Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> help! st croix sling blade advice

Message Subject: help! st croix sling blade advice
jrp12333
Posted 9/27/2013 6:12 PM (#665607)
Subject: help! st croix sling blade advice

does anyone think a slind blade blank built as a spinning rod will cast a 1.5oz bucktail jig? currently use the discontinued gloomis mu946...works fine but I want something a lil longer and all graphite...for saltwater. I like light and super fast
jonnysled
Posted 9/27/2013 6:19 PM (#665610 - in reply to #665607)
Subject: Re: help! st croix sling blade advice

send a pm to flambeauski .... he can probably answer and give you a better choice that's built specifically for spinning out of the st. croix arsenal.

Posted 9/27/2013 6:47 PM (#665612 - in reply to #665607)
Subject: RE: help! st croix sling blade advice

ive seen their spinners...even the heavy 8' avid inshore just seem too delicate. application is 30lb bull reds in heavy current, tarpon and snook stopping/moving them quickly away from bridge fenders. need a lot of backbone with true fast action and tip. salt guys don't know what their missing out on with some of these musky blanks.
Flambeauski
Posted 9/27/2013 7:28 PM (#665617 - in reply to #665607)

Check out the LSWS80HM. A little overbuilt as is but the blank would be pretty close. SC's version of mod action is still faster than most blanks. Sling blank will work pretty good too, casts 1.5 easy, definitely faster than the LSWS. Too fast might be an issue. It's tough but not as tough as the LSWS.
Jerry Sondag would probably be a better source than myself for the perfect one.
jrp12333
Posted 9/27/2013 9:03 PM (#665622 - in reply to #665617)

too fast sounds perfect! ive tried lots of others but they all seem sluggish compared to the loomis mu946. i like super responsive and instant feel...if the jig hits the rocky bottom of the inlet i want to get it off immediatley and get an instant hook set from good distances. the sling blade sounds perfect. the high end graphite "kick" as i like to call it and about six to eight inches is all the mu946 lacks. my biggest concern was its ability to cast 1.5oz so with that cleared up i think il have to pull the trigger on a slingblade blank. thanks for the advice much appreciated!
BenR
Posted 9/27/2013 9:54 PM (#665628 - in reply to #665607)

I had my jig rod built on the 7'10" avid flipping blank for spinning and it works great. I used to use a 7'6", the added length and quickness has worked well for me. BR
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)