Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Damaged suick help

Message Subject: Damaged suick help
Ferg
Posted 9/29/2013 3:33 PM (#665843)
Subject: Damaged suick help

I have a wood unweighted suick that has a crack running from where the metal lip attaches to the tail down the side of the lure. The lure became waterlogged and became negatively buoyant, falling tail first. Obviously this killed the action. It hasnt been fished since May. I am hoping that it has dried out enough for me to try to fix it.

Does anyone have experience with fixing waterlogged baits or fixing cracks. Trying to do some research before I ruin a newer lure that could be fixed. Whats the best product to seal a crack? Any advice helps
newmuskyz
Posted 9/29/2013 8:46 PM (#665885 - in reply to #665843)
Subject: RE: Damaged suick help

It is as dry as it will get now. Use epoxy putty to fill the crack after sanding, then sand it smooth. Use a clear two part epoxy or spray sealer to seal it, then paint and seal again. Depends on how much you are willing to put into it and what you have access too, but it can be fixed. You may also want to post this question on the basement baits forum.
Posted 9/29/2013 9:47 PM (#665891 - in reply to #665843)

You can fill the crack. That might slow it getting waterlogged from the inside out. But I don't know about sealing it. All my suicks get waterlogged if I use them steady. The aren't sealed at all stock. They have that little layer of paint but the first time you throw it that starts getting scraped off. I can't believe the paint keeps out any water.

I've considered soaking them in a light oil that will penetrate a bit, to try and slow the water absorption rate. Never tried it though. I've got a few i got 2nd hand that are coated in envirotex but they just don't move the same, that extra weight makes them sluggish. Maybe mine just have bad envirotex jobs.

I'm pretty much resigned to having a bunch of suicks and when one starts to get a little too heavy for my taste stop throwing it for a while.

It's not a problem for most musky fishermen, with switching around baits. But when you;re mvoing fish on suicks and got a suick that's running well, it's a drag to have to retire it.

I hope some other people comment. Some guys throw suicks A LOT and have for years. Must have some tricks and tips.
hawkeye9
Posted 9/30/2013 9:26 AM (#665939 - in reply to #665891)

I'm a newer suick fan, but what I've learned quickly is that no two suicks (minus perhaps the new HI) run the same. I've got a couple that I like a lot better after they're soaked for a while. I've even thought about throwing them in a pale of water the night before a trip (haven't actually tried that yet, though). I suppose eveyone works the bait a bit different and triggers fish in different ways.

My bet is that Mr. Worrall will have some helpful advice, though, on the benefits/drawbacks to sealing a wooden suick.
Ferg
Posted 9/30/2013 10:48 AM (#665957 - in reply to #665843)
Subject: Re: Damaged suick help

Thanks for the advice guys. Im gonna get right on this
Grass
Posted 10/1/2013 12:44 PM (#666199 - in reply to #665843)

I think the custom suicks that I have with an extra coat of epoxy on them run even better than the new ones out of the box. I like how they work a little deeper than the plain painted suicks, but still have enough bouancy to back out of the weeds.

Grass,
FSF
Posted 10/1/2013 6:25 PM (#666298 - in reply to #665843)

I would use some artificial wood to fill the crack and then sand and paint, IF this was a suick that ran well for you, I would never epoxy or envirotex and expect to recover the same action. In my experience it just won't work. The suick may still be usable but won't have the action you liked before, it will be changed, much like the things they buried in Pet Semetary.

I would just get another suick or 4 and look for one that I like the action on. They can be kind of delicate in relation to their action, it doesn't take much water logging, or damage to the tail angle to change their action. If you tune them dry, and they have been chewed on and cast a few times, that tuning will change as you fish. A new one, that has intact wood and paint, will stay in tune longer, barring some critter messing with the tailfin.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)