Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Plow vs perch bait

Message Subject: Plow vs perch bait
Muskyteer
Posted 1/30/2014 8:35 AM (#688313)
Subject: Plow vs perch bait

Hi,
my partner and I, have been researching a lot on musky in the past few year to improve our succes rate. There is a lot of article out there that are talking about the bait size vs the time of the season.....like in spring they would suggest to use small lure to replicate the smaller bait fish and along the season summer, fall with the bait fish getter bigger to use bigger lure.

Now, is there such a thing of a lure that's to big? Plow vs perch bait....seems like the perch bait would get better succes then the plow.

Do you have any comment, experience to share or suggestion that would confirm or not my concerns.

thanks.
Paramuskyhunter
Posted 1/30/2014 9:00 AM (#688322 - in reply to #688313)
Subject: Re: Plow vs perch bait

In the spring use anything that can be worked slow and let it hang in front of them. I have seen some years all they want is the small twitch baits and small bucktails and then some years a 10 inch suick works in the spring. Also don’t forget to throw a WTD Top water in the spring.
During the summer I use anything that can trigger a bite usually a fast moving bucktail, Glide bait or a rubber bait of your choosing to reach the ambush spots on drop offs they are sitting on.
In the fall I guess I am like the rest of the musky anglers all my little tackle goes away and i start throwing all the stuff my friends look at me crazy for having. October is a special month.
Cal
Posted 1/30/2014 9:02 AM (#688323 - in reply to #688313)

No correct answer. Yes and No. Tons of big fish fall to 6" baits each year. They also fall to 12" baits. Next time you catch a fish pay attention to its mouth size. I had a dinky little 30" on a 9" Triple-D last year, hit the bait sideways so it was plastered across his yap. There wasn't much bait showing from the corners of its mouth.

The more I fish some of the bigger stuff, the more I want to fish the bigger stuff. I see more fish throwing larger baits. I believe the thump or water displacement of a larger bait calls them in from further away or at least gets their attention/interest whether they want to eat or not. I think that smaller baits can be ignored easier.
Smallest bait I will use is a 6" jerkbait. Largest maybe a 10 or 12" crank, for the waters I fish (generally having "smaller" fish lots of mid 30's population, decent 40's population, and a chance at a 50.")
scmuskies
Posted 1/30/2014 9:33 AM (#688325 - in reply to #688323)

Both work and both catch fish. Got walleyes down to 22" on the Plows already. Fish what works for your lake or what you have confidence in.
horsehunter
Posted 1/30/2014 2:50 PM (#688375 - in reply to #688313)

I have never subscribed to the small bait in the spring because the baitfish are small theory. Muskies feed on the spawners not the spawn. I'm not saying that muskies won't take small lures they will spring summer and fall. About 20 years ago after losing a medium sized fish that had inhaled a small bait into its gills and the back of it's throat I decided I wouldn't use lures that could be inhaled. No lure is too big for a muskie but when you get much over 14 inches you have trouble keeping them hooked. Years ago we made some huge Grandma type lures that got hit but we never landed a fish. John Parry maker of the Parrywinkle discovered the same thing when he made his lures in larger sizes .For me 9 to 13 inches is what I use from June to Dec. I once was fishing with a friend when we noticed a disturbance on the water he netted a 28 inch walleye that was about half scaled and tore up I would have liked to caught the fish that had been working on that. Another time a mid 30's fish on my line was T-boned by a larger but not a huge fish.
Muskyteer
Posted 1/31/2014 6:34 AM (#688459 - in reply to #688313)

thanks guys for your input!!! It's really appreciated!!
allegheny river kid
Posted 1/31/2014 7:35 AM (#688465 - in reply to #688313)

For me I chose the perchbait hands down over the plow. A lot probably depends on where you fish. Both great baits
Muskyteer
Posted 1/31/2014 11:58 AM (#688543 - in reply to #688313)

I fish mostly Rivers vs lakes!!
muskyrat
Posted 2/2/2014 11:22 AM (#688901 - in reply to #688313)
Subject: RE: Plow vs perch bait

Well keep in mind the plow is not something you cast. It will dive 30' so the river should be big if you want to troll plows. I almost always go for the smaller baits as they are more fish friendly. The new 5" perch baits are fish catchers. I only go for the Plow if I'm targeting big deep fish in the fall. The perch bait will only dive to the 20' range so the plow gets quit a bit deeper. These are primarily trolling baits and the fish almost never swallow them trolling so I can say for the most part as the size of the lure goes up so does the damage to the fish.
Cody
Posted 2/2/2014 12:17 PM (#688910 - in reply to #688313)

For the difference in money I would go with the Perchbait, form what I hear it works very well too ! I only own the Perchbaits.
muskyrat
Posted 2/2/2014 2:17 PM (#688938 - in reply to #688313)

Go for the Jr. in strait and the perchbait in jointed. The outcast are good but will not run behind a weight. Better for long line shallow trolling. Run the Jr. on 50lb. line for best results.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 2/3/2014 3:45 PM (#689234 - in reply to #688313)

I love throwing big stuff. Pounders, MegaDussas, Bucketheads, 10" Jakes. But, small stuff has their place. And sometimes, it's not just always in the spring. Most of us are always more apt to start small in the spring and work our way bigger as the season progresses. Why? Is that what we've been told to do for so long so that's what we do? Now, personally, I caught one of my biggest fish on the smallest bucktail I own. But, I remember reading an article about Ken Worel, who designed a bucktail call the Zippity-Do-Da. The article stated that out of all the muskies Ken has caught, 8% of them were 50"+. He believed in throwing small lures like his bucktail. His reasoning - Big bucktails are great for hungry muskies. But, muskies can be just like people after eating a big Thanksgiving dinner. People mill around the house, and if there is a small snack like a cracker, or piece of cheese, maybe a few M&M's, people will snack on those. He believes muskies can be the same way. Maybe that's why he's caught so many big fish while using smaller lures. His small bucktail is only 6" long from top to end of hook. Maybe that's why sometimes the bass guys on the lake will hook many more muskies than us. Maybe that's why we always hear of giant muskies being caught by walleye guys. Who knows.... *shrug*
muskyrat
Posted 2/4/2014 6:10 PM (#689451 - in reply to #688313)

The one thing I don`t understand is the trend of casting magnum lures like double 10 blades and huge blobs of rubber. All your doing is busting your elbow and mangling small fish. I mean if your targeting big fish on big water ok but that's all I see people throwing now days. I save the magnum stuff for trolling big fish waters. Otherwise give me a nice easy Rizzo wiz to cast. Couldn`t agree more that big stuff is more for finding active fish than targeting big fish. You can see a cowgirl from a mile away so you can cover more water with less casts. That's the main advantage. As for big fish I have caught more 50ies on 5" baits than 10" baits. Remember Muskies have to eat whatever they can. Not just a certain size bait. People who think muskies only target certain forage over other forage are fools. If that was the case they would never eat lures.
jano
Posted 2/4/2014 6:17 PM (#689454 - in reply to #688313)

imo all the boyer's lineup are made for trolling,it's really not pleasanT TO CAST LURE THAT KICK HARD AND GO REALLY DEEP
allegheny river kid
Posted 2/4/2014 6:58 PM (#689465 - in reply to #688313)

The past few seasons out east small baits have really shined. Tuff shads, boss shads, alley cats, lil hammers, wileys etc. They have produced some big fish throughout the season.
cast4musky
Posted 2/7/2014 7:29 AM (#689974 - in reply to #688313)

Odds are if you actually go threw your many lures one afternoon and make a list of the lures that actually caught fish I would almost Guarantee you that most of the Baits would be the smaller baits under 5-7 inches...And you will have a lot of Large and Extra large baits that Look Awesome, with Bright colors, with Flash, and Foils, and Natural colors that look like real fish.... Actually they did catch something YOU.......lol
woodieb8
Posted 2/7/2014 8:48 AM (#689991 - in reply to #688313)

biggers not usally better here only fall.
as for the baits mentioned each has there place.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)