windshield or Single Console

Looking for some advice...I'm just now considering entering the market for a new boat. Probably looking for a boat <18' (limited garage space), and probably would like to go glass. Don't want a tiller. Off hand, I'm considering a Larson 1750, Tuffy 1760, Stratos 1760, Recon 785...(any other suggestions, I'm all ears)...

But I'm looking for insight as to whether to go with a walk-through, full windshield or with a single console. On the one hand, the full windshield sounds really nice for comfort/staying dry especially in high seas in the colder months. My wife would be in favor of the full windshield, (which is a big plus). On the other hand, it seems like a full windshield on the smaller 17' glass boats that I've mentioned would really reduce the amount of open space. For instance, maybe a dumb question, but where do you lay a 9'+ rod when running between spots?

Anyways, any input would be appreciated, whether as to any of those boats mentioned, or, as to the windshield vs. single console issue.

Thanks.

MuskyMidget
Posted 2/28/2014 4:50 PM (#694985 - in reply to #694982)
Subject: Re: Full-Windshield or Single Console

My buddy runs a Ranger 620 with dual console. It's a sweet ride. However, on big water like LOTW, I would rather have the full windshield. I rode in an Alumacraft this summer on LOTW with a full windshield on a really heavy wind day and I was sold on the full wind shield. I personally don't think they look as "cool" as a boat without the full shield, but they are surely practical!
BrianF.
Posted 2/28/2014 5:00 PM (#694990 - in reply to #694982)
Subject: RE: Full-Windshield or Single Console

Would you ask your wife to sit on the hood of your car as you drive across town in nice weather? What about when its cool or cold? Rainy and wet? Super windy? Over super bumpy roads? How about during a bug storm? Those are the elements to which you are subjecting her to without a passenger console/windshield. Same for your other fishing buddies.

I've had both single and dual consoles and would never again have a single console on account of the experience for the passengers who are doing without. Put yourself in your passengers shoes and it ain't fun. So, my answer is 'dual console' and full windshield, but only if you care about the experiences that your passengers are having. To me, this is more important than mobility improvement or how neatly rods lay...but maybe I'm different than most.

BrianF

Edited by BrianF. 2/28/2014 5:02 PM
horsehunter
Posted 2/28/2014 5:34 PM (#694999 - in reply to #694982)

Full windshield stand up top propane heater for nov. dec. trolling space not issue on 18 foot boat. That's why we fish out of buddy's boat mine is single consol.

Edited by horsehunter 2/28/2014 5:36 PM
smbrickner
Posted 2/28/2014 5:36 PM (#695000 - in reply to #694982)

I went from Windshield, to dual console, to single console, to now a tiller. If I had to choose a console style in a shorter boat it would be a single console.

My wife doesn't fish when it's not nice out anyway.
fishhawk50
Posted 2/28/2014 5:45 PM (#695003 - in reply to #694982)

dual console for sure.. wish my windshields were a little taller though. 2006 620vs
Kingfisher
Posted 2/28/2014 5:52 PM (#695006 - in reply to #695000)

My wife fishes with me all the time. If you are going to have your wife in the boat, want her in the boat and enjoy her in the boat get a full windshield and a Bimini top. We own an older 18 foot Starcraft Super fisherman. Walk through windshield with a fold down Bimini. It has been so nice on days when the sun is blistering you or sleet is falling, rain snow, and when you want it out of your way it lays down and does not get in her way on her rear casting deck. I have more then enough room up front in this boat which has a 96 inch beam and reversed chines so it sits good and flat when casting. Not tippy at all. That windshield and top have saved so many days on the water its not funny. I hate tiller boats on big water love my little 14 foot jon tiller on small lakes. I had a side console it was okay. I still have this 2003 because it fishes awesome. Cast , troll, dry ride, Great boat and set up. Mike

Edited by Kingfisher 2/28/2014 5:53 PM
Mojo1269
Posted 2/28/2014 6:02 PM (#695011 - in reply to #695006)

1860 Angler; full windshield. Was going to get a dual console until I crossed Red Lake in a heavy wind in a buddy's full wind shield the year prior. Made the decison easy for me. If I lived in Kentucky I probaably would have A 620 tiller but with MN fall fashing in freezing temps...no way...at least for this guy..
muskie-nick
Posted 2/28/2014 6:44 PM (#695022 - in reply to #694982)

I have a full walk through windshield on my tuffy 1760 ...I would not be without one ....I am on st clair and the wind can come up quick and it is no fun getting sprayed ..especially in nov and dec ..... it does reduce some floor space with the second console but well worth it in my opinion
muskyhunter47
Posted 2/28/2014 7:06 PM (#695030 - in reply to #695022)

Skeeter makes some nice glass boats i have a MX 1825 .i would have a full Windshield but it was to tall to fit in my garage so i went with a dual nice boat
muskymania
Posted 2/28/2014 7:21 PM (#695034 - in reply to #695030)

Had full windshield on last boat (ranger 619) was nice driving in bad weather and windy conditions.full windshield was like a sail when you were fishing in windy conditions.went with a single counsel on the current boat (ranger 619) which gives more room be it for trolling , netting fish. Wind doesn't effect boat control when fishing in wind with single counsel. Way I looked at it the passenger doesn't pay the payment on the boat in moat cases. (Yours being different as its your wife) either option you choose will work. Best way to choose is if you can fish and drive in both options to get a feel for what its like.
muskyrat
Posted 2/28/2014 7:39 PM (#695039 - in reply to #695034)

There is no perfect choice ever. The full windshield will allow for a top and all weather fishing. However it makes a 20ft boat feel 18ft. Single console is half way to tiller. I would go full windshield or just let the old lady drive. I have a tiller and the boat is for me. No extra seat or back casting deck. If the passenger wants a perfect set up he can buy his own boat. That attitude does not cut it with the old lady though. Bimini top with side console could be a nice compromise.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 2/28/2014 10:09 PM (#695060 - in reply to #694982)

Like others said no right answer here. I have a single console alumacraft tourney pro that fishes awesome under most cases. That being said I love between Green Bay and lake Winnebago which is about the same size as Mille lacs. When it's rough on the big water I sure wish I had a windshield. And like kingfisher said I also use my boat with my family.

Problem is in a boat that size if you put a second console/ windshield in you loose a lot of casting space.
danmuskyman
Posted 2/28/2014 11:26 PM (#695065 - in reply to #694982)

I have a Tuffy 1760 single console and would not even consider a dual console or windshield on this boat. They had a dual console 1760 at the Milwaukee and Madison show and the space between the consoles is like 8"! I'm only 5'10" 180lbs and I could barely fit between them! Was a GIANT waste of space in my opinion. Dual console may be nice on a larger boat but on a 1760 I think it ruins the great space this boat has for a 17 1/2' boat.
btfish
Posted 3/2/2014 6:13 AM (#695272 - in reply to #695065)

Sure a full windshield will keep you dry. But if you muskie fish the second console takes up a bunch of space.

I run a single console and when it is rough the driest person in the boat is the person in the passengers chair. (It called sit backwards with the hood of your rain coat up
)
pnkocher
Posted 3/2/2014 7:45 AM (#695287 - in reply to #695272)

I went through this exact thing a year ago, and saw the same pro & con posts. I have a wife and two kids (8 & 10), that occasionally join me. Rest of time, I'm fishing locally, with a one week musky trip on big water. Due to my small garage, I too was limited in space. I went with a full windshield 16'4" G3. It's a great boat, it is nice in 3-4 foot rollers, it's nice to talk with your buddy while moving to spots, and the compartment is nice for storage......but it does take a lot of space and is tight to move around in, and the windshield does act like a sail when casting in wind. Tricky with 9 ft rods, a large net, and can't really walk the musky around the boat waiting for the net man.

My next boat will be a single console (assuming I'm still stuck with a small garage), and I'll just have some extra ponchos for guests (or tell them to bring appropriate gear if it's windy). No right or wrong as others have said, just sharing in case it helps.
Top H2O
Posted 3/2/2014 2:21 PM (#695384 - in reply to #695287)

I have a full windshield,...and always will..Did the single console, tiller, open cockpit with other people and it's more comfortable with the windshield.

Why do some of you guys have a problem fighting a fish with a windshield?
If you hook a fish in the front of the boat , fight it and net it there.....Same with the back....YOU control the fish, not the other way around..
I also use 9' rods , and have never hooked the windshield.

As far as casting ,trolling, netting, fighting, or measuring a fish....The windshield never comes into play as a negative.

It's all a matter of personal preference.
Matt DeVos
Posted 3/2/2014 8:45 PM (#695488 - in reply to #694982)

Thanks for the input, guys. Appreciate it.
bob1
Posted 3/3/2014 2:51 PM (#695728 - in reply to #694982)

My Ranger Reata 1850 has a full windshield. I would not have a boat without one! My last boat was a single console and the passenger got blasted. I have also been in several bass boats that had dual consoles. The windshields were so short, you might as well not have had them on the boat! In a bass boat, you cannot even turn around to get out of the wind!!!
BNelson
Posted 3/3/2014 3:23 PM (#695749 - in reply to #694982)

how long is your garage? can you kick out the back at all? maybe a 180VS Reatta would fit? good fish and ski/family rig
pnkocher
Posted 3/3/2014 8:35 PM (#695864 - in reply to #695384)

Top H2O - 3/2/2014 3:21 PM

I have a full windshield,...and always will..Did the single console, tiller, open cockpit with other people and it's more comfortable with the windshield.

Why do some of you guys have a problem fighting a fish with a windshield?
If you hook a fish in the front of the boat , fight it and net it there.....Same with the back....YOU control the fish, not the other way around..
I also use 9' rods , and have never hooked the windshield.

As far as casting ,trolling, netting, fighting, or measuring a fish....The windshield never comes into play as a negative.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

Yes, I AM controlling the fish by walking it around the boat, because I WANT to keep it going in one direction, duh. Who said anything about hooking a windshield?
Top H2O
Posted 3/3/2014 9:40 PM (#695887 - in reply to #695287)

pnkocher - 3/2/2014 7:45 AM

I went through this exact thing a year ago, and saw the same pro & con posts. I have a wife and two kids (8 & 10), that occasionally join me. Rest of time, I'm fishing locally, with a one week musky trip on big water. Due to my small garage, I too was limited in space. I went with a full windshield 16'4" G3. It's a great boat, it is nice in 3-4 foot rollers, it's nice to talk with your buddy while moving to spots, and the compartment is nice for storage......but it does take a lot of space and is tight to move around in, and the windshield does act like a sail when casting in wind. Tricky with 9 ft rods, a large net, and can't really walk the musky around the boat waiting for the net man.

My next boat will be a single console (assuming I'm still stuck with a small garage), and I'll just have some extra ponchos for guests (or tell them to bring appropriate gear if it's windy). No right or wrong as others have said, just sharing in case it helps.

My Bad.....I read: "Tricky with 9 ft. rods" meaning ...Lures clanking off the windshield....Sorry
Dubs350
Posted 3/6/2014 9:07 AM (#696670 - in reply to #694982)
Subject: RE: Full-Windshield or Single Console

I have a 690 single console great boat but when the weather isn't nice I look over at the passenger and think sucks to be you! We're both cold and wet me just a little bit less
musky1969
Posted 3/6/2014 9:23 AM (#696676 - in reply to #694982)

I have had a Tuffy Ospray 1760 DC for 12 years never lost a muskie because of the lack of room, I just wish it was a full windshield.
eightweight
Posted 3/6/2014 12:50 PM (#696758 - in reply to #694982)

prefer the single console as I beleive you have a lot more room
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)