Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> New Daiwa Lexa 400

Message Subject: New Daiwa Lexa 400
Posted 9/24/2013 12:01 AM (#665021 - in reply to #649771)
Subject: RE: New Daiwa Lexa 400

Thanks you! for this review
"The Lexa has a disengaging levelwind" this is a huge disapointment, had hoped not . Pikemaster suggested otherwise (above inthis thread) but that was a while ago and maybe they changed it. Even on the 400D the disengage levelwind robs distance and smoothness when casting when the guide is over to either edge of the spool. I've read that this is less of a problem with a slick braid in the 65# range. But this isn't any kind of solution since 65# line is a liability for most musky applications, special big plastic and jerks.
Otherwise, sounds promising.
Tigerhunter
Posted 9/24/2013 1:23 AM (#665029 - in reply to #649771)
Subject: Re: New Daiwa Lexa 400

Thanks for the review! I have a few questions if you don't mind....

I am concerned with the size and doubt anywhere around me will have them in stock to handle when they come out, does it still feel like a low profile reel or is it bulky like a round reel?

In regards to the bucktail, do you think the power handle would've made a big difference in the fatigue?

Glider, do you think if you train yourself you would be able to slow down the retrieve to where you want or is it way too fast for that type of bait?

I generally throw 3 baits: glider (hellhound), dive and rise (sledge), and bucktails (mostly 8's, 10's at night/slow in the fall). I feel the line pickup will help get the 8's back to the boat at a speed I like as well as help with the dive and rise. The reel I have now has a pickup of 27" and I feel I am trying way to hard to pick up the slack.

Do you think the 6.3:1 would be a better match to what I am looking for? I should mention you can count the number of times I get out a season on two hands, sometimes one.

Thanks!
Peter Stoltman
Posted 9/25/2013 7:48 AM (#665212 - in reply to #649771)

Size is somewhere in between a more conventional low profile like the Abu Revos, Shimano Curado etc. and the Tranx. I've got pretty good sized paws so size wasn't a huge issue to me. I suspect if you've palmed a round reel before this won't bother you much.

Power handle might have made a slight difference in fatigue to me but frankly I don't think much. The standard paddle handle has a good sized grip that felt very comfortable. I just think that 7.1:1 ratio is a bit too much for the double 10's. I had a Calcutta 400 TE in the boat with me and was able to bring in the Cowgirl just as fast with that by cranking a bit faster. Truthfully I prefer to crank faster with less resistance than to crank slower with more resistance if that makes any sense.

Could I train myself to use the 7.1 to throw gliders? Yes probably but it would involve some time to really slow down my rhythm. It would be a learning curve that I'm probably not willing to do when I've got a whole locker full of reels that I'm very comfortable with for my gliders.

Of the baits you mention I think your biggest benefit will be with the Sledge since they are so buoyant. It will allow you to get that lure moving and pulling it faster to get the dive and rise.

Your last statement is probably the most important one. In my opinion reels just like any other tackle are nothing more than tools. Most of the reels on the market are designed fairly well although there are pluses and minuses to various designs. Reels in the mid range of gearing/line pickup are without a doubt the most versatile. When you get to either side of that, either fast or slow then you are looking at a tool for a specific purpose. It will do that job well but you can't expect it to do everything well. Think of it like this, if you were to go out and play a round of golf with only one club in your bag would you choose a putter or a driver? My logic is: neither. I'd take something like a 5 iron that I could use with reasonable expectations of moving the ball down the course. Now nobody plays golf with one club. Most fishermen in this day and age don't go out with only one rig either. So if you have the funds to outfit yourself with a fast, slow, and medium rig then by all means go for it. If you can only do two I'd suggest a medium and most likely a fast/high speed combination. If you can only afford one or your time on the water dictates that more than one rig is not practical then a medium setup is going to give you more bang for the buck. I think this reel falls in the category of a specialized reel that does one thing. It does it well but it is not going to be the outfit that I throw all day long by any stretch of the imagination unless I'm just using it for one lure type and sticking with that game plan. To answer your question yes, I think the 6.3:1 is probably going to give you more service than the 7.1:1.
kodiak
Posted 9/25/2013 7:58 AM (#665214 - in reply to #665212)

the 7:1 would be rad for dive n rise
Peter Stoltman
Posted 9/25/2013 8:06 AM (#665215 - in reply to #649771)

Yes, dive and rise and for lures that you would do a rod sweep and pickup slack. I do this for some crankbaits and certainly stuff like Hardheads, Dawgs, Martins, etc.
Posted 9/25/2013 12:50 PM (#665242 - in reply to #649771)
Subject: RE: New Daiwa Lexa 400

Purely in terms of the reel: you mention the issue of castablity re. levelwind. Sounds problematic for baits <2 oz and not a problem for the really big stuff. I'm interested for 10/12" suicks -- these might be somewhat equivalent to the 8" reef hawg you threw. How did the non-disengaging levelwind seem to affect casting mid-range like the reef hawg?
BWT, thanks for including the info on line used.

In terms of the rod -- I've used this rod a little bit and my opinion completely agree that it is way over-rated lure weight. Throws the small stuff nicely, and retrieves low-resistance baits fine.
Peter Stoltman
Posted 9/25/2013 1:20 PM (#665248 - in reply to #649771)

It was fair for distance but not great.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)